Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
You know the kind of things I mean. Here are a couple of mine...

Opening a pack of painkillers to find that the leaflet is ALWAYS folded over the blister packs. Not 50% of the time as chance would dictate, but ALWAYS. :twisted:

Living with someone who persistently leaves drawers and cupboards slightly open. She knows who she is! :)
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    When people put the toilet roll on the wrong way round, so that the loose end is pressed up next to the wall and not dangling freely away from the wall.
  • DorsetKnob
    DorsetKnob Posts: 79
    edited November 2012
    Fellow cyclists who refer to their bike as 'steed' or even worse 'trusty steed'!
    Don't know why, and I know it shouldn't, but it really gets on my pip.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    DorsetKnob wrote:
    Fellow cyclists who refer to their bike as 'steed' or even worse 'trusty steed'!
    Dont know why, and I know it should'nt, but it really gets on my pip.

More annoying is 'rig'.
    Mañana
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I don't think there is enough bandwidth for me to list everything that razzes me off.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cubic wrote:
    When people put the toilet roll on the wrong way round, so that the loose end is pressed up next to the wall and not dangling freely away from the wall.
    roll_install.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    nicklouse wrote:
    Cubic wrote:
    roll_install.jpg

Thank you! How can some people think that's a good way to orientate your toilet roll :?:
  • pb21 wrote:
    DorsetKnob wrote:

More annoying is 'rig'.

Yep, that'll do it.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Metal coat hangers rattling.
    Don't know why but it really, really irritates me. Pathetic. :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Bad spellig and grammer iritate the bejesus out of me. :)

Joking apart, my particular hates at the moment are plurals with apostrophes in them. They're getting more and more widespread, and it does my head in. It is never, ever, ever correct to include an apostrophe just to make a plural.

So I'm forever seeing things like day (singular) becoming day's rather than days, in the plural for instance.

And it's more work, not less, to include the bonus apostrophes, so it's not a question of laziness, with which I can sympathise (for instance, in IM chats I almost never bother with capitals or puctuation at all).

The worst I've seen is "Todays new's". That's a hanging offence, goddammit.

If you don't like this one, I have plenty of others. 'Infer' when they mean 'imply'... 'ignorant' when they mean 'arrogant'... the list is endless.

Sorry, can't help it. When I read something with spelling errors in it, it's like they're highlighted in red, and it becomes literally difficult to read. Weird, but true. More of a curse than anything else, a lot of the time.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Brits writing "program" when it should be "programme". :evil:
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Whilst lane swimming slower swimmers who start off just as you approach the end of the lane and then you have to pass them.

People who leave a mess/stain in the toilet bowl.
  • Any news article that contains one or more of "the community", "come to terms with" or "poigniant mark of respect" really gets my goat.
    johnfinch wrote:
    Brits writing "program" when it should be "programme". :evil:
    Unless they're writing about software, in which case it's "program" unless said software is to be taken thrice daily after meals under medical supervision.
    Mangeur
  • kieranb wrote:
    Whilst lane swimming slower swimmers who start off just as you approach the end of the lane and then you have to pass them.
    ^^^ god yes.
    ^^^ and people that can't aim. Do they p*ss on their own bathroom floor ffs???

If you can't aim, sit.

Not sure this thread is good for my blood pressure, tbh :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • If you can't aim, sit.
    Ladies can, under certain circumstances, miss from a seated position.
    Mangeur
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    DorsetKnob wrote:
    Yes!
    The worst I've seen is "Todays new's". That's a hanging offence, goddammit.
    At a job I had a while back, I received a form from a Miss Jone's.
  • People who can't differentiate between Their, There and They're. Or Your & You're.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited November 2012
    Impoliteness.

Here are 2 examples from yesterday....

I was walking along a corridor behind two women. The women went through a fire door and they left it to slam in my face rather than hold the door open for one second. They just did not care I was right behind them and the door would close.

Second example is going to a cafe on my own. I spend ages patiently cueing to get a drink, then as I'm getting my drink a group of people have just walked in and sat down at the only table without buying anything yet. Again, they don't care that they are screwing over everyone who walked in before them.

