Shifter Compatibility

marshyrob
marshyrob Posts: 142
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

Kinda new to the whole MTB scene and not 100% sure of something, so thought id ask.

I have a 10 speed XT setup using the XT Dyna-Sys comps, i would like to start changing it to a XTR setup, but as we all know its expensive so i want to do it gradually. First thing i want to change are the shifters. Question is, can i just change the shifters for 10 speed XTR shifters and leave all the other XT comps on, is this going to cause me issues with the gear selection?

Likewise can i change the rear mech for say, a XTR Shadow, and leave all the other XT dyna-sys in place? Im sure i read somewhere that the Dyna-Sys is only compatible with the Dyna-Sys XT comps.

Hope someone can offer some advice.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as you stick with 10speed dyna-sys (effectively Shimano 10 speed MTB) then there will be no issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ok so anything Shimano XTR thats 10 speed compatible will work with the XT setup right?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Correct. I'd question the worth though, the shifters feel nice, and you may want to take the opportunity to upgrade to Shadow Plus, but I'd not replace perfectly good XT with XTR just for the hell of it, unless your bike is already dripping in top end bling elsewhere!
  • Shadow plus being the rear mech or is there a whole range of comps for shadow plus? (Sorry told you i was new!) . I just dont like the way the shifters feel on mine atm, a little plastic and sometimes a bit tough and sticky to move. Im not even sure the XTR will improve the overall feel but if i can source some for a decent price then ill give them a go.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Spend £10 on cables first, will likely sort all your issues.

Shadow Plus is a rear mech technology using a clutch type system to limit cage movement and make things much quieter. It's available now on XTR, XT and SLX mechs. There is little inherent benefit in XTR mechs.
  • ok sounds like a plan, thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    Spend £10 on cables first, will likely sort all your issues.

Shadow Plus is a rear mech technology using a clutch type system to limit cage movement and make things much quieter.
    +1 on cables...

To clarify the plus rear mech clutch acts as a friction damper to prevent unwanted mech movement that leads to chain slap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.