Radon ZR Team 6

Oh Marone
Oh Marone Posts: 261
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Just thought I would post a few pics of my first proper mtb after getting filthy with it after a ride around the local forest yesterday, was almost swamp like in a good few areas. I know you guys hate clean bikes so have held off posting pics until it was caked in filth :D .
Bike is pretty much stock but have replaced pedals and fitted a few extras (lights, bottle cage etc). Might change the grips soon for something a bit fatter and possibly some mud guards but am loving the bike so far. Still need to swap the brake hoses over and tweak the fork as am only on about 17% sag. Unsure if I should leave it though as it feels good and am using up most of the travel on the rougher stuff, 100mm forks.
20121030_152844.jpg

Superstar nano thru pin pedals in go faster red
20121030_152915.jpg

Even has some go faster red stripes on the frame as well, double stripes so good for an extra 2mph :D
20121030_153143.jpg

Clarkes cage and camelbak podium bottle
20121030_153017.jpg

XT rear mech
20121030_152935.jpg

Some general pics
20121030_153312.jpg
20121030_153254.jpg
20121030_153000.jpg
20121030_153057.jpg
20121030_152858.jpg
20121030_153212.jpg
20121030_153036.jpg
20121030_153459.jpg

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    very nice :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Very smart indeed...

Not really 'caked in filth' though...

IMAG0466.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Bartimaeus wrote:

IMAG0466.jpg

:mrgreen:
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    Very smart indeed...

IMAG0466.jpg

Ok I take it back, now that really is caked in filth :shock:

Quite impressed with the nobby nic's off road especially in the muddy stuff, suprisingly grippy and seem to clear really quickly. Hard work on the road though but probably well suited to the conditions this time of year, will look for something faster and easier rolling in the summer.

Still tempted to change the grips though as they are a bit thin for my hands. Am trying to avoid all the shiny upgrade bits until I pay my credit card off (0% deal) but some new grips won't break the bank.... :twisted:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Mods to grips are easily justified :D ... as are any changes to contact points - comfort is very much a personal thing. I see you already have Nanos, so if the saddle suits you I'd get lots of miles in before thinking about changing anything, as the spec look very good. If you don't need mud tyres (I like Nics, but not round here when it's really muddy) then save your money for post ride beer!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Get yourself back on the Superstar site and order some Excel grips, specifically designed for the larger handed people out there. I swear by them

Cheap too
    bird, bird, bird, birds the word
  • The seat is not to bad but am still getting used to it after many years off a bike. Much more comfortable with the padded liner in my hummvee shorts, seems to be getting better the more I use the bike as well. I was half joking about all the shiny upgrade parts, am happy with how everything feels and works etc so will only swap the major components if/when they break or wear out. Well thats the theory anyway :)

Thanks for the tip on the grips as I was looking at some very simillar raceface ones that are over double the cost of the superstars. Look very simillar as well http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47579 . The excel grips are a little bit longer than the ones on the bike at the mo but looking at the customer reviews it looks like I should be able to cut them down a bit if needed. Now do I go for the basic grips with plastic end caps or go for the pimp version with flashy end caps, I think red grips with black caps either way. Will have a think about it and order some tomorrow.
  • chez_m356
    Oh Marone wrote:
    The excel grips are a little bit longer than the ones on the bike at the mo but looking at the customer reviews it looks like I should be able to cut them down a bit if needed.
    you do realise they have a lock on each end, or are you planning on just using the end caps to lock them on ?
  • I did wonder this myself but was just going by the customer review comments. The grips on mine at the moment are just over 13cm including locking rings, the excel ones are 15cm which would fit if that included the lock rings and not just for the grip.
    Have tried to find the dimensions of the raceface ones but can't find any info, might send crc an e-mail to check. The raceface ones seem to get good reviews and last for ages as well, seem to remember reading that the superstar grips fall apart pretty quickly but then they are half the price.
  • chez_m356
    Oh Marone wrote:
    I did wonder this myself but was just going by the customer review comments. The grips on mine at the moment are just over 13cm including locking rings, the excel ones are 15cm which would fit if that included the lock rings and not just for the grip.
    Have tried to find the dimensions of the raceface ones but can't find any info, might send crc an e-mail to check. The raceface ones seem to get good reviews and last for ages as well, seem to remember reading that the superstar grips fall apart pretty quickly but then they are half the price.
      i think the raceface ones are your standard 130mm
        been using these
      http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7459 myself for a while now, chunky, grippy and comfy
    • Have emailed crc and they are getting back to me with the size of the raceface grips although those lizardskins look good as well. Hmmm.....
    • Just a quick update to show grips and muckynutz. Raceface grips are a huge improvement over the original stock ones. Thicker grips whch fit my hands much better and are alot comfier, slightly squidgy so seem to take some of the harshness out of the terrain as well.

She is just over a year old now and touchwood hasn't needed any work doing. Air in the tyres and fork, some oil on the chain and it gets a quick wash after every ride. Lives in the house so try and keep the shoot outside.
      Really need to get some winter lights though as my Smart light is fine for the road but too spotty off road.

20131126_154055_HDR_zps9033ecc0.jpg

20131126_154034_zps46be4567.jpg
    • Kowalski675
      Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
      Oh Marone wrote:
      Even has some go faster red stripes on the frame as well, double stripes so good for an extra 2mph :D

Do the ones covered by the neoprene protector still work though? :?
    • Oh Marone wrote:

Do the ones covered by the neoprene protector still work though? :?

Hmm I don't know, I might have to take it off and see if I go any faster :D
    • Kowalski675
      Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
      I think you should, in the interests of science.