Front fork stiffness/lock out

mavientes
mavientes Posts: 26
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys and gals, bit of advice please.
Whilst riding to work today the bike just didn't feel right, then I realised it was because my front fork felt like a rigid fork.
I pumped on it and it didn't budge, after a few hard pumps it started to bounce as it sghould, but then as soon as I stopped it went 'rigid' again. So once again I had to bounce and then the fork released. But again opnce stopped it went stiff. Thing is it was fine yesterday. I've checked the lock out and it's off so it's not that.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like it needs a damper service, what forks are they?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Suntour XCM?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry should have mentioned

they are Raidon X3's, only 6 months old
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    They're probably farked, seen it happen to so many raidon forks. Keep riding them and they'll eventually blow the damper and feel soft again.
  • The Rookie
    Suntour seals are pants, worth giving it a service making sure the bushes are clean and then applying some grease on rebuild under the seal to help it work correctly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • well now they are virtually seized, not even heavy bouncing is making much diff. I did notice however when I did get a bounce, which took a hell of a lot of force to do, and held the fork down, there was a slight hissy/bubblyish sound as if something was trying to escape. Funny as these forks are oil/coil and not air. So I'm wondering if something, like water or whathave you has somehow made it's way in????

Trip to a bike shop methinks :evil:
  • Hi Guys, my first post on Bikeradar.

I was about to post the very same issue with my forks until I read this, so here go's. Ive just bought my first mtb a second hand Specialized Rockhopper that looked like new (v nice too), took Her for its first ride on Sunday. I noticed the front end felt really rigid, after cleaning her up I decided to give the front end a bounce and see if I could dial in some adjustment. basically the rebound adjuster was really stiff, and after using some force I managed to put some turns of adjustment in that made very little effect. the lockout is set to off, and the maximum travel I could force was about 25mm, but it feels like its sticking at the very beginning of the compression stroke and takes a lot of effort to get and sort of travel in the forks.
    She's a 26" wheel with the RockShox Dart 2 fork, the frame is matt black I think its a 2009/2010 model. Do you think its due to v little use in the past?

Thanks all, great site btw :) 8)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit of a hijack but Dart 2s were pretty rubbish to start off with. Replacement is the easiest thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mavientes wrote:
    well now they are virtually seized, not even heavy bouncing is making much diff. I did notice however when I did get a bounce, which took a hell of a lot of force to do, and held the fork down, there was a slight hissy/bubblyish sound as if something was trying to escape. Funny as these forks are oil/coil and not air. So I'm wondering if something, like water or whathave you has somehow made it's way in????

Trip to a bike shop methinks :evil:
    Should be still under warranty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Sounds like you have water in the lowers past the above mentioned pants seals, very common on Suntours (and dart's which I have a feeling are made by Suntour for RS anyway - compare them to a Suntour XC....).

Get them sorted under warranty and then either
    1/ get some others, selling your Raidons as unused
    2/ Service them and add some grease under the seals to prolong life.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Bit of a hijack but Dart 2s were pretty rubbish to start off with. Replacement is the easiest thing.

Dart 3's they are, assume same suggested remedy going on all the reviews I've seen so far.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • The Rookie
    Yes......
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I changed my Dart 3s for a set of Recon Silvers last week, the difference is just staggering, as harsh as it sounds the Dart 3 are just pants.
  • The Rookie
    Not harsh, that's the ride 'quality' the Dart's give.....
  • Well it's in the shop (halfords). They're trying to say it could be wear and tear or just a regular oil top up thats needed. I've said flat out no way is it wear and tear as this is only after 6 months of riding and that I've not ragged the bike, as since I've had it I've only gone off road 4 times so far. And the fact it happened overnight after riding back from work the night before in the rain that I think it's a design fault from faulty seals.

Well lets see what they say
  • well it's back affter almost 2 weeks. They tried to fob me off by saying it was the lockout screw just overtightened,and the guy said this is all I had to do, and flipped up the lockout lever and turned the screw. he must have thought I knew nothing as he was expecting me then to go away with a smile.
    I said so why then does the pre load not work, the fork not move fluidly ad the compression gives a squelchy sound. Oh that must have been because I went over the travel limits, ahh yes of course I thought, that definitley happened cycling back from work on a cycle path. No i said, there is contamination in the fluids and it's probably water so get it sorted. So after trying to say that maybe I've overused the forks, they agreed to send it off for a proper inspection, but it may not be covered by warranty.
    Guess what, there was water in the oil, so they serviced it all under warranty.
    All working fine now