Posted to Leuchars (scotland)

Biggus86
Biggus86 Posts: 385
edited November 2012 in Routes
Yeah, as the titles suggests, I'm moving bases to Scotland (by choice haha).
Just want an idea of some good local routes/trails in the St.Andrews Dundee area. I know there's bloody loads of areas to bike in Scotland, was up in Aviemore couple years back which was awesome and got to Laggan. But yeah, just some local known routes would be great. :D

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    road -

there is a road / tri club based in st andrews, check with them

mtb......

pretty flat in fife, err sidlaw hills north of dundee, used to have a bomb hole so deep if you fell in it you could not climb out without a rope... (been at least 15 years since i was there)

and there is a dh track near the gas refinery (still think its owned by conoco), cardenden way

and further field - alva way there is a mtb course and campas may (is that right??) dj track

and in bonaly (edinburgh) there is another dh course

peebles and inners still further away
  • Biggus86
    Cheers, definitely not road haha. I've seen there's a fair bit nearby on google maps, but that's nothing to actually being there on the ground
  • spoke1
    spoke1 Posts: 2
    Hi Biggus86, try some of the trails in Tentsmuir Forest, right next to Leuchars if you head North-East out the Pitlethie Road. Turn off the road at the signs for Kinshaldy Farm/Tentsmuir Forest. It's mostly flat, but it's going to be right on your doorstep so It'll be a convenient network of trails for you. The Forest runs North right to the edge of Tayport and there's loads of trails leading to all corners of the place. As above, the Sidlaws, North of Dundee are not too far either.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Fife is pretty slack on decent hilly bits but XC wise there should be plenty to play around on. Tentsmuir is Ok if your mum is with you... :lol: The bike shop in St Andrews should be able to give you some info.

The Ochils - by way of Dollar in the East through to Menstrie and Bridge of Allan in the West have some good riding in them, none of it waymarked though. Bring yer Muddy tyres son and follow your nose. The climb up Dumyat is doable and the descent is a great 25mins blast all the way to B of A and the brewery for a pint.

Kinnoul Hill in Perth is being developed so try that.

Places like Dunkeld (head for Perth and wee bit North) etc have loads of trails some of which are waymarked and the local tourist geezers have a nice wee set of w/proof route cards they give out.

If you are really keen then Stirling Bike Club's MTB section (check out their forum) does a lot of rides all over Scotland you will have a trek to get there first though and then there is Dunfermline CC but I think they are mainly roadies.
  • Biggus86
    Cheers, Spoke/Redhog, will take what you said into account, though don't actually move into my house til the end of Feb, so no bike adventures for 5-6 weeks :(
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Welcome to the east of Scotland Biggus, I'm not much into the MTB scene but I can tell you that there is plenty of natural terrain all over to get you going, although, as previous posters have noted, the area round Leuchars is basically the only flat place in Scotland ;-). There are actually a couple of, well, relatively interesting bits in Tentsmuir across the old dunes just inside the forest. Just look at a map, e.g Sidlaws OS 25 thou will show you lots of places with XC and even some DH potential. Remember that in Scotland you are allowed to ride more or less anywhere - I ride through farmyards and fields of standing crops while walking my dog, for example, and it's totally legit as long as I stick to the drills and don't damage anything.
    Trails at all scales from small local-ish ones being developed at places like Kinnoull and (hopefully) Alyth, bigger ones further afield but only a couple of hours to the likes of Glentress and Wolftrax.

While you're at it, don't miss out on the ice cream shops of St Andrews (a short but tidal swim from Leuchars).