Whinlatter Tomorrow

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited November 2012 in Routes
I'm planning on doing Whinlatter tomorrow, probably both loops of the red. I've donce the blue and South loop of the red before - in fact this was my first trail centre visit. I presume the trails there all hold up well in the rain - it'd be a bit daft to have a trail centre in the Lakes that couldn't handle the rain.

I'm not the most technical rider ever, and will be avoiding any black features (particularly as I'm riding alone) - is there anything likely to surprise me on the North loop, which I've never done before, or is it similar to the South?

Comments

• Hi. It's been raining a LOT here today, but your right, the trails do hold up well. There is usually a few puddles, especially in the south side, but they have been cleared, or they had when I went round on Saturday, so it should be good. The North side is different to the South but not technically difficult if you take it easy. There will be a few people around as well so you'll be ok going on your own, I usually do, and often see others on the trail. It's a great ride, enjoy :D
  • Tis no more difficult that the South, but is a different type of trail.

North is definitely my favourite of the 2, some brilliantly fast, loose and tight trails!
  • mcnultycop
    Cheers both. I'll do the North first then the South, as at least I know what the climb is like on the South!
  • Just take it easy up the looooooong fire road on the North loop... some cracking views over Bassenthwaite Lake to the right to keep you occupied though!
  • mcnultycop
    From what I remember of the South loop climb it was long but steady with loads of switchbacks. I actually don't mind a fire road climb. What's the altitude gain on the North, similar to the South (apparently 200m according to the Forestry Commission website)?
  • mcnultycop
    Well I unintentionally did the Blue, as I was chatting to some people then ended up following them onto the Blue. I then only did the North loop of the red. I really enjoyed it, but it started snowing/hailing and my feet were freezing, so I didn't bother with the South loop.

There was one nasty surprise for me - a 90 degree bend just after a little drop down some rocks, but otherwise it was pretty much all ride-able for me. The drops on one side focus your attention though.