SRAM S30 AL Sprint

chortlon-sim
chortlon-sim Posts: 135
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
These seem to be quite heavily reduced at the moment, has anyone got any experience of them? Currently down to these and Fulcrum Racing 3 (I'm 60kg).

Comments

• Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    where's the best price you've seen them?
  • Cornish-J wrote:

£400 down from £640.
  • Cornish-J wrote:

Evans Cycles seems to be the best place
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I can't remember specifically, but seem to recall they were on the weightier side at the pricepoint.

If you're 60kg, you really could get some nice light handbuilts for the money.
  • pkripper wrote:
    I can't remember specifically, but seem to recall they were on the weightier side at the pricepoint.

If you're 60kg, you really could get some nice light handbuilts for the money.

1550g so pretty light. But managed to get a £100 voucher for Evans last night (my wife set up the ride to work scheme for her company).
  • There is a growing tendency to correlate weight with performance multiplied by price = best buy

Bear in mind most of the time the "weight" is achieved by using low quality components... e.g small bearings and thin hub shells... paper thin rims which wear and crack presto and fewer spokes. None of these contribute to a better set of wheels, just one with some missing parts... whether the weight saving achieved with this procedure is an advantage or an "upgrade" is entirely debatable. Of course when you lift the bike, it feels half a pound lighter, but is it quicker up the hills? And is it fast and reliable down the hills?
    left the forum March 2023
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    At 60kg they'll probably work pretty well for you. Do a search and you'll find that I didn't have such a great experience with them (I'm 69kg so hardly heavy), I did buy mine when they first came out though so SRAM may have dealt with the reliability issues that I had.

The rims are 450g each and I'm pretty sure the 1550g weight is without the bits 'you don't need' like rim tape and a freehub body...

Personally I'd either save a bit and get some RS80's but it depends what you're planning on using them for.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Just got the planet x email - rs80 c24 wheelset for 320 squids. Do it.
  • Ended up getting the Fulcrum Racing 3 clinchers from Evans cycles. My wife was given a £100 voucher so when that was factored in they ended up being £250 with the 20% discount code Evans had...
  • Danny87
    Danny87 Posts: 121
    For £250 brand new I would say that is a steal! I have never ridden a set myself but you hear good things about the r3's and r5's.

I may have suggested the shimano ultegra wheelset as a decent wheelset at around the same price point (£250ish) but I will say again the r3's a steal at £250 I'd feel shifty leaving the shop having paid that price :D
  • Yup, the 100 quid voucher was a 'lucky freeby' from my wife's all too generous MD though so really they were 350...