Overshoes

poshgit20
poshgit20 Posts: 2
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
Any suggestions on what brand of overshoe I would need for commuting . The overshoe would have to fit over my normal footwear and be waterproof. At present I am using two carrier bags, which although extremely effective are not always guaranteed to stay in place. I wear bulled shoes and ideally would like them to stay that way in spite of inclement weather.

Comments

• inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I use BBB Waterflex and stay very dry. Got mine from highonbikes on ebay, £22.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Planet X Overshoes £15 - better lasting than any of the others I've had. Work well with cycling shoes anyway.

If you're riding in normal shoes though - er dunno.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    ProRace Neoprene are good on their third winter now. My Planet X overshoues don't work well in the wet.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Planet X are good for keeping the feet warm, rubbish for keeping the feet dry.

However; they are what I use; that and radiators at work and home to dry them.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I find Lusso ones work OK, they have velcro fixing, not zips, so are easier to put on for me

Lusso tends to be fairly cheap
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    I ordered these Planet-X neoprene overshoes today. They look like they would go over my MTB SPD shoes without a struggle.

My feet were the only bits that got cold this morning, Still in shorts but I suspect I'll be trying out my bargain Lidl Bib Tights before long.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    cookdn wrote:
    I ordered these Planet-X neoprene overshoes today. They look like they would go over my MTB SPD shoes without a struggle.

My feet were the only bits that got cold this morning, Still in shorts but I suspect I'll be trying out my bargain Lidl Bib Tights before long.

Best regards
    David
    They look the same as mine (I paid £10 in spring) and they don't work in the wet, I'll get 10-20 minutes in moderate rain before my shoes start getting wet.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    cookdn wrote:

Best regards
    David
    They look the same as mine (I paid £10 in spring) and they don't work in the wet, I'll get 10-20 minutes in moderate rain before my shoes start getting wet.

Hmm, I'll see how I go. I'm more bothered about cold than wet. Yesterday was a dry morning but still started to turn my feet into ice blocks because of the cold air flow.

I'm in the car today (I can only cycle 4 out of 5 days and today is my rest day), I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the Royal Mail have pushed the Jifi bag from Planet-X through the letterbox rather than leaving a card. Planet-X insist on shipping items out to the cardholders address for the first order citing risk of fraud, this was in a phone conversation and I nearly cancelled as a consequence. I could understand this stance on a £1k bike, but on £15 overshoes that probably cost them about £5 ? :roll:

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    If you are wearing normal shoes, wouldn't a pair of climbing gators be a better bet?. I think they are called gators! They go around the shoe and a little way up the leg and are popular with climbers and ramblers.

Ok, they are called gaiters! Phonetics!

Jeebers, they can get expensive though :shock:
  • I would think that motorcycle overboots would work very well for normal shoes, they have a fully enclosed rubber sole normally, unlike cycling overshoes that are open at the bottom to allow use of SPDs etc..
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    alidaf wrote:
    If you are wearing normal shoes, wouldn't a pair of climbing gators be a better bet?. I think they are called gators! They go around the shoe and a little way up the leg and are popular with climbers and ramblers.

Ok, they are called gaiters! Phonetics!

Jeebers, they can get expensive though :shock:

The trouble is that water will still roll roll the inside of them.

Gaiters and overtrousers would work, but would be insanely hot, and most overtrousers probably aren't articulated for cycling...
  • I went for a pair of Endura MT500.
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... prod_id=26

So far they have kept my toes warm on my commute (only purchased a few weeks ago!)

My shoes are a size 46 so I went for a XL size. Bit of a art to get them on but you soon get the knack!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edgavin wrote:
    I went for a pair of Endura MT500.
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... prod_id=26

So far they have kept my toes warm on my commute (only purchased a few weeks ago!)

My shoes are a size 46 so I went for a XL size. Bit of a art to get them on but you soon get the knack!

Best of luck with those. I had a pair. The soles kept falling apart but endless re-stitching held them up until one of the zips broke and I returned them.

BBB and Planet X are much better.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I've got these

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... roazosh160

Best overshoe I've ever used, nice and waterproof and very warm as well.