It's almost as annoying as being in a pub and some guy holding a fiver in the air jumps in front of you, as the indecisive barmaid is unable to realise who's next. If the guy was any good, he would have the decency to say "The other guy was here before me".

These are all things that I would not do, I'm not selfish.

What ever happened to decency, respectability, caring for others and chivalry?

I've never had this problem parking my car though. As people around here are that lazy, they must park as close to the door of Tescos as they can, rather than walk 100m across the carpark where there is an abundance of empty spaces.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • kieranb wrote:
    :oops: My bad.... to be fair, whilst Cillit Bang! can remove radioactive particles from Dounreay's reactor walls, it struggles to shift my poo off the porcelain.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Twunts on the train who bump past you (you're seated) and smack you with their bag. I got a 'hot ear' yesterday from some pillock's bag whacking me upside my head.

Not even an acknowledgement ever and it happens at least twice a day.

I'm going to stop there - it's the most forefront 'irk' in my mind right now. I have seriously considered a book on this subject (irritations). I could fill 300 pages in a week!

Victor Meldrew's got nothing on me....
  • ben@31 wrote:
    What happened to chivalry?
    I suspect the horse's ate it :wink:

My personal pet hate is checkout folks who place the receipt in your outstretched paw, followed by notes, followed by coins. You then have to play paper/coin juggling to get the bleedeng stuff where it should be.

I suppose I could just stuff the lot into my pocket, but that would remove the need to come to the boil....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Football. All of it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    The new generation of road riders who seem to think hills have to be categorised e.g. "my training ride went over two cat. 4 hills". FFS, they are just hills - you're training ride isn't a stage race where hills are categorised to award points in a KoM competition. Even big one day races such as L-B-L or Tour of Lombardy don't categorise climbs and just because Strava has given a hill a 'category' doesn't mean it's set in stone!

I feel better for that thanks!
  • fat friends who try to educate me/others on healthy diets. (one told me nuts were super fattening....so is your fcuking cheeseburger)

fag reek.

folk posting flyers through my door, even though I've got a massive sticker saying I don't want your flyers.....

People who feel the need for "recovery drinks'/blood transfusions after a 30 mile social pace flat run....

The government.

I've got loads...
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    She can't turn lights off!

A coin spinning on the table.

The f*cking kid next door hooting...

Born again Christians (all of them).

Kids walking around with a trolley pushing their newspapers when I had to struggle...

People who are overly clean! oh my god you petted the cat, better wash your whole body in case you die of fur poisoning.

Every god damn time I turn on the TV there's an advert, no matter which channel it's on.

Ads for accident solicitors.

WONGA F*CKING DOT CON!

Cheating assholes in online gaming. If you can't play games nice, sod off and diaf.

PC bullsh*t.

Oh and believe me I have many more things that pee me off, but I can't post them since the people above me would whine. Oh and they're not trivial things either so wouldn't count in this thread at all.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    edited November 2012
    People who struggle into work with a cold - because they are F*cking heros - only to pass the cold on to everyone else in the office and ruin their week and god knows how many people on public transport.

Stay the f*ck home - you job isn't really that important - if it was, the company would have given you remote access, so you could work from home is unwell!

And the worse thing is, these people think they deserve a medal for struggling in and making everyone else ill. I hate having to sit here and listen to them sniff, cough and sneeze all over the place - f*cking w4ank to$$ers - hate them!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Lazy feckers who take days off work with a slight sniffle on the basis that they 'don't want to pass it on to others' as if having a slight cold is a big issue ;)
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    He aims - he fires :)
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    The over use of the word "amazing".

What fucking superlative will people use when something is truly 'amazing'?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Bunneh wrote:
    Born again Christians (all of them).
    This.

Cats.
  • Coat hangers not hanging the same way on a rail
    Shirts not hanging on those hangers the same way round
    TV Presenters announcing their presenting buddy (One Show take note!)
    Seat tray latches on planes not being vertical
    People who say "...very unique"
    People who say "less" rather than "fewer" (when appropriate of course)
    Waiting staff asking you how your meal is four seconds after putting it down

I could go on......