Gravity Enduro First race ideas needed

jimtorch
jimtorch Posts: 40
edited November 2012 in XC and Enduro
Alright everyone? before anyone gets on my back, i know that this is probably a question that loads of people have asked before but i couldn't find/be arsed to look through all the forum posts so i thought i'd ask a fresh.

I'm a regular weekend trail rider with a mid week run thrown in normally too. I'm 35 and i'm no way a beginner but equally i'm not the 4th member of the Atherton family.

I hammer it round and hold my own on the Monkey Trail at Cannock (at least i don't get overtaken very much), I've ridden Llandegla a couple of times this year and go out to Coed y Brenin once or twice a year and i also did the Evans Ride it event in the Peak District in the summer. I'd class myself as mid table to slightly above average in the skill and fitness level, not the fastest on the downs but equally not the slowest on the ups. (before you get bored :roll: , i'm painting a picture of me and my riding so bare with me)

Anyway, i'm thinking that i'd like to throw into the mix an Enduro race but something that's for the first time racer not jumping straight in and doing the full on brakes off / balls in hand straight down a mountainside Megavalanche type ride. I'd like the event to be social as much as anything with a competitive edge so you can push yourself a bit.

Can anyone recommend anything that you think would be a good first taster of this type of thing? I'm happy to travel a bit an maybe make a weekend of it.
Also i don't want to have to go and buy loads of new stuff i.e. full face helmet and body armor.
I have in my head that the gravity enduro stuff is like a race round somewhere like Cannock, am i right?

Any help to guide this dumbass in the right direction would be a help. Also, if anyone knows of any specific dates that'd be awesome. i heard that one race series is/isn't happening next year??

By the way, i've a Stupjumper Elite with 140mm front and back so the bikes ready even if i'm not!

Cheers all :D
bird, bird, bird, birds the word

Comments

• A good introduction to Gravity enduro is the Enduro 1 Series aimed at Trail riders and Beginner to completive racing. I did 2 out of 3 rounds last year, no need for FF helmet etc... All in the south of the country.
    http://www.enduro1.co.uk/

Any questions just ask!
  • scottfitz wrote:
    A good introduction to Gravity enduro is the Enduro 1 Series aimed at Trail riders and Beginner to completive racing. I did 2 out of 3 rounds last year, no need for FF helmet etc... All in the south of the country.
    http://www.enduro1.co.uk/

Any questions just ask!

Cheers Scottfitz, i've looked at that one, what did you make of it then? how tough was it?
    bird, bird, bird, birds the word
  • Not very hard but good fun, sort of red level XC with some tec features, there was talk on his facebook page of doing a one off winter race, i he puts that on you could give it a go to see what there like. Enduro 1 dates and venues have not been released yet.
    I did the Pearce Cycles one at Hopton to this year that was great but not sure if they will do it next year (I hope so)
    I know there will be some more down south next year but have not been announced yet, UKBP and ........ these will all be in-between the UK Enduro and Enduro 1 Skill wise.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Main thing is that gravity enduro can vary a lot- it can be anything from a red route at a trail centre, to a downhill trail, or totally offpiste treacherous slimefest. So always worth asking around first.

Bit of a trip for you but there's 3 coming up in the new year at innerleithen, they'll probably be on the harder end of the spectrum but it's a perfect venue- trail centre, downhill, and miles of offmap purpose-built stuff.
    Uncompromising extremist