test

greggow
greggow Posts: 28
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
test

Comments

• What pressures do you run the tyres at and what caused the punctures? That does seem a lot. I've been hammering my bike offroad for 6 months and only had my first puncture last week. Just remember even if you do go tubeless you'll need to carry a spare tube and fix a puncture the traditional way anyway.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    As post above , what type of punctures are you getting.

Change your tyres for ones that have puncture protection and fit better tubes . For the terrain you are riding I would be surprised if you get more than one puncture per year.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Tyres do make a difference. I used to suffer very frequent punctures, but in recent years I hardly get any. I run Maxxis, Kenda and Continental tyres, and stay away from ultralight race tyres, and manage fine.
    I have no experience of Specialized tyres at all, but maybe others can confirm whether or not they're relatively vulnerable tyres?
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I have no experience of Specialized tyres at all, but maybe others can confirm whether or not they're relatively vulnerable tyres?

If they are the Specialized tyres that came with the bike as new hold them up to the light , you can see through them as they are like tissue paper.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ah, bin them and get something else then!
    OEM tyres are often very cheap editions anyway.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I had the captain tyres when I got my camber from new
    I never had a problem with that many punctures on them,
    they do come in 2 different types control and Fast Trak which are the light and very thin option, I had a fast trak on the front and a control on rear but like I said not many punctures and did a fair bit of riding on them, I did split the sidewall of the front tyre but it was nearly worn out anyway and that was the fast trak thin one.
    I now use the Ground Control tyres but have gone tubless with then and found them really easy to go tubless just yellow rim tape and tubless valve with stans sealant tyres inflate really easy as well with just a track pump

Also I can get the tyre off without getting the sealant everywhere I just remove one side and scoop the sealant out
    no mess
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Road orientated tyres (I asume you commute on a road) are less puncture prone as they have less thin carcass and more tread area, on my commuter I have had 2 punctures in 3000 miles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • greggow
    greggow Posts: 28
    edited July 2019
    test
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    RyanCTJ wrote:
    What pressures do you run the tyres at and what caused the punctures? That does seem a lot. I've been hammering my bike offroad for 6 months and only had my first puncture last week. Just remember even if you do go tubeless you'll need to carry a spare tube and fix a puncture the traditional way anyway.

What's wrong with the tubeless puncture kit, similar to the kits used for motorbike tyre punctures, do they not work?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • It's a trail side thing.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah good luck trying to seat the tyre and pump it up again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • greggow wrote:
    Thanks for the replys the tyres arent originals I replaced the original ones as they were a bit wornI got specialized the captain sports which wern't cheap at £30 each.The recommended tyre pressures are 35-65 psi or 2.5-4.5bar I tend to run at the higher pressure.
    The last puncture was a large screw about 2 " long the one before that was a nail and I have had glass and the usual thorns (particularly bad when the farmer cuts the hedges).I got rid of my road bike as I got fed up with buckled wheels so now commute on an 09 stumpjumper hardtail

I've also got these sports control 2.0 and so far i've not had a puncture and i ride on a cycle path which is covered in broken glass, nails, screws, broken branches and sharp thorns and on occasion people fighting with axes in gang warfare (not joking) i run on low pressure with tubes, not had any trouble. You might be better getting armadillo branded tyres, they are even thicker than the sport and harder but have even less grip.

Higher pressure is great for speed but crap for any sharp objects that might be on the ground., lower your pressure and try again, just be warned it's slightly harder to build speed
  • I have decided to bite the bullet and go tubeless will my rims and tyres be ok for this ? Does anyone know how much a bike shop would charge for this service presuming i could use my own rims ??? I dont mind having to change the tyres if necessary its just the thought of flats in winter on early morns is filling me with dread thanx
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Tyres and rims should be fine
    Mine were nice and easy to convert just some yellow rim tape and a bottle of Stans sealant under £20 job done :)
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • I had a look on an auction website and there is a 'conversion kit' available but they are around the £50 mark thats per wheel !!!! I cant justify that spend at present ...........
  • greggow wrote:
    I had a look on an auction website and there is a 'conversion kit' available but they are around the £50 mark thats per wheel !!!! I cant justify that spend at present ...........

Google Ghetto tubeless.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    cooldad wrote:
    Yeah good luck trying to seat the tyre and pump it up again.

Ah, ok, with you now...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!