Overshoes over normal shoes?

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
When I commute I wear normal shoes and toe cage pedals, as I don't want my shoes getting muddy and wet will I be able to wear overshoes over them? Does anyone actually do this?

Comments

• mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    overshoes are designed to go over cycling shoes with cleats. you could wear them over normal shoes with flat pedals but im sure they wouldnt last long, the edges of the pedals would wear through the material of the over shoes.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Re-use a shopping bag...
  • Yes. There exist overshoes that are fully enclosed; it's quite untrue that all are designed for clipless pedals.

I can't comment on the longevity as though I'm a clips and straps devotee myself, I've managed to resist overshoes as long as I have been cycling so far. I imagine if you get some decent neoprene ones they should be OK, though; they are generally suitably reinforced.

A google search produced these:

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... _overshoes
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    Yes. There exist overshoes that are fully enclosed; it's quite untrue that all are designed for clipless pedals.

I can't comment on the longevity as though I'm a clips and straps devotee myself, I've managed to resist overshoes as long as I have been cycling so far. I imagine if you get some decent neoprene ones they should be OK, though; they are generally suitably reinforced.

your comment, im sure, will be confusing to the OP

your link is to a pair of over shoes that arnt fully enclosed. Also, neoprene isnt waterproof, its designed to insulate the moisture thats between it and the skin. I think the OP wants dry feet after his ride, dont think over shoes are the way.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i thought neoprene was waterproof myself.
    but in an overshoe if will only be 2-3mm thick and wont stand up to a pedal spike for long
    can you not just leave your work shoes at work and wear overshoes, and clip in pedals for your ride
    you will always have dry feet that way i work.

spare socks in work are always a good idea though
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • GSJ
    I don't mind it not being completely waterproof, it's mainly for the dirt to stay off.
    I have limited bag space, can barely fit a t-shirt let alone a pair of shoes
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    why not just get a cheap set and give it a try

see how you get on then
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    I used to use overshoes with toe clips / straps with no problems. Obviously if you are using straps as well as the toe cage then it needs to be much looser to allow for the extra bulk. When I rode like this I still need the hole for the cleat though as even prior to clipless the shoes has cleats that slotted onto the back of the pedal.
  • mikeouk wrote:
    Also, neoprene isnt waterproof, its designed to insulate the moisture thats between it and the skin. I think the OP wants dry feet after his ride, dont think over shoes are the way.

Pretty certain the neoprene overshoes I had on today are water proof, seeing as I rode through 200 yards of water up to 18 inches deep (almost to the wheel hubs). Feet in the water every revolution. Feet stayed dry as a bone, and that's despite the overshoes being open at the bottom.
    BBB Heavy Duty, ~£15. They'll fit over normal shoes no problem. But I'd be a little uncertain on the longevity on flat pedals, as they'd rub a lot on the edges/seams.

I reckon a pair of waterproof boots would be a better bet. Not heavy walking boots, but sort of hardy trainers. Plenty of outdoor shops will do just what you need.
  • GSJ
    How much space would a BBB heavy duty overshoe take in a backpack? are they flexible enough to fold up?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-h2o-e ... overshoes/
    How do these fair up agains't BBB ones?
  • Guanajuato wrote:

Pretty certain the neoprene overshoes I had on today are water proof, seeing as I rode through 200 yards of water up to 18 inches deep (almost to the wheel hubs). Feet in the water every revolution. Feet stayed dry as a bone, and that's despite the overshoes being open at the bottom.
    BBB Heavy Duty, ~£15. They'll fit over normal shoes no problem. But I'd be a little uncertain on the longevity on flat pedals, as they'd rub a lot on the edges/seams.

Well not only have you found waterproof neoprene, but you appear to have found waterproof thin air too as your dry feet were exposed at the bottom of the overshoes!

Neoprene isn't waterproof - it doesn't, however, mean waterproof articles can't contain neoprene in their construction.

Also anything will keep you dry if the exposure to water is less than saturation point of the covering. If you wrap your feet in towels you will stay dry up to a certain level of water exposure - but I wouldn't expect dry feet after a weekend at Glastonbury.

All that being said - neoprene overshoes may well be sufficient for the OPs needs....
  • GSJ wrote:
    How much space would a BBB heavy duty overshoe take in a backpack? are they flexible enough to fold up?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-h2o-e ... overshoes/
    How do these fair up agains't BBB ones?
    They fold flat, but won't stay scrunched up. So basically they take up very little space. Those Northwave ones look pretty similar. The only real difference I can see is that they have a locking zip and come in a range of colours.

As for keeping the water out, I was surprised that the open bit at the bottom didn't let any in. I guess the relatively tight fit kept the water out. But each foot was underwater through most of the bottom half of each revolution all along a flooded road. Most situations would be road spray and rain, so less of a challenge than a proper flood. Glad I had them!
  • Easy option - buy a bigger rucksack or panniers and make room for them in there.
  • Also, neoprene isnt waterproof, its designed to insulate the moisture thats between it and the skin. I think the OP wants dry feet after his ride, dont think over shoes are the way.

Neoprene is waterproof. It is a type of synthetic rubber.

the confusion is over how it is used. In wetsuits, a thin layer of water ingresses at neck, wrists, etc and then heated by the body adds an extra layer of insulation. However no water actually comes through a wetsuit. If the Neoprene itself was porous manufacturers would not spend so much time taping and sealing the seams.

However for the original poster I would still suggest leaving good shoes at work and using a pair of cheap trespass boots for the winter

Chris
  • mikeouk wrote:
    Yes. There exist overshoes that are fully enclosed; it's quite untrue that all are designed for clipless pedals.

your comment, im sure, will be confusing to the OP

your link is to a pair of over shoes that arnt fully enclosed. Also, neoprene isnt waterproof, its designed to insulate the moisture thats between it and the skin. I think the OP wants dry feet after his ride, dont think over shoes are the way.

They look fully enclosed to me; the description states that 'Sole can be cut for on-road and off-road riding', and the right overshoe in the photo looks partially cut out. As for waterproofness, most garments that are even close command a high premium unless they bear the name 'Carradice', and those do not.