GPS for navigation

tv
tv Posts: 338
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hello, I recently bought a Garmin Geko 201 to use for navigation but realise its not what I'm after!

I am looking to spend £100ish on a basic GPS unit, I don't mind about anything else like cadence etc but want something i can upload routes or gpx files onto!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you

Comments

• I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Ermm how about a Garmin Geko 201 like what you've got? You can use Memorymap or similar to upload/download routes including .gpx files. Been using mine for about 8 years now, a faithful little friend. Use "tracks" rather than "routes". The main drawback is it can only hold about 6 or so in memory. I also have a few local landmarks/towns marked on the Geko which helps a lot.
  • tv
    thanks for your responses, so can you navigate from tracks? I thought tracks were where you've been?! Would be great if you can follow tracks
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I haven't got the garmin in front of me but it's along the lines of...Pick a track that you previously saved or downloaded via Memorymap etc. Then select "Navigate" and then it asks whether you want to navigate to Start or End of track. Then an arrow will be displayed pointing in the direction of the nearest part of the track ( so it's easy to pick up in the middle of a track). Once you get on track, the arrow will point in the direction of the next track point etc etc. You can also change to the track view and follow the track that way.
  • tv
    ok, thank you, I will give that a go!