Lightweight XC wheels & tubeless if possible

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Lightweight 26" wheels needed to replace the stock ones on my anthem. Budget is about £120-150 max per wheel if possible and I'd like tubeless too. They are to have a 15mm bolt through axle.
What are your suggestions? I'm not going to becoming any crazy drops offs or hammering it downhill.
More for leisurely riding when outwits family or on my own and XC racing.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Superstar £200 Crest Switch wheels light enough? I've just bought the Flows and they are great.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Or the Superstar Tesla.
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    Or the Superstar Tesla.

How do superstar stack up to merlin?
    Are the teslas/crests better than a hope hub on a Mavic 717 rim?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take the Tesla hubs over Hope anyday. The rims, well the Crest is wider and lighter, the 717 heavier, but stiffer and tougher (in my opinion).
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd take the Tesla hubs over Hope anyday. The rims, well the Crest is wider and lighter, the 717 heavier, but stiffer and tougher (in my opinion).

Thanks supersonic.
    Is the rim weight that noticeable between the crests and 717s? I currently run a 717 and am pretty happy with it.
    I thought hope were decent? What's so good about the Tesla hubs?
  • mikeyj28
    if i get tubeless tape and valves for a Mavic 717 do I need 21mm or 25mm?
    Thanks
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll need 21mm tape, but they don't convert nearly as well as a Crest.

Personally I think the Crest is tougher, my 717s dented very easily.

I'd look at some of the German shops for deals. Slightly over budget, but these look good, or these fit the 'light' bill.
  • mikeyj28
    njee20 wrote:
    You'll need 21mm tape, but they don't convert nearly as well as a Crest.

Personally I think the Crest is tougher, my 717s dented very easily.

I'd look at some of the German shops for deals. Slightly over budget, but these look good, or these fit the 'light' bill.

Are they 15mm through axle compatible? I'd be saving a load of weight over my S-XC2
  • njee20
    Yes, both can be converted. Funworks are own brand hubs, so you'd need to get the conversion from Actionsports, DT ones can be had anywhere (but are probably cheapest from AS).

If you can live with white rims the 240 based wheelset is good value - the hubs alone are over £400 here.
  • mikeyj28
    njee20 wrote:
    Yes, both can be converted. Funworks are own brand hubs, so you'd need to get the conversion from Actionsports, DT ones can be had anywhere (but are probably cheapest from AS).

If you can live with white rims the 240 based wheelset is good value - the hubs alone are over £400 here.

Thanks Njee
    sorry for the blatant thickness i am displaying (& being at work so limited for internet time) once i buy the wheels i'd be good to go without any other expense (other than buying the conversion kit)?
    White rims are no issue to me if the wheels do a cracking job.
  • njee20
    If you want to run tubeless you'd need some tape and valves. Like the Mavics the DTs will be more faff to convert. Should be fine with tubeless ready tyres, but I suspect you'll struggle with non-tubeless tyres. The Crests on the 1390g wheels will convert more easily, it really depends if you want the 'known' quality of the DT hubs vs the Funworks ones which by all accounts are good, but you'd likely need to go back to Action Sports for freehub bodies, axles etc.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    FWIW, the Superstar wheels I got a month ago were very good in terms of parts and service, but they took a while to de-stress so the build quality was not great Front went out of true, then back in - back has been fine so far). OK so you can send them back for a service for free for their lifetime, but that's probably 20 squids just in postage.

Would nt put me off buying another set but budget in that you or the LBS probably will need to have a tweak sooner rather than later
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ddraver wrote:
    FWIW, the Superstar wheels I got a month ago were very good in terms of parts and service, but they took a while to de-stress so the build quality was not great Front went out of true, then back in - back has been fine so far). OK so you can send them back for a service for free for their lifetime, but that's probably 20 squids just in postage.

Would nt put me off buying another set but budget in that you or the LBS probably will need to have a tweak sooner rather than later

My (Superstar) Arch EX on Switch EVO/Trizoid are still true and good after a season of serious abuse in the Alps.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mikeyj28
    njee20 wrote:
    If you want to run tubeless you'd need some tape and valves. Like the Mavics the DTs will be more faff to convert. Should be fine with tubeless ready tyres, but I suspect you'll struggle with non-tubeless tyres. The Crests on the 1390g wheels will convert more easily, it really depends if you want the 'known' quality of the DT hubs vs the Funworks ones which by all accounts are good, but you'd likely need to go back to Action Sports for freehub bodies, axles etc.

Thanks for the info. I'll get the crests and some 21mm tape/valves and give it a go running tubeless.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

My (Superstar) Arch EX on Switch EVO/Trizoid are still true and good after a season of serious abuse in the Alps.

I have almost exactly the same, so there you are - not always bad, but inconsistent build quality...
    - @ddraver
  • mikeyj28
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I have almost exactly the same, so there you are - not always bad, but inconsistent build quality...

You can get that anywhere thiough and can be expected. doesn't mean the same person is on wheel building or the person may not have given as much attention.
  • ddraver
    agreed...not much help really was I? :(

;)
    - @ddraver
  • mikeyj28
    ddraver wrote:
    agreed...not much help really was I? :(

;)
    Haha but at least you brought it to the readers attention that your wheel was a dodgy one :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I got a pair of stans olympics on DT240S hubs for £140... Buying used wheels can be a bit of a gamble but you can get a lot for your money.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    I got the same for £120 ;-)

Admittedly they weren't in the best condition!

There's a set of XTR on Olmypics on STW at the moment for £120 (I think), look a little tatty, but decent wheels.