Knife law

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited November 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi Guys

As those on Pro Race may have heard me bleating on about, I'm in Siberia at the mo. We went to an otherwise normal kitchen shop (entirely innocently) and they had a MASSIVE Kitchen knife in there that for 200Rub (about 5Eur) that I'm seriously thinking about getting for comedic value as a "present" for the housemates and such

It's basically a long (40 odd cms) carving knife, single sided, and hardly sharp at all.

Is there a regulation on what I can bring in hold baggage? I would nt care one jot of it get taken off me but the inconvenience would be irksome!

Thanks!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Any sharp objects that might be used as weapons are not allowed in the aircraft cabin. These could be everyday objects such as corkscrews and scissors, which should be packed in your hold luggage.
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air-security/index_en.htm
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Hitch on a Russian trawler back to Ullapool. Don't wait for the Northern Baltic to freeze over.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    1899_VictorinasBooklet.jpg
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    well you've came to the right place to ask....oh no wait, you've came to a cycling forum to ask about the legal issues surrounding your ginormous knife.
  • ddraver
    Well aren't you a hilarious man Lawrences. Is the newbie trying to make a name for himself by acting all tough?

Why not have a bit of fun like Pinarello and RDW eh? This is supposed to be the lighthearted bit of the forum...
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    lawrences wrote:
    well you've came to the right place to ask....oh no wait, you've came to a cycling forum to ask about the legal issues surrounding your ginormous knife.

I have promoted myself to the role of 'Unoficial Mod' and in the light of your posting which was not in the spirit of BB, I am handing out this:

Don't do it again

Rules:
    1. Post abstract notions
    2. Do not in any circumstance place threads about decals without pictures
    3. Political Correctness is not tolerated here
    4. Never praise delivery companies even if you actually got something on time. These coys. consist of
    Parcel Farce, Upiss, FudEx, Yokel, DHHell etc etc
    5. If for a moment you want to rant, make sure its not about the neighbours unless you live in Leicester
    6. If for a moment, you think your posting is in the slightest bit banal, just add a pic of a good looking woman as an antedote but not Claire Balding.
    7. Most importantly, don't appear normal.

Adhere to these rules and you'll do just fine.
  • lawrences wrote:

God, what a fun person you must be.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Ooh we've got a live one ere boys
  • Where do I go for advice on my big chopper - way hay. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Where do I go for advice on my big chopper - way hay. :D
    mumsnet :lol:
  • Take a gun with you too, then the knife would be overlooked.

Works in my mind.
  • pinno
    Where do I go for advice on my big chopper - way hay. :D

If its a short and chippy chopper - Gilbert and Sullivan ?
  • ddraver
    Talking about this bad boy....
    8130616320_f42918f739_z.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    What on earth do you want to bring back that thing for ? I think you should go to the West Indies and open up your own Sugar Cane plantation, plenty of unemployment there; cheap labour.
    You'll never get the sticky lables off without serious harm to yourself and that sis, is why you can't bring it back. I am not paying the NHS bill for the re-attachment of your fingers.
  • ddraver
    s'OK, I'm going back to the Netherlands so I have to pay for it!!!

(i did nt realize the first time but there actually were a selection of various sizes, some more carving knife shaped, and some blatent machetes....)
    - @ddraver
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    That will never fit in your jersey pocket and the weight will slow down your climbing...
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    can you get me one for Halloween?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • pinno
    That will never fit in your jersey pocket and the weight will slow down your climbing...

Just don't come off yer bike with that in yer pocket.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949

Just don't come off yer bike with that in yer pocket.

Could really baffle the paramedics and police for a bit... 'He appears to have crashed after someone shoved a large knife in his lower back'.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    ddraver wrote:
    Talking about this bad boy....
    8130616320_f42918f739_z.jpg

Ahhhhhhh soooooooooo, you keyboard wawwior.

:oops: Yeah ok I'll get me coat.
  • pinno
    I don't know about 'Warrior', but I do know he's worrying me.

What do you do with a knife like that in Holland of all places ? Is it it because the drugs laws are changing in the Netherlands - are they going to sink into the abyss we have created for our selves in the 'war against drugs' that we cannot win and one can only presume DDraver is going to form a cartel and needs some 'powa'?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928

What do you do with a knife like that in Holland of all places ?
    You harvest a commercial sized Cannabis farm. :D
  • ddraver
    Honest answer?

Do a comic reveal to my housemates along the lines of thats not a knoife, cut up one tomato for a salad with it, throw it in knife drawer and probably n ever use it again....

Did I mention it cost 6 Eur? Bargain!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    ddraver wrote:
    Honest answer?

Do a comic reveal to my housemates along the lines of thats not a knoife, cut up one tomato for a salad with it, throw it in knife drawer and probably n ever use it again....

Did I mention it cost 6 Eur? Bargain!

No, you said it cost 5 and have now revealed yourself to be yet another lying scumbag cyclist - we should have you added to the list in pro race!
  • ddraver
    Did I?

Well at 9.20 (YKT time) it cost 6.66599 EUR to be fair...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Aye, in the OP 200 rub about 5 euros (not that I'm a thread stalker or anything!). I'll put it down to currency fluctuation ;)
  • Pross
    Actually, I'm forgetting that you are the one with a big **** off machete so let's just agree you were right all along!
  • ddraver
    I was wrong - 270 Rub....
    - @ddraver
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Well if it is Russian it will probably melt the first time you ever wash it.

Why does all their chocolate taste like it is made of the cocoa with all particles of chocolate carefully removed.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900

Slowly, the camera pans up to reveal the laptop screen, filled with line after line of:

All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy.
    All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy.
    All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy. All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy...