Winter top with lonnnnnnggggggg sleves

PeeDee
PeeDee Posts: 88
edited November 2012 in Road general
Anyone know of any warm winter jerseys (0-8 degress C) with extra long sleves? All the ones I have tried either finish nearer my elbows than my wrists or are so large round the chest I could fit in there twice.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    What size would you normally wear to get an appropriate fit on the torso?
  • PeeDee
    I guess a large would be a good fit on the body in UK sizes, maybe XL in Italian brands. In casual wear,T-shirts etc, I could probably wear a medium for a snug fit, but in the length it would not reach down to my pants.
  • pearl izumi pro 180 - has quite long sleeves and thumb loopholes too.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Assos stuff generally has good length sleeves (cut specifically for riding rather than standing up), depends on budget though as crazy expensive (although you can pickup Airjack 851 softshell jackets for a decent price now the Bonka is out but you might be after something more like the Intermediate Evo or Habu?)
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    You cold just wear a long sleeve thermal base layer and short sleeved top over it like I do. Under Armour Cold Gear base layers are fab. They are very long in the body (covers most of my bum in a size large and I'm 6' tall) and the sleeves come just over the back of my hands if I don't pull the sleeve up tight under the armpit. I'm not overly long or shortin the arms mind you. They are great at wicking, wash superbly and just last and last. Worth a look I'd say.

PP
  • Amazon had deals on Helly Hansen Lifa Ice Crew baselayers. Merino wool with wicking inner. Ridiculously comfortable. Bought one for £25 and when it arrived I was so impressed that I ordered another. Worth mentioning that they're only £25 in large/black. They've got pretty long sleeves. Wore mine on a ride a week ago and it was spot on. Actually had to tuck the cuffs under my gloves.
  • I've got a Santini Aqua Zero top, I think it's from the H2o range, that is extremely warm, and the sleeves come up nice and long. I have a problem with sleeves generally, because my arm span is greater than my height, so sleeves always seem to come up short. I find that Santini jerseys in general, although I always need to size up because of the racing fit, are generous in sleeve length.
    Ridley Orion
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    You cold just wear a long sleeve thermal base layer and short sleeved top over it like I do. Under Armour Cold Gear base layers are fab. They are very long in the body (covers most of my bum in a size large and I'm 6' tall) and the sleeves come just over the back of my hands if I don't pull the sleeve up tight under the armpit. I'm not overly long or shortin the arms mind you. They are great at wicking, wash superbly and just last and last. Worth a look I'd say.

PP

Can't rate Underarmour highly enough! - The "ColdGear" stuff is amazing! I've got tops I used to play ruby in 3 or 4 years ago that were washed every sunday week in week out, that look brand new still! Plus they keep you extremely warm! Like yourself I wear a long sleeve coldgear top under a short sleeve jersey, or if its really cold I'll wear a long sleeve jersey over the top of my long sleeve coldgear top! - That generally does the job!
  • PeeDee
    Thanks for al the prompt suggestions.

Assos stuff is out of the question price-wise (maybe if I I save up I could aford some assos socks?). Even second hand on ebay it still costs a fortune.

I ordered two long sleeve marino wool base layers from Planet X yesterday, maybe they will do the trick under a summer top.

The Pearl Izumi looks very nice and quite long, but at an RRP of £130 it is a bit expensive. Maybe I can persuade someone to buy it for me for Christmas? I could just freeze until then. Winter riding here in Scotland can get pretty grim some days.
  • I have the pearl izumi pro long sleeved jersey and its brushed on the inside so it's nice and warm down to 5 c in my experience
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for Santini.

I've got great gangly arms and both my Santini tops fit brilliantly.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I have a muddy fox bright orange job from Sports Direct. Its warm, has long sleeves, Rear ppockets, and it only cost a tenner
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Being from Yorkshire and by association being 'ard I just wear a t-shirt underneath a long sleeve jersey.

I find that once I get into the hills along the way I warm up pretty fast, but the initial run along the flat bits can be horrendous if the wind's in your face.

Might look into the Under Armour though for when the cold northern winter really bites, sounds like a space age piece of kit that.
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/