aching legs, how long should i wait !!!!

pinarellokid
pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
seem to be suffering with aching legs after my last ride,

on Monday i rode a 20 mile easy ride, at night i did an hour of spinning class

Then on Tuesday i went on a ride which turned out to be 43 miles.

since then my legs are still tender and i feel it when i stand up.

should i be fitting in an easy ride to get my legs going again ?

or leave it now until my next spin class on Thursday night????

cheers
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Try stretching before and after your rides. For some it works for others it doesn't.
    I would advise doing it just after you close the garage door so no one has to be treated to the sight of a man in lycra getting bendy.
  • pinarellokid
    il give it a try next time.

just put some new bar tape on my winter ride today and stayed off the bike
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Stretching does little good and studies are looking at the benefit of it, are you used to doing 43 mile rides? Could just be your body recovering, give it a day then do a gentle ride and then get back into it and if possible do another 43 mile ride and build on that.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    If you are new to that sort of mileage, then your body just needs to recover. Give it till tomorrow and take it easy.
  • pinarellokid
    usually do 40 mile rides every 10-14 days
    and around 2-3 x 20 mile rides each week or so,

been riding since june and currently have 3 50 plus rides under my belt,

so not really a longer ride than im used to but i was tired for the last 5 miles.

may be the change in the weather or something

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    lawrences wrote:
    Try stretching before and after your rides. For some it works for others it doesn't.
    I would advise doing it just after you close the garage door so no one has to be treated to the sight of a man in lycra getting bendy.
    Eh no

Stretching cold muscle does more harm than good. Do it as part of a cooldown and as low to the ground as possible to aid venous return. The idea is leave your body in the state it was before exercising, not damage it before exercising.
    Briggo wrote:
    Stretching does little good and studies are looking at the benefit of it, are you used to doing 43 mile rides? Could just be your body recovering, give it a day then do a gentle ride and then get back into it and if possible do another 43 mile ride and build on that.

Please link to credible studies.
  • Briggo

Have fun googling.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    MTFU and ride those legs into the ground
  • pinarellokid
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    MTFU and ride those legs into the ground

i just knew you would say that haha!!!!!

• GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    cold water on legs, not as cold as ice bath but shower cold.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    GSJ wrote:
    cold water on legs, not as cold as ice bath but shower cold.

Nothing like a cold shower to look forward to after a freezing cold ride in the winter. :lol:

I'd personally prefer a hot bath, I also stretch my hamstrings in the bath and it feels better.
  • I'd go out for a short ride. Don't push it, just spin for around an hour. It works or me :)

I I'd 40 miles on Saturday followed by flat 10 miler on Sunday. My lets felt great on Monday. :D
  • pinarellokid
    my quick 12 ride it is tomorrow then,, if nothing else it will warm my legs up for the spinning class

the guy on a Thursday at the Mcr Velodrome is a a beast of a spin class teacher.

love it

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    Briggo wrote:

Have fun googling.
    So you can't provide any then?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    After a big ride I immediately down a protein shake (maxi muscle cyclone vanilla is current tipple) and neck some carbs. I try to do as soon as I stop and it makes a big difference to how quickly I recover. Your muscles need to rebuild in the immediate 24 hrs post exercise, they need protein and energy to do that.
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:

Have fun googling.

You lack the ability to google? Is it a physical or mental thing.
  • You might also want to consider cherry juice as a post-ride beverage as well.
    American medical studies have shown that it's high in antioxidants that [disclaimer] may decrease some of the symptoms of exercise-induced muscle damage as well as high levels of naturally occurring melatonin which may help improve the body's natural sleep patterns. [/disclaimer]
    You can pick it up in most main supermarkets (about 1.50 odd for a litre) or places like Holland & Barrett for concentrate / pill supplements.
    FWIW I have noticed an improvement in aching leg syndrome, although that could be down to a placebo effect......
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Totally agree about the stretching exercises, which do exist for cyclists. Never stretch before a ride, but always after. Essential after going from a 20 mile ride to a 43 mile one imo. You are merely helping your body adjust to the increased exersion.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "FWIW I have noticed an improvement in aching leg syndrome, although that could be down to a placebo effect......"

Do Holland and Barrett sell the Placebo juice as well?? :wink:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Briggo wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Have fun googling.

You lack the ability to google? Is it a physical or mental thing.

The statement you made
    Briggo wrote:
    Please back it up. If studies exist then you would know where they are. I am asking you for your sources.
  • I find that sometimes my legs are complaining (no actual pain just a dull ache, perhaps slightly sensitive) but actually once I get back on the bike they are fine and no apparent issues with regard performace.

A bigger issue is if my whole body feels tired regardless of the state of my legs .. if I go out on the bike then I usually discover that I'm in for a slow ride and just have to take it easy.

Just my experience .. and I'm still learning (so I can't say that recovering drinks/food immediately after a ride or stretching have ever helped although I have tried both and understand their logic too).
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Get to know your body, its capabilities and its limitations. I have periods when I can go on day after day, days when I know I can push on and days when I have to ease back. It depends so much on your conditioning and your reason for cycling. I have learnt this over 30 years of running and cycling and I still get it wrong. I will coach you ... For a fee ;-)
  • felt good today
    went to my cycling class again tonight and boy i am aching again now.

i wonder if i should be doing more in the post ride/ recovery area to help me a little..

im only 38 but i guess im not as young as i feel. maybe i need to be having milk/ banana smoothies.

or maybe a more modern version . of do i need to just get on with it.
    i did feel ok during the Wattbike ride