Am I right to advise this...

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Bro is getting one of these two on the C2W scheme. I've said both will get you to work with basically the same effort so get one more suited to the stuff me and my mates ride for when he comes with us i.e. trails (Afan & Brechfa) and various mountains in the South Wales valleys. He's not going to be able to get an AM bike so closest possible...

Out of these two,

Cube Ltd Pro 26 2013

http://www.cyclecentreuk.co.uk/m8b0s168p12685/CUBE-LTD-Pro-26-2013

Saracen Mantra Expert 2013

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-expert

I told him to go with the Saracen for the following reasons:

1.) 20mm more travel
2.) 2degrees slacker head angle
3.) Shorter stem

But then the Saracen has a longer TT and WB?!

To me the Saracen is more trail orientated? In the long run I think the Saracen will take longer to 'outgrow' than the Cube. Or am I making a mistake and advising him incorrectly? Obviously we're going to try both, but on the whole am I right?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cube has better forks and drivetrain and finishing kit.
    Saracen has better brakes and tyres.

The cube is very XC orientated, the Saracen more UK trail.

I'd (as in for me) have had the Cube and it would be better on road, at Afan/Brechfa the Saracen will probably be the better ride though......neither is the right or wrong decision as it's personal as to which better means more to you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The longer TT and WB is because the Saracen wanted to have the same space in the cockpit, but shorter stem for more direct steering feel. Makes sense to me.

Personally I would go with the Saracen.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • concorde
    Cheers both, that's what I thought and told him. He's ordering in the Saracen to test on Friday.

It makes sense for more fun at the trail centres. Not too sharp on the Geometry so cheers for explaining the TT and WB.

The saracen is the right option for him, he'll probably be a C2W scheme abuser and it'll mostly be used at Afan!
  • concorde
    Bike came with deore shifters when I just had a look at it so that's a bonus!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The geometry and travel does not make it a better bike; it makes it different. Testing is the best way.
  • concorde
    Don't think I said it makes it better. Better at doing what he needs it for though. Which is not XC which the Cube very much is.
  • supersonic
    Neither did I lol, just advising that geometry is personal and many prefer steep set ups for certain types of riding. The Mantra is heavier and will steer more slowly, not every ones cup of tea: the Cube will climb quicker, turn through corners faster; but will be more twitchy on the downs. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cube would be his preferred choice, certainly would be mine. Hopefully some testing will sort it.
  • The Rookie
    Concorde wrote:
    I told him to go with the Saracen for the following reasons:

1.) 20mm more travel
    2.) 2degrees slacker head angle
    3.) Shorter stem
    Without saying why you would suggest it because of those factors your implying they are just better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The good news is that neither are bad bikes.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • concorde
    I mentioned wanting it to be more trail orientated and I said he can't get a AM bike in this price range, so it was pretty clear the kind of bike I was looking for, and geting something along them lines

I think if you pick an average person, they'd find it easier on the Saracen. Going downhill is what most of us do MTBing for and the slacker Saracen will be more confidence inspiring when pointed downhill. You can ride uphill on absolutely anything, fitter you are you can fly up on a DH bike. I ride with a guy that smashed climbs on his Orange Alpine 160. And you don't get scared riding uphill and it's far less fun. So on the whole I feel the Saracen was more suited to him, and to the average person buying their first mountain bike.

Pretty obvious what I meant, you pedants! :wink:
  • supersonic
    You can ride downhill on absolutely anything too. Now that's being pedantic ;-).
  • concorde
    supersonic wrote:
    You can ride downhill on absolutely anything too. Now that's being pedantic ;-).

Of course but if the two departments, uphill or downhill. I think it's more beneficial to have help in the down department.
  • The Rookie
    If your as unfit as me downhills are for taking a break and I'll take all the help uphill I can puffing well get! :lol:

I agree that MOST enjoy downhills more but I love uphills, it's whats having a lightweight (ish) XC biased bike is for.
  • supersonic
    It takes me 10x as long to get up them, so I like the lightweight lol.
  • concorde
    Each to their own. SS I remember you saying you like 70 degree HT angles, was it?! That's not my cup of tea one bit. Sketchy descending! But if that's what you like, can't fault it. I still feel I was right to advise the Saracen in the circumstances. Can be seen from my original posts what I was getting at was needed. He's happy enough anyway. We rode on the weekend and he didn't stop once on a mega ascent which I always stop on! Then again I'm unfit as! He thinks his bike feels light, last thing he had was probably an Emmelle steel thing when he was 12!

Everyone is happy, happy riding :)
  • supersonic
    Ha, I had an Emmelle, surprised it didn't put me off for life!
  • concorde
    So did I and from what I remember it was great fun! Rode down some steps on that back in the day that I wouldn't do today! Brave as a kid!