Brake adjustment advice

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have had my MTB for about 10 months now and I am finding that the break lever is pulling back to the handlebar and I also also adjusted the tensioner to the maximum.

I think I have two options.
1) Un-tighten the cable clamp at the brake calliper, pull the cable tighter and tighten the clamp
2) Replace the cable

Which would be best? I don want to stretch the cable too much and have it snap when I need it most.

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    have you adjusted the caliper?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    theblarney wrote:
    Hi,

I have had my MTB for about 10 months now and I am finding that the break lever is pulling back to the handlebar and I also also adjusted the tensioner to the maximum.

1) Un-tighten the cable clamp at the brake calliper, pull the cable tighter and tighten the clamp
    2) Replace the cable

Which would be best? I don want to stretch the cable too much and have it snap when I need it most.

Thanks

Gavin
    and the brakes are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    theblarney wrote:
    I don want to stretch the cable too much and have it snap when I need it most.

Thanks

Gavin
    Probably this. Cables don't stretch and snap - they snap due to fatigue.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • have you adjusted the caliper?
    Hi The Beginner,

No I havent adjusted the calliper as the cable was pulling too far back and I didnt think that this would give me enough adjustment.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    theblarney wrote:
    Hi,

2) Replace the cable

Thanks

Gavin
    and the brakes are?

Mechanical disc
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think Nick meant specifically. But just adjust them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks all for the advice..
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    What is brand and model of the disc brake caliper?

Have you been adjusting the inner pad as it wears down?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    theblarney wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    theblarney wrote:
    Hi,

2) Replace the cable

Thanks

Gavin
    and the brakes are?

Mechanical disc

Dh that was fairly obvious as the only other cable operated caliper would be a road brake.

make model and year? they dont all work the same way. so if you want correct and not generic info it would help use to help you if you gave the full info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cobba wrote:
    What is brand and model of the disc brake caliper?

Have you been adjusting the inner pad as it wears down?
    I got this from the product page, does this help?
    Shimano M375L Mechanical disc February 2012.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Adjust the caliper, far more adjustment there than at the lever, in fact back the cable adjustement off, do the caliper and then adjust the cable.

The problem is pad wear not cable stretch.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Perfect thanks
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Have you read the instructions on how to adjust the brake pads on this brake calliper?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/DiskBrakeSystem/SI_8JW0A/SI-8JW0A-001-Eng_v1_m56577569830745423.pdf
  • cobba wrote:
    Have you read the instructions on how to adjust the brake pads on this brake calliper?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/DiskBrakeSystem/SI_8JW0A/SI-8JW0A-001-Eng_v1_m56577569830745423.pdf
    I hadnt seem that, thanks very much for digging that out