Topeak or Lezyne

kesher
kesher Posts: 44
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I've pretty much narrowed my choice of mini pump down to either the Topeak Race Rocket HP or the Lezyne Pressure Drive; but I can't decide which one to buy. If you have experience of these, what do you think?

THANKS

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have the Lezyne and its great. Got a fellow clubby out of the doo doo at the weekend too when his pump would not go high enough. 120psi with the L easy.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I got put off by the Lezyne as one of the guys I ride with would unscrew his valve extender with the screw on extension tube. I've got the Topeak and love it.
  • I bought the Topeak simply because just like you I couldn't make up my mind so I went for the cheapest. Never used it out on the road (that's torn it..) but tried it at home and seems fine. Very well made so should last.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • smidsy
    The following off Wiggle review of the Topeak.

Note: Be wary about using this pump if you have tubes with removable valve cores, if core not nipped up tight the pump has a tendency to remove inner valve when unscrewing. 100psi to 0psi in 1sec, not good in the middle of nowhere!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • +1 Lezyne, great pump
    Ridley Orion
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have the Lezyne Road Drive Mini Pump

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ezypumr250

It clips on to the water bottle cage on the downtube and has proven to be a god send on several occasions. Let's you achieve decent pressure without nearly as much effort as the slightly smaller pumps I have seen friends use (to their exasperation!).

Slightly longer than the pump you mentioned, but I would never contemplate carrying a pump in my back pocket - not good to have one there if you come off.

Peter
  • I'm also trying to decide between the Lezyne Road Drive and Topeak Race Rocket.

Does the Lezyne Road Drive rattle when on the frame mount? 21.6cm does seem a bit long for a jersey pocket.

Also, out of the Lezynes which is better, the Road Drive or Pressure Drive? :S
  • smidsy
    No rattles from my L. There is a little velcro wrap round strap as well as the two plastic clips to keep things snug.

No idea which L is better, sorry.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Does the Lezyne Road Drive rattle when on the frame mount?

As smidsy stated, the velcro strap somehow manages to keep it firmly in place. No rattles.

Can't help re which Lezyne model is better but logic dictates that the longer the pump the greater the volume of air per stroke (track pumps being a slightly extreme example!).

Peter
  • I'm also trying to decide between the Lezyne Road Drive and Topeak Race Rocket.

Does the Lezyne Road Drive rattle when on the frame mount? 21.6cm does seem a bit long for a jersey pocket.

Also, out of the Lezynes which is better, the Road Drive or Pressure Drive? :S

I have mine attached to the bottle mounts alongside the cage, and it doesn't rattle at all. This was my main concern, but my LBS owner convinced me to try it, and it is fine. It's almost as though the velcro acts as a kind of buffer, so the pump doesn't actually come into contact with anything. The pump itself is light and discreet, I got the white one which is almost unnoticeable against a white frame. I have the road drive, I can get tyres to 100psi with no problem.
    Ridley Orion
  • Definitely Lezyne. I gave my Topeak away and haven't regretted it yet.
  • I got put off by the Lezyne as one of the guys I ride with would unscrew his valve extender with the screw on extension tube. I've got the Topeak and love it.

This can happen but you just have to make sure the core is on tight before your fix the pump. No big deal.

Never managed to get 120psi in the tyre with it though. Once I get up to about 80psi, I figure that's enough to get me home and give up!

Fits nicely to the frame with a velcro strap to keep it tight. No rattling. The only problem is that I have lost one of the bungs on one end but this does not appear to effect performance. For about three or four years now I have had attached to my bike in all weathers commuting through the streets of London and for weekend rides.
  • I think you've sold it to me guys.

The Lezyne looks a lot more sexual than the Topeak too. Not that I have a thing for aesthetically pleasing shafts. :D
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Definitely Lezyne. I gave my Topeak away and haven't regretted it yet.
    +1
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • I have a Lezyne pump and its beautifully made! - Looks the muts nuts too!
  • andreavda
    andreavda Posts: 27
    guess what, I have to purchase a bike pump, and I cannot decide between lezyne and topeak.
    I don't care about weight, I care about functionality.
    I've read a lot of feedback from users of this forum and of others forum and it seems that there is no winner, it's a draw.
    At the moment I'm riding a 26" MTB, but in the future I'll purchase a road bike, the fact is that there's no pump that fits both bikes, the high pressure pump works better with the road bike, the high volume pump works better with the mtb

What do you think ?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're going to spend out on a new bike - then a new pump isn't a big sum.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I just love the look of Lezyne gear so I'd go with that.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    My Road Drive has saved me twice out on the road now. Gets the tyres to a usable pressure relatively quickly. To prevent the valve core being removed it's best to allow it to cool down before disconnecting the pump.
  • smidsy
    And unscrew the pump from the hose before the hose from the valve.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i have both, and cant really pick one from the other, the velcro on the lezyne is more secure than the rubber band imo, so that is on the winter bike frame mounted, the topeak is for the summer in the pocket
    i need more bikes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I went with the Lezyne recently too because I wanted the flexible hose. Good tips above about how best to use it ;-)
    It's light, well made and super sexy!
    I got the short one as its easier to carry and if I ever need to use it the extra time/effort is way better than the extra size/weight IMO.

I use Co2 so a pump is just a back up. I have only used my SKS carbon one once and broke off the valve head :oops: Pumping a wheel with a small hand pump directly attached to the valve is a pain IMO.
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I have both of these - one on each bike - and I would recommend the Lezyne. Just seems to work better in every way - simple as that really.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I bought the Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini after someone said that it looked like I was masturbating a hamster while fixing a puncture with my Birzman Zacoo Mini and that I should get a proper mini pump. Well despite being 5 times the size it didn't turn out to be any better. I compared them at home and the difference was negligable. So I take the Birzman with me everywhere as it's damn tiny.