Puncture Proof Tyres

lotus49
lotus49 Posts: 763
edited November 2012 in Workshop
Has anyone tried these (see http://puncture-proof-tyres.co.uk)?

I can see how they might suit a wheelbarrow but I am a tad sceptical as to whether they are suitable for a road bike. Nevertheless, the idea of truly puncture proof tyres is very appealing.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sounds like a variation on the good old solid tyre idea that makes itself known on a fairly regular basis, using foam instead of a filled carcass. Can't see it maintaining its elasticity for very long, even if has the same spring rate and damping characterstics as a pneumatic tyre on initial use. The 'low wear, low rolling resistance' compound sounds like a surefire route to low grip, too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I don't like the way you have to lever the tyre into place, especially since the site claims you can use a standard screw driver to do it; that would seriously screw up some wheels. They do appeal though so certainly will keep an eye on this.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Bunneh wrote:
    I don't like the way you have to lever the tyre into place, especially since the site claims you can use a standard screw driver to do it; that would seriously screw up some wheels. They do appeal though so certainly will keep an eye on this.

I watched that video and thought exactly the same thing. Not only was he using an ordinary screwdriver without protecting the rim at all, he wasn't even trying to pull the tyre towards the rim and do a bit at a time.

I was talking to a friend of mine who knows someone locally who has these on his road bike so I'm going to see if I can have a chat with him about them. I remain sceptical but it would be good not to have to carry a pump/puncture repair kit/spare inner tube etc around all the time.
  • Nobody has come out with a better idea than a pneumatic tyre for over a century and I don't think Amerityre are the ones... in fact the pneumatic tyre is possibly the best invention of the past two centuries, it has allowed transportation to be feasible for everybody.
    They might be OK for kids bikes and city bikes aimed to totter around at 10 mph, but as a performance tyre it is bound to be junk
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I couldn't see me cornering at speed or having to stop in a hurry on a thin tube of foam.