Lock out front forks/ how much play

gpm
gpm Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi there

When you lock out your front forks should there be any play, if so how much should there be.The thing is I went to try out a rockrider 8.1 today and there seemed to be a lot of play when you locked out.

Cheers gary

Comments

• Play is different to travel. What do you mean? In lockout mode there should be some travel
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    With Rockshox, around 10-20mm of movment.
  • My Manitou Marvel has no play or probably a mm or two.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But they're not Manitou Marvels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • And if it has some play, perhaps consider tightening the headset to remove it.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    do you mean fork travel ? depending on the make and model it can vary.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    And if it has some play, perhaps consider tightening the headset to remove it.
    er...
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    gpm wrote:
    Hi there

When you lock out your front forks should there be any play, if so how much should there be.The thing is I went to try out a rockrider 8.1 today and there seemed to be a lot of play when you locked out.

Cheers gary

Did you notice it whilst riding normally or were you whacking the bars up and down to test he stiff it was?

I always noticed some play in my reba's, but nothing noticeable in normal riding. Depending upon the model it isn't actually locked but will give some travel when hit hard.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • gpm
    Cheers for the replies, i should have said travel rather then play. 97th choice it was as you say whacking the bars up and down while still, not riding. Being new to all this i thought there might be a little travel when locked but 8.1 forks seemed more then a little.

thanks gary
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    gpm wrote:
    Cheers for the replies, i should have said travel rather then play. 97th choice it was as you say whacking the bars up and down while still, not riding. Being new to all this i thought there might be a little travel when locked but 8.1 forks seemed more then a little.

thanks gary
    so you were simulation taking a hit with the lockout on, and the fork did what its designed to do in those situations
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I have this bike OP, there is a little travel when locked out and this is the way it should be. Useful when you forget to disengage the lockout like I do sometimes!
  • gpm
    Thanks all, danlighbulb are you happy with the bike.

Gary
  • Yes I love it. So much better than my previous one and I think will last me a good few years.