29er tyre advice please

ccrdave
ccrdave Posts: 28
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just built a 29er which I plan to use for light offroad, forest trails ect, but also some onroad work as well. I bought a pair of Maxxis beavers as they have good reports for an all round tyre, and they are good but for a 2inch tyre they blow up really big, bigger infact than the 2.35 tyres on my full susser. and they are very slow!!
So can anybody reccomend a light tread tyre thats some where between a cyclocross tyre and the the beaver, 1.8 - 2.0 sort of size but not like a balloon!!
I know its a big ask but thanks for your help

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Here is a good place to start, just incase you had not looked there already. I have used Maxxis Ignitors in the 2.35 and they are pretty fast rolling, good all round tyres. They are generously sized up. I would say the 2.35 is more like a 2.2 even a 2.1. They do 2.1 29er Ignitors, which are more like 2.0 in that CRC link and i would recommend them for off road and road use.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Been riding these a lot this year, light, fast rolling you may come unstuck when it gets muddy though.

I found a good compromise in muddy conditions was a rocket ron upfront and an XR3 on the back, no tyre is a good solution for everything unfortunately
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Thanks Guys been looking at the bontrager 29-0 as a back tyre any ideas what its like?

How big do the xr3's blow up? on size, small or big?

cheers
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Can't comment on the 29-0 , but the xr3 comes up small against other similar sized offerings, i've used them on the road commuting and in XC races, they roll very well but the front end is sketchy when conditions get muddy.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer