Whyte Stirling studded tyre dilemma.

TomPem
TomPem Posts: 4
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
I have a Whyte Stirling 2012. I am looking to equip it with studded tyres for winter commuting on small "B" roads which are unlikely to have been gritted.

I understand that the standard rims, "Alex Black Dragon 24", can only accommodate 700x28 tyres and there are no studded tyres made in this size. Is this correct?

To further complicate matters, while searching for information, I read a review of the 2011 model that contained this paragraph:

While we were initially quick to celebrate the road bike-esq short chain stays and tight clearances, when we had the snow at the end of 2010 we were quickly faced by a tyre choice limited to a maximum of 28mm slicks. This lack of versatility meant that the bike had to be abandoned in favour of a cyclocross bike and knobbly tyres. Given its MTB heritage this does seem odd to limit options, especially as the Stirling is billed as a commuter, not just as a pure road bike. Given its disc brakes as well, the option to run bigger treads would give it that mixed-surface usability.

Could you advise me on what options are available to me? Can the rims support wider tyres? Will the bike be able to have the rims replaced with wider ones or is “clearance” going to be a problem?

Any input will be greatly appreciated and might allow me to stay away from the job centre.

Comments

• TomPem
    TomPem Posts: 4
    After finally finding some useful information it seems like I am left with very little choice.

My rims are 622x15 so 700x32 is the widest tyre I can safely fit from my understanding.

Clearance is quite a large problem. The front has between 10m and 20mm in various places. The back has between 7mm and 15mm. I achieved these measurements by measuring the distance between the surface of the 700x28 tyres currently on the bike and the tightest places on the frame.

The only tyre I can find that might have a chance of squeezing in is the Nokian A10 which is 700x32, although a lot of sources say it is more like 700x30. As luck would have it there are no distributors in the UK.

Very rare to find something has a simple solution isn't it? If you can see any gaps in my research, and think this is clearly not worth trying, please tell me.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Simple solution: n+1

You are not going to be wanting to swap tyres backwards and forwards according to conditions, and even changing wheels is a bit of a faff when you just want to get to work. Then there is the risk of damaging your good bike in the poor conditions, and the salt on the roads that are gritted.

As always, n+1 is the answer.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Left-field option: make your own with tyres, packs of self-tappers and some spare time. I've also seen pictures of disk-braked bikes with zip-ties around the wheels & tyres, one even with a circumferential chain tied in place.
  • Wow, zip-ties around the tyres. There is some really creative minds around, I would never, in a million years, think of that. Think I am just going to buy a cheap bike for winter. Thanks
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    TomPem wrote:
    [...] Think I am just going to buy a cheap bike for winter. Thanks

Good man! n+1 and all that...

(Must admit, putting Marathon Winters on my "pub bike" doubles its value.)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    N+1 here. 23mm tyres for all weathers except ice and snow. Out comes the MTB with Snow studs for the slippy stuff.
  • smegma
    smegma Posts: 11
    I got some Nokian A10s from here:

http://www.starbike.com/php/suchen.php? ... =Nokian&q=

Had them in less than a week. I haven't put them on yet but it seems they're nearer 30mm than 32.

Jim