Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Smiley faces on forums. How old are you?
  • A previous manager of mine, when wanting to illustrate a point would give a pacific example.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Sirius631 wrote:
    A previous manager of mine, when wanting to illustrate a point would give a pacific example.

Finding the exact pacific example can be a real mind field.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    I have in front of me a bottle which says that men should not 'regularly exceed' 3-4 units in a day. So if I live an otherwise teetotal life but have a blow out EVERY Christmas I'm doomed. But if I drink a bottle of scotch on each of, say, 200 days randomly spaced throughout a year I'm fine. And that's only 1 of a number of imprecise bits of government advice that drives me to distraction. That and people saying 'less' when they should say 'fewer'. Count me amongst the language pedants.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Just hoping to p someone off, it worked :):):)
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Women who think they can flutter the eyelashes and get what they want. BLOW ME!

And then can they get what they want?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Big fat families waddling around the shop blocking entire aisles.

People in East Kent saying "was you" instead of "were you".

Come Dine With Me.
  • I read a lot of CV's and I really hate them when they are full of typo's, wrong words, and just plain old jibberish. We have millions of unemployed and a fair chunk of them could get a job if they could actually read and write properly.

I came across an example of a guy who marked the document and sent it back to the applicant. I wouldn't have the nerve and I suspect we would be in court for some reason if we did. We did however cut out the dreadful photo's that some folks put on their CV's and had a wall of shame. The best one was the 30 year old bloke, wearing a cravat, lounging on a bright pink leather sofa, telling us how excited he was to be managing someones wine collection. He was applying for an engineering directors role in an aerospace company.

• I read a lot of CV's and I really hate them when they are full of typo's, wrong words, and just plain old jibberish. We have millions of unemployed and a fair chunk of them could get a job if they could actually read and write properly.

I came across an example of a guy who marked the document and sent it back to the applicant. I wouldn't have the nerve and I suspect we would be in court for some reason if we did. We did however cut out the dreadful photo's that some folks put on their CV's and had a wall of shame. The best one was the 30 year old bloke, wearing a cravat, lounging on a bright pink leather sofa, telling us how excited he was to be managing someones wine collection. He was applying for an engineering directors role in an aerospace company.

CV's are relatively speaking a new thing, I certainly never had to make one out. Given your experience of them would you say they're worth bothering with; as most (I would think) are full of bullsh1t and once the applicant is sat in front of you at interview are just torn to bits. Stuff the CV, a straight up application accompanied by a covering letter should surfice I would have thought.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    CV's are relatively speaking a new thing, I certainly never had to make one out. Given your experience of them would you say they're worth bothering with; as most (I would think) are full of bullsh1t and once the applicant is sat in front of you at interview are just torn to bits. Stuff the CV, a straight up application accompanied by a covering letter should surfice I would have thought.
    Eh?
    I've been writing CVs since the '70s.
    :?:
    I have read some that are patently full of bullshit though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • "Can I get a.........."
    No, you can have one though.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    johnfinch wrote:
    Brits writing "program" when it should be "programme". :evil:

or even worse, people who pronounce lieutenant as loo-tenant when it should be lef-tenant
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    chaos75 wrote:
    "Can I get a.........."
    No, you can have one though.

this is always pretentious women in starbucks who say " can i get a lar-tay"

No love. It's not fecking self-service. You can HAVE one. Think they watch too many episodes of friends.
  • Other people snoring, when I did jogle I slept on the corridor floor as some fat get was snoring so loud. It's rude that your fat and its rude that you snore, solve the fat problem, solve the snore problem, bingo you fat idiot!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ummmmmmm. Don't think it's that simple mate. I'm very small and snore. My girlfriend is half my size again and snores. No idea why. Just roll the person over or wake them up
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    carrock wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Brits writing "program" when it should be "programme". :evil:

or even worse, people who pronounce lieutenant as loo-tenant when it should be lef-tenant

"meet with you". I've even heard this on the BBC.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Only happened a few times but so annoying. People on escalators, particularly in department stores, who when they get to the top, step off and then stop dead looking around trying to decide where to go while everyone else is piling up behind them. Utter fcukwits !!
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Big fat families waddling around the shop blocking entire aisles.

Yes, this. They also annoy me even before I've parked when they insist on walking down a car-park lane four abreast and have the nerve look peeved when you keep your line so they have to get out of your way or face being run over.
  • CV's are relatively speaking a new thing, I certainly never had to make one out. Given your experience of them would you say they're worth bothering with; as most (I would think) are full of bullsh1t and once the applicant is sat in front of you at interview are just torn to bits. Stuff the CV, a straight up application accompanied by a covering letter should surfice I would have thought.

