Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2012

123457»

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I did mine when it was closed to cars in the summer when you got 45 mins light after they closed the gates :)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I overtake the cars, if there's no space on the left go right. But generally, fast times will be when the roads are clearest - early morning or late evening.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Totally missed this post. Please excuse me for bumping the 2011 version of this :oops:

Will take this challenge on Sunday.

What direction is quicker, anti clockwise or clockwise?

Thanks
  • okgo
    Anti.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • TarmacExpert......anti......68kg.....45:53......Mar........TTer........AP296W.NP309W full TT setup
    Eyepea0..............anti......79.99kg........48.26......Aug........Retired ex-1st cat.....Road
    Okgo.................anti.......80.5kg....49.17.....May.......2nd cat.....road
    Petromyzon..........anti......73kg..........49.38......May........2nd Cat......AP321W NP327W
    Martinwilly..........anti......72kg............49.52......April......Tester......Road/fixed
    benjacobs............anti.....69kg............49.52.......May......2nd cat........Road
    BigMat................anti......80kg.......50:24......May........Commuter/4th cat
    ChristianCmk........anti.....61kg.........51.49.....May.......2nd Cat....Road
    CJ.....................anti......82kg........52:07......Aug........Commuter/Sportive
    IP.....................anti......74kg........52:44......Aug........Commuter/Sportive
    leejdavies..........anti......80kg..........52:52......May........Sportive/com
    Mr Ribble.............anti.....88kg..........52:55.......May.........Overweight Professional Eater
    Bigdave1963.........anti.....87kg..........53.52.......May........Sportive/TT
    Furrag................anti......71kg.........54:00......Mar........3rd cat.....275w/292w NP
    Morxy...............anti.......58kg........54:06......Jun........4th cat, Commuter/Sportive
    birdy..................anti......70kg........55:02....May..........triathlon/4th cat - Road bike
    MMLazaro............anti.......91kg.........55:07......May.......Commuter(ex-rider)/1996 Pinarello
    lef.....................anti......67kg........55:27....May..........3rd cat...Road
    J4zzDogg..........anti......82kg........55:36.....June........Commuter
    MCONWAY............anti......77kg......56.00......Oct...........Commuter
    Hutch 75.............anti......92kg........56.20......Mar........Sportive/leisure
    wilskins.................anti......79kg.........56:30......Aug........Road
    JZed..................c/w.......95kg........56:31......Mar........SCR
    ShandyH............anti......86kg.........56:41......Jun........SCR/fat triathlete
    funkin.................anti......82kg.........56:52......May........Triathlon....292w/NP308w (road bike, tri bars)
    maryka...............anti......54kg.........56:56......June.......post-baby....218w/226wNP
    Rushie.................anti......75kg........57:05......May........Marmotte/Com
    JimboPlob............anti......69kg........57:07......April......4th cat/Triathlon/Fitness
    KnightOfLongTights...anti...68kg....57:35......Aug.......Weekend club rider/fitness (road bike)djtjw.................anti.......83kg.........57:36.....June.......Road Bike, Kingston Wheelies Weekend Warrior
    SirUlrich............anti.......75kg........57:41......June......Road Bike, (slow) TT'er
    bruceman............anti......87kg.........57.50......May.......Commuter
    pangolin...........anti......100kg........58.12.....Oct.......Commuter/Road Bike
    bcss..................clock......78kg.........58:31.....Sept.......236w/261wNP (weekend warrior)
    Ramekin..............anti.......78kg........58:42......May.........Club des Cingles contender
    Dhope.................anti......75kg........58:45......Mar........SCR
    Islwyn.................anti......87kg.........58:51......Apr........Sportive/Com
    London-Red..........anti......80ish........59:05......Mar........Commuter
    Andy Bristow........anti......86kg.........59:08......Aug........ex 3rd cat
    turnstyle.............anti......85kg.........59:30......Mar........Com/Sportive
    Ugo Santalucia......anti......73Kg........59:34.......May.....Wheelbuilder/29 years old road bike-red
    Smirf..................Clock.....82kg........59.46.......June.....Commuter/weekend warrior/etape virgin
    Cavcan................anti......103kg.......59:48......June......Fatty
    Blackpooltower.....anti......83kg........60:00......Jan........Commuter
    Caleb .................anti......68kg........63:10......Aug ..... Tri
    Andy Bristow .......Clock....89Kg ......63:59.......May.....Ex 3rd cat.
    mdheaton............anti......87kg........65:10......Apr........Rower
    Jon_Freeman........Clock.....67kg.......65:19......Nov.........Road
    Rick Chasey..........anti......55kg........65.52......May.......SS (42x16)
    ajh18.................anti......63kg.........65:53......Sep.......Commuter / Fitness
    Windmatt ...........anti......76.5kg........66.13......sept..........fitness
    Russ...................anti......81kg........66:30......July........Sportive/Com
    JibberJim............anti.....75kg.........66:43.....June......Ex. Club Run Hero (301 AP 313NP)
    marcusjb.............anti......60kg.........67:10......Apr........Slow audaxer!
    velo-city.............clock....77kg.......67:36......July........Tourer / Fitness
    ilovebigwig..........anti......85kg.........69:40.....May........Commuter/Fitness
    cyclingprop..........clock.....118kg......73:08......Mar........SCR
    SmellTheGlove......anti......73kg........74:01......Aug......Commuter

