Knowing what we know now.....

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
edited November 2012 in Pro race
For one, the Science documentary needs remaking........

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Just the barefaced lying in the speech.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Yeah got to be the speech. What a scumbag.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The thing with Dodgeball is anytime anyone anywhere in the world gets to the Armstrong scene, they are going to remember what a scumbag he is, and that's a good thing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Turfle wrote:
    The thing with Dodgeball is anytime anyone anywhere in the world gets to the Armstrong scene, they are going to remember what a scumbag he is, and that's a good thing.
    On the other hand, it's the only one I'm ever likely to watch again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    wouldn't it be good if they could re-cut that scene to make him look a complete tw@t
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    wouldn't it be good if they could re-cut that scene to make him look a complete tw@t

Do they need to?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Two sheds
    Two sheds Posts: 446
    Well at least he was right with one thing...it wasn't about the bike.
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Just like the link I posted to the bonfire effigy we are in danger of letting LA take on the whole of our disgust. Sure he is an extreme example of how bad it got but isn't it the case that more or less the whole culture had been to dope, isn't it that which we should be venting our anguish towards and not just Armstrong?
    Further more where was the governing body in all of this? It is a bit like have a town where there is rampant crime and the police doing nothing, just looking the other way only the occasional prosecution. We are in grave danger of letting the unfit for purpose governing body walk away 'scott free' and just letting Armstrong take the whole blame for a sport that was institutionally corrupt over a long period of time.
    I find horrible parallels between this and the Savil-BBC fiasco:- As long as he raises the profile of what we do then we will do nothing about the complaints!
    Just look at the number of staff that have recently left SKY, this must give an indication of the depth of the problem during that period, before and maybe to a lesser extent after.
    It is teams like Sky, Garmin and Greenedge that are helping get the sport out of the mess that it was in not to any extent the governing body the UCI, who have been scared of their own shadow and are happy for Armstrong and Co to take the blame.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I think the bonfire effigy is very much tongue in cheek. They did Mario Balletelli (spelling?) last year and I don't think people"hate" him. It's just a bit of fun and a good way to boost publicity.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ron Stuart
    ddraver wrote:
    I think the bonfire effigy is very much tongue in cheek. They did Mario Balletelli (spelling?) last year and I don't think people"hate" him. It's just a bit of fun and a good way to boost publicity.

Point taken although it wasn't the crux of my post. :wink:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    No, comparing Armstrong with Jimmy Saville was, which is adsurd IMO.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    pat1cp wrote:

Not so much I think, the point stands that Armstrong is excused by some because of 'the work he did for cancer', in the same way that Savile's crimes seem to have been swept under the carpet by plenty of people in authority because of his 'charidee work' or standing as a personality. It wasnt as simple as 'Armstrong is like Jimmy Savile' which he isnt.

I find it quite funny that Lance beat both George Osborne and Abu Hamza for the prize of being the effigy.

Incidentally the Lance effigy is wearing a 'Jim fixed it for me' badge.
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    MrTapir wrote:
    If only there was a "Hein & Pat fixed it for me" badge ;)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    MrTapir wrote:
    According to the BBC web report, they considered an effigy of Savile but considered that there would be lots of children with their parents at the bonfire, and if the kids were too young/didn't understand about the Savile thing, then it would be confusing and difficult for the parents to explain

Dunno, do kids that young know who Savile was ?
  • Ron Stuart
    pat1cp wrote:

Try reading my post again, if you take your time and digest properly it my dawn on you that I wasn't comparing LA with Savile but more the BBC (at the time) seeing no evil with Savile and the UCI (at the time) seeing no evil with LA and the endemic doping in the peloton.
    I like Jamie Staff consider that LA is being made a scapegoat by the authorities (UCI) to divert attention from the fact that this and a lot more was happening widespread whilst they were supposed to be governing the sport, he has been the worst case but no means should we consider that the endemic extent wasn't known and a certain amount of looking the other way was happening.
    If the UCI hasn't seen the past abuses then like SKY it's time to have a change of staff me thinks. :shock:
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    According to the BBC web report, they considered an effigy of Savile but considered that there would be lots of children with their parents at the bonfire, and if the kids were too young/didn't understand about the Savile thing, then it would be confusing and difficult for the parents to explain

Dunno, do kids that young know who Savile was ?

On the other hand the little' uns will be quite cool with cheating, drugs, bullying and blood transfusion :wink:

Voted for the Podium speech, although hindsight makes no difference. It was painfully cringeworthy at the time.