Pretty much 100% wrong, unless you're looking for a low skill manual job these days. Most companies require you to be able to read and write competently, and a CV is what people expect. Sure, a covering letter is useful and will expend on why you are right for the job in specific terms but the Cv gives an appreciation of your wider background. Companies use the background to be able to verify whether you really have hat you claim in your cover letter. Its a kind of 'check' against your cover letter.

You won't get in front of an interview for a decent paying job these days without some kind of CV ()and a filled out application form for mid-level jobs and if you get ripped to shreds thats because the CV isn't a CV but is a fairy story. the best jobs are got without application forms and just require a CV. If you're filling outa form, then you're just one in the big pond.

Nobody I interview or have found jobs ever got there without a CV, but then again, I don't hire monkeys.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Pretty much 100% wrong, unless you're looking for a low skill manual job these days. Most companies require you to be able to read and write competently, and a CV is what people expect. Sure, a covering letter is useful and will expend on why you are right for the job in specific terms but the Cv gives an appreciation of your wider background. Companies use the background to be able to verify whether you really have hat you claim in your cover letter. Its a kind of 'check' against your cover letter.

You won't get in front of an interview for a decent paying job these days without some kind of CV ()and a filled out application form for mid-level jobs and if you get ripped to shreds thats because the CV isn't a CV but is a fairy story. the best jobs are got without application forms and just require a CV. If you're filling outa form, then you're just one in the big pond.

Nobody I interview or have found jobs ever got there without a CV, but then again, I don't hire monkeys.

I hope your CV is written better than that post.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Idiots. Not unintelligent people, but people who haven't got the sense god gave a rock.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    When you try to eject some of the grunge in your nostril whilst out on a ride but it ends up smeared accross your face drying into a crusty film right up to your ear aided by those woollen gloves that really need another wash but the clothes rack is full of baby stuff and i'll have to wait until I don't actually need them...
    (Turbo Trainer is in the bin and the rollers are in the post - wahey)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    People getting into silly arguments and slagging others off on forums because someone has the
    temerity to disagree with them. :roll:
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    People that say "Yes but, what if?"

I haven't thought about every possibility known to man and what you are suggesting is a one in a million.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    De Sisti wrote:
    People getting into silly arguments and slagging others off on forums because someone has the
    temerity to disagree with them. :roll:

You're wrong !
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Some minor error that causes additional work way beyond the scale of the initial failing, like dropping a washer and then not being able to find it so you can't finish the rebuild and have to clear the garage looking for it only for it to show up miles from where it rightfully should be, or accidentally nudging a kitchen roll that knocks a glass over that requires a mop about the floor again. That sort of thing; does my chuffing head in.
  • how about bikeradars new way to log in...that never keeps me logged in even when i click remember me, then when you type a really long rant for this thread about a group of local bikers who for the past few years mocked me for cycling and posting ride data, have recently (in the last few weeks) clubbed together, got some mtbs and now ride local trails every sunday, trackys tucked into socks and no helmets like seasoned pros, the post is lost....

now normally anyone taking an interest in cycling is great, and id be chuffed, but this group does my nut in....

todays offering was 13miles in 2hrs 53mins pretty flat, with added pictures of the group (around 8) walking up the climbs....now i know not everyones fit, but comments like "good fast hard ride" and "technical stuff today" piss me off lol theres nothing hard or fast cycling 13miles in nearly 3hours....my 4 year old can walk that quicker....

anyway rant(s) over... :twisted:
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    To$$ers who say "at the end of the day"
    To$$ers who drive around with their front fogs on because it makes the car look street.
    Women with too many handbags/shoes.
    Piers Morgan because he is trivial and annoys me.
    When footballers sheperd the ball out without touching it and not allowing an opposing player to gain control, that has got to be obstruction.
    Carrot cake icing stuck to the cellophane on the box.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • Stuff on a restaurant menu that is "pan fried", how the feck else is it going to get fried?
  • Stuff on a restaurant menu that is "pan fried", how the feck else is it going to get fried?

Er, well what about deep or shallow frying?

On the subject of food...I get irked when I have to cut the skin between sausages. How the fark are pre-cut vegatables available in this day and age but you still have to seperate sausages when removing them from the packaging? Although I'll happily chop up my own veg as I hate lazy cnuts who can't be arsed to chop a few carrots. I'm annoyed with myself it seems.