Clipless pedals for a complete begginer?

sammysideways
sammysideways Posts: 41
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
As per the thread title really. Just picked up my new bike and it has come with a set of shimano clipless pedals, Would these be ok for a complete begginer or is it worth swapping them for some normal mountain bike pedals? I have to admit im tempted to swap them but i wanted to get advice before doing so.

Comments

• get flats and when you get good(and confident) consider swapping them back!
  • i would also say swap them back untill you get confident enough.

everybody is different and depending on how long you have been biking and the type of biking you do

the spd's i used to use tuck me about 8 weeks to get used to and remember that my feet were cliped in. most of the time i would try and put my foot down and forget they were cliped in and topple over. LoL but at the time it bloody hurt and i felt a right t*at
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get some SPD cycling shoes and run those without the cleats using normal flat pedals (I have a brand new set of flat pedals going spare, yours for a tenner - PM me). Cycling shoes are far better than trainers as they have a rigid sole. In the spring think about using the clip-in pedals.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Are you new to cycling altogether? If you are, then I would use flats until you're comfortable with the bike, but if you're reasonably confident already then I don't really see the point in delaying the switch to clipless (presuming that you want to make it). It will be tricky at first regardless of when you start!
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    lc1981 wrote:
    It will be tricky at first regardless of when you start!

I'll vouch for that - I have just started with clipless and it does take a while to get your confidence.

Regards

Carl
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you take the clipless off, then fit GOOD flats, cheap flats are hopeless!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If you take the clipless off, then fit GOOD flats, cheap flats are hopeless!

brought some outland cnc slimline pedals in the end, they should be ok?
  • Outland cnc slimline pedals are not a bad choice, I have never used these but have a few friends that have and these should be fine, bikeradar have rated them 3 and a half stars themselves.

Don't leave getting to grips with clipless to long, I believe making my transition sooner rather than later helped me alot.
  • Outland cnc slimline pedals are not a bad choice, I have never used these but have a few friends that have and these should be fine, bikeradar have rated them 3 and a half stars themselves.

Don't leave getting to grips with clipless to long, I believe making my transition sooner rather than later helped me alot.

This ^^

Just get stuck in...literally
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8