First go at this so going to go Anti and try and get it under the hour next time.
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    I don't see how the guys getting below 55mins are able to ride safely. Whenever I go there, there are always cars inconveniencing me 20% of the time. I take it you guys are all overtaking the cars at speed?

Especially on the roundabouts, drivers are always staring at each other stupidly not knowing who should give way, it's so frustrating. To make things worse, they never leave a gap on the left, so you have to sit behind. :|

Did the thought that Richmond Park is not a racing circuit ever cross your mind? Cars can take all the time they feel to take at the roundabouts... There is a circuit in Hillingdon, you can go as fast as you like there
    left the forum March 2023
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    I don't see how the guys getting below 55mins are able to ride safely. Whenever I go there, there are always cars inconveniencing me 20% of the time. I take it you guys are all overtaking the cars at speed?

Especially on the roundabouts, drivers are always staring at each other stupidly not knowing who should give way, it's so frustrating. To make things worse, they never leave a gap on the left, so you have to sit behind. :|

Did the thought that Richmond Park is not a racing circuit ever cross your mind? Cars can take all the time they feel to take at the roundabouts... There is a circuit in Hillingdon, you can go as fast as you like there

Good post Santalucia! Much common sense for once!
  • okgo wrote:
    I did mine when it was closed to cars in the summer when you got 45 mins light after they closed the gates :)
    Same here, you need to time it so that you're finishing the 3 laps just before it starts to get too dark. Too early and the traffic will slow you down. Too late and the deer start to come onto the roads too much. There is a very brief window where you can get 3 laps in with neither traffic nor deer causing a problem.
  • Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread a little, but are any of the people taking on this challenge doing so as part of a club? I'm a newish rider living in Surbiton and am just riding richmond park on my own and it's getting a little lonely, especially when i see people riding round in packs. Any pointers to groups or clubs would be great.
    Help greatly appreciated!
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    peyroux wrote:
    Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread a little, but are any of the people taking on this challenge doing so as part of a club? I'm a newish rider living in Surbiton and am just riding richmond park on my own and it's getting a little lonely, especially when i see people riding round in packs. Any pointers to groups or clubs would be great.

There are lots of people in clubs riding around the park but not necessarily in "packs". In fact, aside from the London Dynamo official park laps on Saturday morning, the only packs I see are dogging cyclists (i.e., those loners who ride around looking for like-minded wheelsuckers so they can join into large groups pretending they are racing each other round the park when in reality they are just acting like dangerous idiots -- particularly on warm summer evenings) Many club members will organise some RP laps with a handful of other members (people they know) but they won't ride in huge random packs as they recognise that's just asking for trouble. Once you join a club and get some more experience under your belt, you'll understand what I mean.

Anyway, closest local club to you is Kingston Wheelers, have a read of the website then come out on a Sunday morning to give them a try. It's the best way to get experience riding in a group in a safe and effective manner. If you enjoy it, please join!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    peyroux wrote:
    Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread a little, but are any of the people taking on this challenge doing so as part of a club? I'm a newish rider living in Surbiton and am just riding richmond park on my own and it's getting a little lonely, especially when i see people riding round in packs. Any pointers to groups or clubs would be great.

Like mentioned, there aren't usually packs at Richmond with randomers together because people tend not to feel at ease with people they don't know. Especially in large quantities. So it's usually an organised thing or a couple friends. Although, oddly enough, I saw a large pack of riders at Richmond on Friday afternoon, about 15 or so riders, I was initially surprised, however as the laps went by (I was going the opposite direction) they started the spread out a lot.

