Hope C2 Squeal

Johnnyvee
Johnnyvee Posts: 67
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, have just rebuilt my 1999 Marin Wolf Ridge and whilst doing this replaced the crackered Manitou forks with some Marzocchi Marathon LR forks. I also stripped down and rebuilt my Hope C2 calipers with new seals and bled them.

I made sure I followed the Hope tech pages and centered the pistons in the calipers and fitted new pads. I cleaned the discs with degreaser and tightened everything up with threadlock on the bolts holding the caliper to the forks.

Went for a quick test spin around the block and everything was smooth and quiet. Went out for a longer ride on a drizzly day and all that the fronts now do is squeal, they still stop but the noise is ridiculous. I've checked all the bolts are still tight, that the disc is centred as are the piston and that both pads are hitting the disc at the same time. All seems to be as it should be and I can't spot anything that may be the cause of the noise which must come from vibration at some point in the system.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can rectify this without buying new brakes?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    They were notorious for squealing. Comes and goes. Some people swore by doing things like pouring coke on them. These people were idiots.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what degreaser?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I read on a post that I found when I Googled the issue to only use meths to clean the discs. So that's what I did. Here's the link to the advice I followed...

bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/airtight/mtb/tech_tips/sqealing_hopes.shtml

I now have to consider the rest of the tips suggested but am getting fairly hacked off with it.
  • benpinnick
    Well thats problem number 1. Only use Isopropyl alcohol or disc cleaner (and tbh isopropyl is better).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • So have I now screwed up the new pads that I put in or will cleaning the disc with disc cleaner be sufficient to resolve "problem number 1".
  • benpinnick
    Hmm, Im not sure, tbh you could probably just clean the discs and scrub the surface of the pads. Do bea in mind though that C2s were really, really bad for squealing, and so you may go mad trying to fix it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • If new forks are IS then it may be the mounts need facing and/or re-shimming to get straight and central?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    maringirl wrote:
    If new forks are IS then it may be the mounts need facing and/or re-shimming to get straight and central?

This ^^^^^

They had to be dead straight on the disc which could take hours messing with shims. Get the mounts faced and get a bag of shims and be prepared to spend a whole day faffing. When you have got it all dead square it will probably still squeal :lol:

Different pads sometimes worked I seem to remember EBC red compound worked best if they are still available.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Rather than go mad I may just buy some new brakes since there are a few offers on around at the moment.

Thanks for comments so far - it may just be more messing about than I have time for....