B Tension screw

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So I was looking at the rear deraileur and noticed how far out the jockey wheel is, so are start losening the b tension screw to get it closer, well the screw is completely out now, and its still a good centimeter away from the cog.....
what do I do now?
PB030038.jpg
PB030037.jpg
2nd image so you guys know the screw its completely out

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    incorrectly fitted mech.

more info and pics needed.

what mech? which cog are you adjusting on? has the mech swivelled and is not stuck on its pivot?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    incorrectly fitted mech.

more info and pics needed.

what mech? which cog are you adjusting on? has the mech swivelled and is not stuck on its pivot?
    Basic shimano Acera rear mech
    adjusting the screw on the largest cog
    will upload some pictures
    swivelled? not that I know of
  • nicklouse
    it has to or how does it move closer to the cogs. arround the mounting bolt.

you should also set the B screw on the small cog.

see point 4

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 647072.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    it has to or how does it move closer to the cogs. arround the mounting bolt.

you should also set the B screw on the small cog.

see point 4

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 647072.pdf
    yup following these, but I still cant get the jockey wheel close enough
  • nicklouse
    so is the tab that the screw was in touching the drop out?

how is it in the small ring? as that is the only one you are concerned with.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    so is the tab that the screw was in touching the drop out?

how is it in the small ring? as that is the only one you are concerned with.
    yup its touching the hanger
    its about the same, if not a little further out on the smallest cog, thats why I wanted to adjust it in the first place :(
  • OMG this bike is dead to me
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The tension in the 2 mech springs won't always allow it to come further forward, also if you pull it away and let it go four times it will end in four different places...

Worth lubing all the pivots in case one is sticky as that will affect the balance between the 2 springs.

Mech will work fine like that anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.