Newbie with Gear info confusion

rolyatluap
rolyatluap Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi All
I decided to get my first bike since I was 16 (38 now) and thought I would try a budget Cube Aim 29 disc,when I picked it up I didnt notice but the frontchain selector(please excuse terminology or lack of)was hitting my tyre so the guy on phone told me to turn screw to adjust but any problems pop it back.Well I tried and moved it away from tyre and so i took it for a small run to make sure all gears worked.after a very short distance I wrongly selectes large front cog and large rear cog and it wouldnt select and locked.I took it back and the shop sorted it and set up gears to not hit tyres etc but the bike engineer indicated I should never go the big cog front and back combo as it does real damage also smallest cog smallest cog.I can understand the strain on the chain but surely I should still be able to select it as it doesnt engage at all, is this not dangerous if I accidently selected as it would lock the back wheel .....
Am I missing something really obvious here..

cheers
Paul

Comments

• Thanks for the quick reply I am going to give him a shout tomorrow as its only a month old so I expect he should remedy the problem,I also contacted Cube so if I have something in writing it should sort it hopefully..
    thanks again
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While selecting big/big isn't encouraged (the chain angle means it bends excessivley as it rotates) it should do it and not cause 'real damage', sounds like the chain was too short (not necesarily the shops fault that).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks for that I decided to getin touch with the shop even though I wasnt happy he let me walking out with the issue but he has agreed to take it for a couple of day put a bigger chain on and set it up again.He said he was suprised that the cube chain wasnt correct but I was suprised it wasnt checked but as long it gets sorted

thanks for your replies it helped alot when I was on the phone

:-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be fair it's not something I would expect a bike shop to check at PDI, they can't check everything or there would be no point the bike being delivered assembled at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeh Fair point I agree but all sorted now the chain was one full link short so he replaced it free of charge,I cant ask for any more than that.

:-)