Ti 6/4 Bike Frame with sleek joints

JC1986
JC1986 Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hey all,

Found this on Ebay, what do you guys think of it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-4-Titanium-Bi ... 310wt_1171

The joints look awesome! and it's Ti 6/4, I just messaged the seller, he is saying that they are able to make the joint smooth with Ti 3/2.5 as well.

Comments

• mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    call me cynical, but im guessing it could be your own ebay ad?

1 post? similar format of forum name and the sellers ID?

if not I apologise, but i need to ask, why buy a frame from canada thats generic and from an ebay seller with little feedback and who obviously isnt a frame retailer, for what seems to be very over priced?

planet x have some van nic ti frames for far less.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Seems averagely priced. I'd personally go with a Spin Ti frame instead.

http://www.spincycleworks.com/servlet/Categories
  • JC1986
    hhha, i didnt even noticed that! No im not a the e bayer, im often browse the site as visitor. But i now wanted to buy a titanium frame and i saw this ad, thats all. Pictures does look nice, but not sure if its worth it
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    If you want smooth Ti welds check the Legend Queen, Il Re and Le Prince. The joints are welded in an inert chamber meaning stronger welds which means they can file/sand the welds down to a very smooth finish.

http://www.legendfactory.eu/
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's in canada, so you are looking at import duty fees as well, not worth it imo, I'm sure you would be better off getting something over here from a decent framebuilder, crisp, enigma etc. if you really want 6/4 Ti.
  • LegendLust wrote:
    If you want smooth Ti welds check the Legend Queen, Il Re and Le Prince. The joints are welded in an inert chamber meaning stronger welds which means they can file/sand the welds down to a very smooth finish.

I thought all titanium welding had to be done like that.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    LegendLust wrote:

I thought all titanium welding had to be done like that.

Not all frame manufacturers do it this way. Welding in an inert chamber means no contamination
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mikeouk wrote:
    call me cynical, but im guessing it could be your own ebay ad?

1 post? similar format of forum name and the sellers ID?

if not I apologise, but i need to ask, why buy a frame from canada thats generic and from an ebay seller with little feedback and who obviously isnt a frame retailer, for what seems to be very over priced?

planet x have some van nic ti frames for far less.

+1

Plus, smooth welds are a very simple way of hiding poor welds.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Polished welds are a way of hiding poor workmanship - they certainly don't make it any stronger.
    Double-pass (smooth) welds can actually weaken a joint due to needless application of heat:
    http://www.met-tech.com/images/crane-failure-15.jpg. Properly mitred joints and single-pass is fine for bike frame tubes.

All titanium is welded using an inert, shielding gas or in an inert chamber, if you don't the weld gets contaminated - you can still do cr@p welds in an inert chamber.

Marco Bertoletti of Legend certainly has a great reputation for frame buildings - he also makes Viners custom frames- but since he created Legend, his prices have nearly doubled! Wished I'd bought one a few years ago...

To the OP, 99% certain that's either a Russian or Chinese produced frame available from $600 upwards...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JC1986
    wow, thanks guys! i didnt know that there r lots of other alternatives out there that r more affortable!
  • Seller said that joints are not polished or anything weird, it's cast. that makes it a better quality than weld?
  • Monty Dog
    ^ I didn't read that in the description - you can't 'cast' a welded joint - or if you did, it would simply be too brittle to be of any use.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    MattC59 wrote:
    +1

I make no claim to being an expert on welding but I don't understand this. Can you explain?

The fact that a weld is even and smooth suggests it's a good one to me. That's certainly true of soldering, of which I have much more experience.
  • MattC59
    lotus49 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    +1

I make no claim to being an expert on welding but I don't understand this. Can you explain?

The fact that a weld is even and smooth suggests it's a good one to me. That's certainly true of soldering, of which I have much more experience.

If its that smooth, it's more than likely been filed or ground smooth. So you can cover all manner of welding crimes by grinding them away. Even a spectacularly good weld won't be smooth.
  • MattC59
    JC1986 wrote:
    Seller said that joints are not polished or anything weird, it's cast. that makes it a better quality than weld?

This just gets better and better !
  • Monty Dog
    You can buy custom titanium frames from China from $600 - why would you want to deal with this joker, particularly when he's full of BS?
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    You can buy custom titanium frames from China from $600

O rly?

Sounds interesting, got a link for that at all?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Monty Dog
    Xi'an Titanium or Titan Product - there's a thread over on RBR Forum.