Any suggestions for a DIY mudflap on a Raceblade?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited December 2012 in The workshop
My new frame hasn't got clearance for mudguards so I've resurrected my old blades... and I do miss the mudflaps of my full length guards.

Any DIY suggestions? I've got a rivet gun at home so I might be able to pop something to the bottom of the blade. Failing that I can araldite something in place, but what?

Cheers!

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    cut up a plastic drinks' bottle?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I cut one out from a heavy duty plastic (polypropolene) document wallet, about a quid in Tesco, can make several from one wallet, choice of colours :wink: Get one thats got a box profile that's made out of stiffer plastic.
  • alfablue wrote:
    I cut one out from a heavy duty plastic (polypropolene) document wallet, about a quid in Tesco, can make several from one wallet, choice of colours :wink: Get one thats got a box profile that's made out of stiffer plastic.

+1

That's what I made mine from. Doesn't get brittle evenwhen subzero, super strong and light. I use two M4 stainless bolts and locknuts so you can adjust its alignment if needed.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I used part of an old innertube and taped it on to the bottom of the guard. Only expected it to last a ride or two but has been on for almost 2 months and working really well keeping my feet dry !!!!!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    kenan wrote:
    I used part of an old innertube and taped it on to the bottom of the guard.

Have you got a picture? I can't imagine how this works! 700c inner?
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Not sure what size tube it was, my mug guards are wider than yours but I'll take a picture tomorrow as the bike is at work.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I use the very thin rubber mats, that you can buy from B&Q. The ones the wife uses behind our front door in winter. Cost about £3 and I have been using the same mat for the last two years to cut out mudflaps.Nice black colour and hang well.
    I just pop a couple of small 4mm holes into my mudguard, and the same with the mudflap, and just use a zip tie to attach it. Ill pop a picture up later.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    if you've got an old tyre then you can cut a section out of that, it's pre curved and still flexible. Either drill / puncture some holes in guard and tyre flap and attach with bolts or cable ties.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I use a cut out from an old MTB inner tube, if you slice them down the middle they open up really wide, quite surprising. They don't get damaged if you drop off a curb, they're silent, lightweight, withstand weather/cold/mud etc.