New rider looking for bike £900-£1400

nathanbutler
nathanbutler Posts: 2
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone, Im new to mountain biking. Always had an interest just never the budget to do it. Im getting a bike on the Cycle To Work scheme so may aswell go all out. Ive been looking at a Kona Cinder Cone (http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=cinder_cone) but want something a bit higher spec. I like the shape of it and the fact it has 26" wheels. Im not a very bulky guy so im thinking a 29er might be too big, where as Id have more control over a 26er.

I want the bike mainly too get into trail riding and to be able to just shoot about town jumping what I want and tail whiping over stuff! Danny Macaskill style! I know its along way from complete amature but I plan on keeping the frame and upgrading parts as they brake and as I require better.

Any advice on what brand parts are good and why would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• It's a fair bit of money to spend on a hobby you might not like, but it's your prerogative. I'd suggest heading to a decent halfords and go for a Boardman or Voodoo. You may get a Boardman carbon at your price point.

Are there any restrictions to where you can use the acheme?
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Do you know if you can get more than 1000 on your C2W scheme? Some companies can but not many.

Otherwise, I'm biased but outside of Canyon, Cube are the best value!

My LTD Pro 29 was £980....but I think £1400 might get you a Reaction...?
  • Just had a look at that Kona, how much is it?

Alivio parts are stuff I'd expect on a £200 bike...well my £200 halfords GT had em so I'd be put off that.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I want the bike mainly too get into trail riding and to be able to just shoot about town jumping what I want and tail whiping over stuff! Danny Macaskill style! I know its along way from complete amature but I plan on keeping the frame and upgrading parts as they brake and as I require better.
      do you mean trial/street jump riding ?
      probably something like this
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011 would suit you better
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What retail outlets are available on your C2W scheme? Most companies go with one of the 4 big schemes which limits you to certain retailers and hence certain bikes......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.