First go at MTBing, waffly ride report and a few Qs

JackPozzi
JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
I've been a roadie for 5 years now and decided to have a go at some MTBing over the winter so picked up a cheap bike on ebay (Carrera Vengeance LTD - nothing fancy but it's got reasonable kit on it and it was in good condition).

Had a short trial run with it round some local parks during the week to get used to it and as it went ok I headed out to Epping today intending to do some exploring for a few hours. Sadly after about 40 minutes I went to change gear and suddenly the chain started slipping all over the place, so I stopped and established that I'd somehow managed to mangle the rear mech hanger. I had a basic multitool with me so I was able to remove the hanger and then had a brief wander round trying to find something heavy to bash it straight enough to be able to ride back to the car, but couldn't so had a brief sit down to think of a backwoods engineering solution. Eventually I did manage to make it usable again using sheer brute force and ignorance and limped back to the car and then home.

So to the Q's

Do Carrera gear hangers tend to bend easily or was it just bad luck that this one did on my first proper ride with it? I've bought a new one from Halfords, if it's likely to be a regular occurance I'd rather try and get a stronger copy machined or at least carry a spare!

While sitting in the forest with my bike in bits around me, several groups of riders went past and didn't even ask if I was ok which struck me as a bit off. If you encoutered someone having mechanical difficulties would you stop and offer help, or just ride on? Normally on the road we do try to help each other, just wondered if there's a different mentaily for off roading or if the people that rode past were just a-holes?

Comments

• No.

Good idea

Unusually, unhelpful Mtbers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Do Carrera gear hangers tend to bend easily or was it just bad luck that this one did on my first proper ride with it? I've bought a new one from Halfords, if it's likely to be a regular occurance I'd rather try and get a stronger copy machined or at least carry a spare!
    I carry a spare - rather the hanger goes than the frame - they are designed (hopefully) to be sacrificial.
    JackPozzi wrote:
    While sitting in the forest with my bike in bits around me, several groups of riders went past and didn't even ask if I was ok which struck me as a bit off. If you encoutered someone having mechanical difficulties would you stop and offer help, or just ride on? Normally on the road we do try to help each other, just wondered if there's a different mentaily for off roading or if the people that rode past were just a-holes?
    Arseholes. I've never had it happen before, and never done it to anyone else.

But I've never ridden in Essex.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps welcome and glad you've finally seen the light.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Thanks for the welcome, I suspect that being in Essex may be a factor, we do sadly have a higher ratio of arseholes in general life than most other places so I suspect that carries over into sports as well!

Got to say that despite today's disaster, it was much more fun than road riding, although if anyone's got any tips for keeping a car clean when transporting a bike that's covered in bits of forest (and probably several varieties of animal crap) they would be much appreciated, tried putting the bike on an old blanket but it's everywhere, even the bloody roof!
  • cooldad
    Don't worry, when you can differentiate between varieties of animal crap and what they had for breakfast, you've got a problem.
    Some people carry sprayers, either cheap manual style garden/weed sprayers, or fancy electric things.
    I have a giant tarp off Ebay, cost a few pounds and big enough to wrap a few bikes up in. I also carry an old duvet (only our servants use blankets over this side) to stop bits rattling as I often carry more than one bike.
    Mud etc is an occuptional hazard - couple of cheap seat protectors from Halfords come in handy for when the lycra is messy, which by the way you have to change for gnarrly baggy shorts and tops.
    Which is possibly why the locals didn't stop for you - probably scared in case you were a perv after fresh meat.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps once again.
    If you're looking for a bit more fun than Epping there's Swinley Forest further round the M25, Surrey Hills, a bit further round (see London Calling in Rides - normally a few people out each weekend) or some good stuff in the Chilterns, but I don't know that except for Aston Hill.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JackPozzi wrote:
    if anyone's got any tips for keeping a car clean when transporting a bike that's covered in bits of forest (and probably several varieties of animal crap) they would be much appreciated

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... k-11-35074
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... k-11-44975
    http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/Bik ... 6-LED-928#

Or buy a van. ;)

If they're too expensive or too much of a pain: http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/spray ... om=froogle
  • I had 2 mech hangars go in quick succession - both on night rides in the winter which was awful. But whilst its a Carrera Kraken its not Carrera issue per se. Check you've not bent your rear mech somehow as if you've knocked it, you'll have a problem eventually. Oh and always carry a spare in your pack - they're easy to change and will keep you riding :)

Paul.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Better still, the Carrera hangers are pretty cheap at £7.99 from halfords.

The Carrera hanger is no weaker than many others (it's a generic Merida one used on many other frames anyway).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Creedy
    Creedy Posts: 13
    My bro and I stopped for a drink at Woburn sands today and got asked if we were ok! Lol also the lads in the jump section where great showing us the lines to ride and stuff. Generally I find the mtb riders a bit more sociable than the roadies I come across. But I'd say generally the whole cycling scene is good. I come from a rugby back ground and find it quite similar. You understand the pain your going through or will go through or have been through to get there!
  • You were really unlucky to be left stranded - unusual in my opinion.

Carry a spare hanger (possibly even a generic emergency spare - that way it will transfer to your next bike or your mates when you are out with someone else). Only time I had to straighten one I did it by leaving it on the bike and using the body of the rear mech for leverage - wouldn't have thought you'd have much success with a rock as it is too small. If the one for your bike is 8 quid then def do it - mine are over 20 for each bike!
  • Mech hangers are designed to bend or break to stop damage to frame or derailleur, you really don't want a stronger copy, best to replace an £8 hanger than a frame or derailleur.
    They always do it at the most inconvenient time, best to carry a spare.
    Mountain bikers are generally a friendly bunch and will often stop to help, I think you were unlucky or perhaps they were newbies too and did not know the drill, did you give them the secret sign? :wink:
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    JackPozzi wrote:

I was sitting by my bike in Llandegla, changing a tube, when a guy passed without so much as a nod. B*****d. Then a little way down the trail, on a rocky bit, I stopped to look at something plastic that someone must have dropped. It turned out to be an iPhone. I picked it up of course, intending to hand it in at the shop, but not a few hundred yards further on, a guy was walking back up the trail. Yup, the owner, the very same chap who had blanked me earlier.

I should have let him carry on, but I could'nt do it. I've regretted it ever since. Later on, on the same ride, another puncture. This time I had to patch it, but my patch failed, and while trying again (and being eaten alive by midges), my pump packed up. Nothing for it but to push it back to the car. Cue knight in shining armour, who gave me a brand new Specialized tube. Gratis. This kind of kindness is the rule on the trails in my experience. Long may it be so.

Lu
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ha!... When the TTF forumites get a sniff of you crossing to the darkside, they'll blank you forever... :lol::lol:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!