Pasteys Cube Litening Super HPT Titanium.WIP.

pastey_boy
pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
edited September 2015 in Your road bikes
Here is the bike all finished. Very happy with the end result. I need to get some decals made for the forks and the Sram Red chainset is only in place until the Kcnc chainset turns up that I have ordered which should be sub 700 grams inc BB.

Spec list
Frame: Cube Litening Super HPT Titanium 1295 grams
Forks: Easton EC90 Sl 339 grams
Bars: Planet X Nano Compact carbon 210 grams
Stem: Deda Zero 100 servizio corse with blue ti bolt kit 101 grams
Headset: Crank Bros Cobalt XC 64 grams
Bar Tape: Lizard Skins DSP

Front Brake Lever: Sram Force
Front Caliper: Planet X cnc Ti hardware 103 grams
Rear Brake Lever: Sram Force
Rear Caliper: Planet X cnc Ti hardware 101 grams

Shifters: Sram Force Doubletap 306 grams
Cables: Jawire kevlar outers, Teflon inners and Middleburn oilers
Front Mech: Sram Force + Kcnc band on adapter 102 grams
Rear Mech: Sram Force 178 grams

Seat: Charge Knife ti 209 grams
Seat Post: Easton EC90 Zero with ti bolt kit 160 grams
Seat Post Clamp: Token superlight cnc, ti bolt 12 grams

Cranks: Kcnc RD2 175mm compact 50/34t 658 grams inc BB fitted with Tiso chainring bolts
Chain: Clarks Sl 10 spd 278 grams
Cassette: Ultegra 6700 11/28 230 grams
Pedals: Speedplay X5 chromo 212 grams

Front Wheel: Shimano RS80 c24 629 grams
Tube: Zipp Tangente 89grams
Tire: Specialized Turbo Pro 700x23c 201 grams

Back Wheel: Shimano RS80 c24 887 grams
Tube: Zipp Tangente 89grams
Tire: Specialized Turbo Pro 700x23c 201 grams
Qr skewers: Aest ti 35 grams pair

Accessories: Smart wireless computer, Titanium bottle cages 22 grams each

Weight: 7.1 kg
Pics.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
Viner Salviati
Shark Aero Pro
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Cove Hummer XC Ti

Comments

• Neale1978
    Neale1978 Posts: 484
    Wow! thats an odd looking road bike sir!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Very unique!
  • Neale1978
    I see what you did there :roll:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    congratulations
  • Neale1978
    sarcastic a****

try to get your pictures right first time, next time :!:
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Lovely.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Sweet.

How does it ride?
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    post crop vignette -38 :D
  • pastey_boy
    Harry182 wrote:
    Sweet.

How does it ride?
    My initial findings are positive. It felt smooth and fast and the harshness I was expecting from the tubing wasn't there, although the wheels and narrow Ti post probably had a lot to do with the comfort. Position wise I,m going to fit a slightly shorter stem. The bike actually feels smoother than the Titus frame it has replaced, and I ran that with briefly with these wheels. I have not done any high speed descending yet so cannot comment on its prowess in that area. As previously mentioned I am changing the standard ringed Sram Red cranks for a set of uber light kcnc compacts which should take the bike just under 15 and a half pounds, could get it lighter by going for silly light wheels but I like a bit of durability with my bikes. The aspect I am most pleased with though is the paint job I did on the forks. After I had sanded down the original carbon finish I started to panic and worry I had done the wrong thing, but with a lot of patience they came out great.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    nweststeyn wrote:
    post crop vignette -38 :D
    I took the photo's on my humble s3 and then used a program call Pixlr-o-matic to give them an arty farty type of look.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    I'm going to use the titanium post and stem off this bike for my next project. In their place will be a 3t dorico ltd carbon, ti bolts seatpost and a Deda zero 100 SC stem with ti bolts. Weight should be almost the same but my position should be better. Just spoke to my decal man and for my forks he's going to make me some Cube and Easton logo's in the same shade of blue that features in the frames livery. I'm thinking about removing the red drop-out and polishing it, as the red seems at odds with the rest of the bike.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Very tidy indeed!

I really like the attention to the neatness of everything like the cabling and bar tape you've done - it annoys me when I see bar tape just wrapped unevenly and cabling that's all over the gaff.

For me though too much blue - white lizard skins tape and all black tyres on that bike would look really nice, but it's your bike and fair play to you it's very well done.
  • pastey_boy
    Sharpy_lad wrote:
    Very tidy indeed!

I really like the attention to the neatness of everything like the cabling and bar tape you've done - it annoys me when I see bar tape just wrapped unevenly and cabling that's all over the gaff.