If I were you, I'd have a word with someone who you think you're relatively at the same fitness at and see whether they'd like some company. I'm sure there are people in the same boat as you too. Especially during this time of year, people ride within zone2 for base fitness, so it should be easy.

TakeTurns wrote:

Thank you for enlightening me with your wisdom. Looking at the TT times on here made me think RP was a racing circuit solely for cyclists and that the deer are for decor.
  • Okay cheers for the advice guys. It seems like Richmond Park has a fairly established set of unwritten rules which I'm still picking up. I'm dying to join Kingston Wheelers but am not sure my fitness is up to it, hence the richmond park training, I just got a little bored in the process. Perhaps I'll have to just man up and go out with the Wheelers next weekend and be prepared to peddle for my life!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    peyroux wrote:
    Okay cheers for the advice guys. It seems like Richmond Park has a fairly established set of unwritten rules which I'm still picking up. I'm dying to join Kingston Wheelers but am not sure my fitness is up to it, hence the richmond park training, I just got a little bored in the process. Perhaps I'll have to just man up and go out with the Wheelers next weekend and be prepared to peddle for my life!

Club rides usually have good turn outs so people will be placed into a group which best suits their capability. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • okgo
    There is a rough guideline that it you can do three laps of the park in 80 mins you will be fine on the club run pace rides. There are all sorts of people that turn up on a Sunday, after a few rides you will pro ably wonder wonder why you left it so long!

P.s I am also in Surbiton so can always meet you before a Sunday clubrun to show you who to talk to etc.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Peyroux, me too, I had a couple of friends come along but they like their beer and pies too much, and have given up, so i've been trundling around on my bmc all on my lonesome as well. i've been in touch with the wheelers and my times are not spectacular ( clear lap is around 21 minutes for example) but they said if i can do 3 laps in 80 mins fine.... which i can, so no problem. So I reckon i go to next weeks (weather permitting) wheelers ride, and this weekend trundle round the park, before going out of london to see a rough idea of the route. if you want to meet up this saturday morning, or sunday morning, drop me a PM. i'm probably going to get there for 8 on saturday morning if anyone else wants to come along. i'd start at kingston gate.
  • TakeTurns wrote:

Not now obviously, but early mornings and late evenings the park is quiet. And quite easy to not get caught in traffic. And cars generally go a similar speed to cyclists, it's cars slowing for slower cyclists that tend to do you over in the park.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • Phil, I only just saw your post, I'll drop you a PM.

On another note, I found this PDF of richmond park closing times: http://www.royalparks.org.uk/__document ... es2012.pdf does this mean closed to cars, bikes people, the lot? I'm hoping it's just cars as I can't even get out of uni that early! can anyone shed some light?

And last on Sunday I did three laps in 82mins battling through some outrageous wind *excuse* (and just so it doesn't seem like I'm completely hijacking this thread)
  • okgo
    Its never closed to bikes or walkers, apart from when the deer cull is on
  • Nowhere near the speed of many, but I was very pleased to manage three clockwise laps just now, in 1:19:49, as part of this pre-breakfast blast of fresh air.

Someone caught me up, said hi and rode with me for a few hundred yards - left the park at Robin Hood Gate on his way to Portsmouth, no less. Hope you had a safe trip, mate, if you hang out here at all :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • okgo
    I sense some very quick times next year if the conditions are good...!

New thread soon I suppose.
  • okgo wrote:
    I sense some very quick times next year if the conditions are good...!

New thread soon I suppose.

I passed Andrew Marr on his MTB the other day, so I am confident of good results come the new year... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    peyroux wrote:
    Okay cheers for the advice guys. It seems like Richmond Park has a fairly established set of unwritten rules which I'm still picking up. I'm dying to join Kingston Wheelers but am not sure my fitness is up to it, hence the richmond park training, I just got a little bored in the process. Perhaps I'll have to just man up and go out with the Wheelers next weekend and be prepared to peddle for my life!

You'll be fine. There's a guideline for the club run pace, but there's no fitness test to pass before you can join the club :). It's exactly a year since I did my last club run, but I meet other members in the Park - either randomly or planned - which breaks up the monotony of training there. You might also find yourself pushing each other and building up some good fitness in the process; a ride in the Park can be less stop-start than a club run, so you can get into a nice rhythm, with a higher average speed.

Another good loop is the one to Hampton, Lower Sunbury, Walton, Weybridge and back to Hampton via the reservoirs.

EDIT: I finished in the top 10. Hurrah! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."