Pedal convertor

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited November 2012 in Road general
Anyone know of a available product that turns a spd pedal into a flat pedal usable with trainers ect?

Iv trawled the Internet and can't find anything decent

Thanks
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Joeblack
    Monty Dog wrote:

That's a good shout but possibly overkill for what I'm after, I'm after something for a quick trip to the shops!
  • I know there's one for the MTB spd but not heard of a spd sl one
  • Joeblack
    Fevmeister wrote:
    I know there's one for the MTB spd but not heard of a spd sl one

Hi Fev,

Yes iv seen loads like that but can't find a spd sl set anywhere, hence the post.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Joe, what about making something....

Old set of Cleats bolted to thin disc of aluminium or something. Clip them in by hand and off you go mate.

PS. Jeez, i've just come up with an invention for Dragons Den !! lol
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Joeblack
    RDB66 wrote:

Old set of Cleats bolted to thin disc of aluminium or something. Clip them in by hand and off you go mate.

I have thought about that, but I just can't get my head around nothing being available :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Joeblack wrote:
    RDB66 wrote:

I have thought about that, but I just can't get my head around nothing being available :roll:

we made a lot up for MTB spds.

never been asked for any for SPD SLs.

never seen anything out there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The platform is massive anyway?

Just out it to right way up and you can fit it into the heel of the show nicely
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Do you mean something like this? Wellgo R191b
    R191B.jpg
  • Joeblack
    Sprool wrote:
    Do you mean something like this? Wellgo R191b
    R191B.jpg

Yes something like that for spd sl would be perfect
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Ever since riding SPD-SL pedals I've wanted something like this for riding my bike to the pub or the shops... It wouldn't be difficult to make a piece of metal with three threaded holes in it for cleats, some holes to attach toe clips and slots to attach straps. Bit like the Pyro Platforms above but without the back part. On the other hand, the pedals are just about big enough to tolerate for a short journey anyway.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    The problem with doing something like this is getting the things off. With a shoe you have the leverage of a long sole. With a small platform you would almost certainly need some sort of tool to remove it. The weight would also probably make them hang upside down as well, which would be annoying.

I have also looked into this fairly extensively and came to the conclusion that it would be easier to buy a pair of cheap platform pedals and just keep a 15mm spanner handy to change them over as required. It would only take a minute or two to swap them over and is also likely to be the cheapest option.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They did exist about 15 years ago, so all you Dragon's Den applicants can stand-down.

The most effective solution that is guaranteed to work as well as satisfying any cyclist's insatiable appetite for bikes is.....another bike with flat pedals!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    It's a small market but I think there would be a demand for this, I looked for this product myself a few months ago for commuting. Ended up just standing on the pedals which is ok but not great, commute is only 3 miles though.

Problem is that there are so many brands of pedals all requiring different fitment. The answer might be a slim pedal platform that can be fitted to any cleat type, the cyclist then just buys a pair of suitable cleats to make the link between pedal and new platform.
  • Joeblack
    Monty Dog wrote:
    They did exist about 15 years ago, so all you Dragon's Den applicants can stand-down.

The most expensive solution that is guaranteed to work as well as satisfying any cyclist's insatiable appetite for bikes is.....another bike with flat pedals!

FTFY :wink:

But I agree it's not a business so I'm out!!

This would be something that a original manufacturer of converters could do and make a small amount of money from, however (as I'm not in the business) I do have to ask why hasn't this been done already, usually there is a good reason.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Joeblack wrote:

This would be something that a original manufacturer of converters could do and make a small amount of money from, however (as I'm not in the business) I do have to ask why hasn't this been done already, usually there is a good reason.

See my post above. In summary, hard to remove and likely to make the pedal hang upside down.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I honestly still don't get what the big deal is? I can easily do 20 miles on mine (Shimano ones) and have wound it up to 30 in a pair of cheapy loafers.

I understand the shimano MTB ones as they are little blobs, but I think the OP is being a little over-fussy
  • Herbsman
    lotus49 wrote:
    Joeblack wrote:

See my post above. In summary, hard to remove and likely to make the pedal hang upside down.
    If it had clips & straps on it would be easy to remove, and SPD SL pedals don't hang the right way up anyway!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-spd-clipless-item190550.html

As set came with my Genesis Equilibrum, OK for short rides plus you can still clip in if you need them just for the reflectors.
  • But it's not for SPD SL pedals is it?
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    anyone seen these for Look pedals? I havent been able to find any and I would like some so my sion can use my spare bike when he needs to.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Someone was selling some platforms on eBay recently that he makes from sheet metal and he would drill however many holes you wanted for different cleats. Can't find the listing now. Simple idea really, but I think the platform was pretty small.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-spd-clipless-item190550.html

As set came with my Genesis Equilibrum, OK for short rides plus you can still clip in if you need them just for the reflectors.

Those things are just so shops can sell bikes with SPDs and pedal reflectors though are they not? They look small and delicate to me.
    More problems but still living....
  • Joeblack
    coriordan wrote:
    I honestly still don't get what the big deal is? I can easily do 20 miles on mine (Shimano ones) and have wound it up to 30 in a pair of cheapy loafers.

I understand the shimano MTB ones as they are little blobs, but I think the OP is being a little over-fussy

That's the differance between us then, I couldn't imagine riding more than a few hundred meters on sl pedals tbh.

Also I don't think I'm being over fussy asking if a product exists to make an action more convienent, is this not the way most new products start life? Perhaps one day on a pre-Victorian forum someone asked "does anyone have an alternative to walking?"

And someone replied "iv designed a new method of transport with two wheels and a chain"

Seriously though I was just wondering if something existed I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that it doesn't.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-spd-clipless-item190550.html

Those things are just so shops can sell bikes with SPDs and pedal reflectors though are they not? They look small and delicate to me.
    I had some with my egg beaters. They're shit and slippery.
  • +1 on these.....excellent , hold firm and quite strong
  • coriordan wrote:

+1

I wear trainers on my SPD-SL's whenever I want to nip down the shops or if I want to cycle to work in normal clothes. It is, without a doubt, an absolute piece of piss.
  • Herbsman
    I find it hard to reach the pedals when I go out in trainers. Which is odd because the soles are thicker than those on my SiDis