For me though too much blue - white lizard skins tape and all black tyres on that bike would look really nice, but it's your bike and fair play to you it's very well done.
    In a world of non oily big clumsy hands, white bar tape would be in place but having made that mistake in the past then blue it is. On the subject of Lizard Skins tape, I have to say that its amazing stuff. It feels so comfy yet grippy and it should last a while too, expensive but when you feel it you understand why. I fit Middleburn oilers to all my cables, they are invaluable on road bikes when you have no access to the under tape cables. A squirt of silicon spray every now and again keeps the cables silky smooth for years.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Here are the two new bits I,m fitting to shave some weight. First is 3T doric LTD post that weighs in at a tiny 141grams and second is the KCNC rd2 compact chainset that weighs an equally impressive 658grams inc bb and all the fixing bolts. In all im saving over quarter of a pound .
    20121011_131930.jpg
    20121011_132439.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Here she is with her new bits fitted, new weight is 7.1 kg
    100.jpg
    200.jpg
    300.jpg
    400.jpg
    500.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    I have decided to build a super light set of wheels. They will be 32 spoked so should be relatively strong for their weight, these will consist of :
    1 pair Stans No-tubes Alpha 340 rims 700 grams pair
    1 pair Circus Monkey 32h hubs 302 grams pair
    64 x Dt Swiss Revolution spokes 306 grams
    64 x Dt Swiss 12mm alloy nipples 19 grams
    Approx weight inc yellow tape and ust valves 1350 grams
    Tyres Hutchinson Atom Tubeless 265 grams each
    Weight saving over fitted wheel/tyres 240 grams
    Wheels will cost £296 and £80 for the tyres.
    These will be built over the coming few months as I am not in a hurry for them plus there will be new tubeless road tyres coming out from all the big players so my tyre choice may change.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    I like the build and the frame is very nice.
    I am not keen on the colour of the fork though draws the eye away from that lovely frame, although to be fair that may be the camera making it seem brighter.
  • pastey_boy
    colsoop wrote:
    I like the build and the frame is very nice.
    I am not keen on the colour of the fork though draws the eye away from that lovely frame, although to be fair that may be the camera making it seem brighter.
    The forks are extremely white but once the decals are applied they should make sense, the original cube build had white ec90sl's and it looked lovely in my opinion. The camera does seem to exacerbate the effect somewhat.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    After the first proper ride yesterday I have decided to make a couple of minor changes. Even though the slr flow carbonio saddle is superlight and relatively comfy, it seems to lose that comfort after about an hours riding so I have ordered a white Charge Knife saddle as i use Charge saddles on all my other bikes and know them to suit me. Also going back to an inline post so an Easton EC90 zero post is on it's way. Other than that the bike felt great, comfy when seated yet solid when climbing.
    P.s If anyone is interested, Evans are selling Charge Knifes in black or white for £38.99 !!!!!
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Tubes to Conti supersonics and chain to a KMC x10sl and you'll be under 7kg without too much expense (given you go back to the Selle Italia!)
  • pastey_boy
    Sharpy_lad wrote:
    Tubes to Conti supersonics and chain to a KMC x10sl and you'll be under 7kg without too much expense (given you go back to the Selle Italia!)
    I was going to go all out and try to get the bike under 15lbs but after the ride yesterday I realised i would be giving up too much comfort and usability to get there.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Just fitted a few new bits to the bike today.
    Charge Knife saddle
    Easton EC90 post
    Niterider Solas 2 watt rechargeable light
    Electron Terra 3 800 lumens head light.
    So now my bike is comfy and night time motorist should see me coming. The Solas rear led is stupendously bright and the Electron is a neat all in one unit that runs at 800 lumens for 3-4 hours.
    terra.jpg
    knife.jpg
    ec90.jpg
    solas.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Great looking bike, well done!
    Enjoyed the work-in-progress thread too, very entertaining!

Did you ever get a PDF the exact frame dimensions (pref. the 60)? I want to get the trigonometry skills going and compare the exact fit to what has been reccomended for me

Cheers!
  • Lovely looking bike mate!

Is this not the thread I was reading last night with that guy who created 2 accounts to "prove" a point? Has everything been deleted?
  • pastey_boy
    Lovely looking bike mate!

Is this not the thread I was reading last night with that guy who created 2 accounts to "prove" a point? Has everything been deleted?
    I restarted the thread as it all got a bit too comical for a new bike thread, the original thread is still here entitled "Death of a cruiserweight".
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Great looking bike, well done!
    Enjoyed the work-in-progress thread too, very entertaining!

Did you ever get a PDF the exact frame dimensions (pref. the 60)? I want to get the trigonometry skills going and compare the exact fit to what has been reccomended for me

Cheers!
    I never got a Pdf. Being honest the sizing is very, very confusing and I took a gamble going for the 58 as i would normally ride a 54/med in normal sizes. With an 80mm stem fitted and an inline post the bike fits me like a glove. I'm 5ft10 with shortish legs. I dont have much post showing but to me the bike looks in proportion and feels just right when i'm aboard.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Here is the bike with the new saddle and post fitted. Also just ordered another of the Ti bottle cages and I'm fitting a set of halt gooey brake inserts (blue) .
    20121019_134912.jpg
    20121019_134922.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Not to worry about the PDF. Thanks for the thoughts on the fit though.
    I'm selling my Enigma Echo (fit issues among other things) and my head says I need something similar but my heart is saying go mad get one of these race machines!
    Hope you get to put some miles on it this weekend.
  • pastey_boy
    edited November 2012
    Made a few changes to the bike today. As well as cycling I also body-build and as such my weight has crept up to just under 18 stones so I have adapted the bike to cope with my weight increase and also make it a bit more durable and easier to live with day to day. I have replaced the carbon RS80's with a pair of 32h Mavic Open pro ceramic rims built onto lightweight novatec hubs with ACI db black spokes and black brass nipples, tyres are conti 4000's with foss tubes. I have also replaced the Planet X cnc ti brakes with a pair of Sram Red calipers fitted with ceramic inserts. I have changed the very lightweight Kcnc chainset for Sram Red black ed chainset with ceramic bottom bracket. For purely cosmetic reasons I've swapped the 2009 Sram Force rear mech for a 2012/13 version as the updated graphics/colour seem to suit the bike better. Also had to put a different chain on as I've gone from a compact to Std drive so needed another couple of links. I'm swapping the white Easton EC90sl's for a pair of black Controltech Lightening forks, and I'm changing the Crank Bros headset for a much more durable Hope unit. On the whole the bike is a lot more rugged and will make a good year round bike. The changes have added just short of a pound of weight but it's still a respectable 16.5lbs all in. I now have a pile of very light bits which I will use to make a superlight carbon bike for the summer, all I need is a frameset and shifters to complete it.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Noice