Rollers or Turbo ???

millsey_awm
millsey_awm Posts: 54
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I am more confused than ever now, with the amount of makes/models available in both options now :?

I was set on getting the Elite Chrono Fluid turbo for £150 (which is about my budget but could stretch a bit).

Now i am considering the rollers option as it seems a) to offer a better workout by improving technique (according to reviews b) less hassle in terms of potentially changing tyres, wheels, removing chain etc. You could i guess literally leave your bike as it is, do a workout on the roller, then if you wanted to go outside for a ride later on you wouldn't have to change anything.

As a 'newb' i really want to go for the least hassle option, in terms of having to buy additional tyres/wheels/cassettes etc. I also want to use something like TrainerRoad as well with whatever i get.

Be interested in your thoughts everyone :mrgreen:

Comments

• kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    I've got the Elite and Is very good for the price and rather low noise not like the Tacx I owned. Tried rollers but not for me ok at track to warm up but not at home.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the improving technique thing is a bit overhyped. How hard is it to pedal ?

I prefer a turbo as you can add resistance and get a harder session. Rollers are good - but you cant climb on them.

My turbo is fine for my tyres - I've never seen it wear them down.
  • It's not just pedalling technique (which is much more important than evidently you think!), but balance and control also.

If rollers weren't a very effective training tool professional racers would not use them, and they do. I have seen more pictures of and read more references to pros (eg. Chris Hoy, Lizzie Armitstead, Brad Wiggins) using rollers than turbos (even if they do use them also), and of course before turbo trainers existed they were the only option. On the other hand, turbo trainers are also thought by some to actually be harmful to one's technique.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i went for rollers, i liked the idea of motion and balance rather than having your rear axle shackled. Its more engaging to while away the time, and by use of gears and cadence you can get a good workout. Its really helped my strength and technique - you have to learn to be smooth on rollers.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Definitely one or the other.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I use an Elite Fluid and I'm very happy with it. I would go for a roller if I was racing, but I'm just a weekend racer/MTB'er so fitness is more important then technique. The put offs of a roller are the concentration needed for 30 minutes would drive me crazy, whilst the Turbo I just plug in my mp3 and go.

Also, I strangely like doing 1 legged pedalling - excellent for mountain bike situations up steep sections - which I doubt I'd be able to do on rollers.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Tacx turbo for me - the real life video training is excellent - prevents boredom
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Herbsman wrote:
    Definitely one or the other.
    Careful there Herbsman for having an outbreak of common sense, the BR forum police will be along soon to lambast you
  • Coming round to the idea of rollers i think. Been looking at the Elite Arion Parabolic.

Thanks for the advice all. Oops, seems as though your search returned different results to mine.

Oh well, i'm sure i wont be the last to raise a turbo v rolles thread :mrgreen:
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I have both a turbo and rollers.

The turbo is very good, a KK "Road Machine" that is easy to setup, very quiet and very reliable (both in terms of longevity and consistency of power vs load). I would definitely recommend one if you are looking for a turbo.

However I very rarely use it now. I do all my training on Cycleops rollers (these ones http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=cycleops+aluminum+rollers&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6219230198246605778&sa=X&ei=-fCQUJXJIuPF0QW__YDoCA&ved=0CGAQ8wIwAw

I upgraded to these after using some cheaper Tacx ones. Problem with those was no resistance so could not train at high power. I bought a resistance unit but it was friction based and got burned out after a few sessions. The Cycleops has magnetic resistance which is much more reliable (and quieter to boot).

The reasons I use rollers are:
    - They are more reliable in terms of power consistency between sessions. They dont have the issues turbos have with getting tyre/roller pressure just right, overheating tyres and/or overheating resistance unit. (They are gentler on tyres too)
    - The relationship between power and speed is pretty much linear. (it may or may not be for turbos depending on make). This makes training sessions easier in terms of hitting/staying within the correct intervals. It also means that, if you don't have a power meter, you can use speed as a satisfactory alternative.
    - You will pedal better. I know some people don't think this matters but they are just wrong.
    - Riding rollers feels more like being on a bike and is more absorbing. So sessions seem to pass more quickly.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Had both, hate both, both have pros and cons and its not until you try thme that you will know what you prefer. Had rollers and did enjoy them and what i learnt was that there is no need for a resistance unit (for Mr Average). i agree the turbo is less engaging but you can watch TV etc whilst using which for me is better.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's not just pedalling technique (which is much more important than evidently you think!), but balance and control also.

If rollers weren't a very effective training tool professional racers would not use them, and they do. I have seen more pictures of and read more references to pros (eg. Chris Hoy, Lizzie Armitstead, Brad Wiggins) using rollers than turbos (even if they do use them also), and of course before turbo trainers existed they were the only option. On the other hand, turbo trainers are also thought by some to actually be harmful to one's technique.

A lot of the time you see them on rollers - they're just keeping warm though - not properly training ?