aliexpress/alibaba.com

oli2001
oli2001 Posts: 350
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Anyone any experience of buying through these?

Comments

• looked at getting a chinarello and looked on there took to long to get a reply and their website is very disorganised imo. i ended up getting it from flyxii
  • Is the choice in the UK not wide enough that one has to go with a Chinese generic e-commerce trade? Personally I wouldn't bother if you want your warranty to have any value whatsoever in this country
    left the forum March 2023
  • oli2001
    oli2001 Posts: 350
    thanks for replies. just looked at flyxii, looks ok. ugo. thanks for your views, i seem to remember you advising me not to buy some 50mm carbon clinchers from carbonzone away back; anyway very happy with them and the service. looking for anyone who has experience of aliexpress/alibaba.com though
    cheers
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    dodgy looking site selling grey imports was mostly owned by yahoo of all companies although they recently (Sept '12) sold their 40% $7.6 billion dollar stake.

I think you'll be just fine buying from that site if you account for the fact that you might have a long wait on warranty returns and you might have to pay the import duties most seem to escape.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ps. I work in e-commerce but not for them I might add :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    If you are looking to direct-buy a carbon frame then take a (long) look at the threads on roadbikereview on the subject.
    Lots of waffle but also useful info to be had before you take the plunge.

V6.0
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes- ... 6-108.html
  • If you call your business Alibaba are you not supposed to be in charge of a company of 40 thieves? :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi
    I bought my Chinarello from Alibaba.com. The sellers name was Speedy Li. Cannot complain, frame seatpin and bars all arrived and look the part.Frame is now 16 months old and still looks like new and i,ve had plenty of complements about the frame also.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Aliexpress transactions are all Escrow I believe, so they only get paid when you are happy. Never had a problem with the few purchases I have made over the years.