Bottom bracket cup crossed thread

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited November 2012 in Workshop
Hi there

My bike is in the workshop and the mechanic informs me that the BB threads are crossed. He is going to try re-cutting them, but says it may not work. If the threads won't hold the new cups is the frame scrap? Surely there is some kind of engineering solution...?

The frame is a 2009 Pinarello FP3, Italian thread.

Cheers

PP

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    They should be able to cut new threads into it.

Worst case scenario you can have a sleeve installed and threads cut into that or you can get BBs that are designed for this purpose and don't need threads - this sort of thing:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/yst-sealed-b ... -prod4521/

Might cost a bit but better than scrapping the frame.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Threadless BB

16505.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or talk to Argos racing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If they can't sort that out take it some where else, difficult to be exactly sure but that should be a very easy process. Even if you have virtually no threads loctite will probably hold it firm.
    Good luck.
  • pilot_pete
    The bike was supplied by another shop (big chain!) in the wrong sized frame, which I discovered a week later when I went for a bike fit. They then got the correct sized frame in and understandably swapped my now used components across to this new frame. This is the only time the BB has been touched from the factory, so I can only assume they crossed it.

My LBS is looking at it and my mate runs the place so I trust them more than the chain...

It is an FSA Mega Exo BB with a Most branded crank. Is there a thread less version that would fit, as the picture above presumably would need a different crank?

Cheers

PP
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not aware of a threadless solution for MegaExo but a skilled mechanic should be able to chase the threads straight with the right tool. A decent mechanic would also notice whether a cup was screwed in straight in the first place!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • k-dog
    I've never seen a threadless version of an external bearing - to my mind it wouldn't work as the bearings need to be held quite accurately in position.

Like Monty said though it should be easy enough for them to repair the threads. Unless they're really mashed they should be able to tidy them up enough to get a BB in again.
  • pilot_pete
    Cheers guys,

Don't think the mech really wanted to do the job...said they didn't have an Italian thread tap and was very 'shrugged shouldered' when I went to see them. Bike taken to another shop that deals in Pinarellos and the engineer said he will have a look and call me tomorrow. Needs new bearings as the cup thread is mashed on the non drive side...

PP
  • pilot_pete
    Just to update the story. Big thumbs up to Ron Spencer Cycles in Warrington who chased the threads, replaced the BB and got it all to tighten up just fine. Best thing of all? Dropped it off on Thursday, picked it back up on Saturday. (it was actually ready Friday pm)

One happy and relieved Pinarello owner!

PP
  • k-dog
    Told ya!

Actually was thinking about this the other day and it's probably not unusual for a shop to not have an Italian threaded tool - Italian BBs aren't that common and unless you're doing a lot of them then you're not going to fork out for the tool.