Specialized vs Boardman vs Scott

I.T.B
I.T.B Posts: 7
edited October 2012 in Road general
Ok... I'll say straight off the bat that I'm relatively new to road cycling so I'm after some much needed advice.

I signed up yesterday and asked a couple of questions about sizing in relation to a Specialized Allez Sport I was thinking of getting. I have been dead cert on getting the Allez Sport 2013 and was in the shop about to put my money down when I thought I should walk away and have a little bit of a think.

I've since been thinking that I was being a bit hasty. Forget about the Allez for a moment. What about these...
- Boardman Road Comp Bike 2011/2012 £899
- Boardman Road Team Bike 2011/2012 £999
- Scott Speedster 30 Compact 2013 Road Bike £899
- Scott Speedster 20 Compact 2013 Road Bike £999

Yes, they are £100-200 more, but are they worth it? Specialized make good bikes but are you paying a bit for the name as well?

If it was a choice between the 5 what would you recommend? I've kind of come round to the idea that the Allez is the "go to" bike for people who want to get into road cycling.

Although I am relatively new to road cycling (18ish months) I'm prepared to spend a little to make sure I have something good that I won't want to upgrade in a years time.

I imagine these kind of posts are pretty boring to contribute to but if anyone could share their points of view I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Get the Allez
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    edited October 2012
    I got a scott S30 last month for £699 - last years model. Very happy. Great frame, 105 and tiagra gear sets, entry level wheels but good spec tyres. Specialized are great bikes but expect to pay a bit more for the name. Not a lot in it in terms of quality at this level. Take the one that feels best to you. Boardman get good write ups but there's a Halfords hate club here. Ignore them if it feels good for you.
  • no trek? :?
    MADONE 5.2
  • Personally i would say Allez due to being a specialized person and owning one.

However i have been discussing Boardman a lot lately all of they bikes in fact.
    i was looking at getting a Boardman road bike and that is the bike that the Brownlee brothers use to win the majority of triathlon.
    MY friend is paying off his Boardman mtb as for £999 it is such a good spec for a full suss

So no matter what bike they make they are pretty faultless they make a full aero bike for under 2k
    As Chris boardman has put his name to them they have to be pretty good.
    However i have heard rumours that they are merging or something like that with Specialized so they will go up and change.
    Also last year for £999 you got fully carbon and now you get alu with carbon forks.

So hope this helps
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Go to the shop and have a sit on them or preferably a testride.

Or compare specs and work-out what you prefer - might simply be the one you prefer the look/colour of or your image of the brand.
    All of these have cheap heavy wheels - it's how they get bikes down to a price-point.

I have an Allez and my wife has a Scott Speedster, friends have Boardmans.
    All of them are fine.

I wouldn't be too bothered which pro riders are sponsored to ride any of these brands, in tri's or at the Tour de France : they are not riding off-the-shelf sub-£1000 versions...
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I've owned a Boardman Road Race (base model), for 18 months now, and it's been a great bike. Only issue I had was rear hub shot at 12 month point; to be expected after a good few thousand miles riding on the north west coast in all weather :!:

I have upgraded a few things now, but only out of personal preference. I have been keeping an eye on the sales for a carbon road bike recently, but the spec of the Boardman Team Carbon for £1299 is still excellent VFM (IMO), and I would have no hesitation in buying another Boardman. Am holding on for the moment to see if they get reduced in a sale, but having said that you can get 10% off if your a British Cycling member :wink:

Like the look of some of the Specialized bikes, but spec wise you have to pay more than a Boardman, and I'm not that convinced I'd notice the difference for the additional money :|
  • I.T.B
    Thanks all.

Still quite confused though. I procrastinate over most things but when I'm looking at spending this sort of money (it's a lot for me) I don't see how I'm ever going to make my mind up.

Re: the Boardmans. I did pick up on a slight anti-Halfords thing going on but if they are solid bikes then is there a problem. Break the bike down and compare it component to component with other brands and surly there shouldn't be an issue.... or am I being naive.

2 points about the Boardmans though.
    1) I'll need to have someone who knows their onions when it comes to getting the right size etc and there is a niggle at the back of my mind that someone working in Halfords may not be the most qualified.

2) The Boardmans state that they're the 2011/2012 models where as the Scotts, Specializeds etc are all coming out with their 2013 models. It would be just my luck to go for a Boardman and then a few weeks later they come out with a new model. If I was to go for a Boardman then in the not too distant future I would be riding a bike that is already 2 years old.

Re: the Treks.
    I read in a few places that the 1.2 weren't up to much. Any thoughts on the 1.5 C H2 2013 or the Madone2.1 H2 Compact. They come in at similar price points to the 2 Boardmans and 2 Scotts I stated earlier.

PS. I'm new to this forum and am conscious that I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm sure the most common and therefore simultaneously most uninspiring posts are about what bike to get so I offer my apologies if indeed this is the case.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    1. Try them all out for fit and see which one is best.
    2. If the Boardman is either the best or joint best fit then buy it, it's much better spec'd for the price than the others.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The boardman's are great to buy second hand because they don't hold their value very well. I picked up my team carbon for £650 it was about 8 months old and was like new. I don't think it had been ridden more than half a dozen times. Its very well spec'd for the money. I had my eye on a spesh tarmac prior to that, but they would have cost another 4-500 used in similar condition.

The only thing I have changed is the saddle, the only maintenance required was to tighten the cranks.

If buying new I'd add Ribble to the list, you could get a basic spec carbon road bike for that money.
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    Just bought the Allez Sport and am well impressed, a bit heavy compared to my Focus Variado 1.0 but rides like a dream. Did 50 miles on it yesterday and felt totally comfy. Ideal winter bike for me as the Focus has been fed with chain lube and put into hibernation :)
  • I.T.B wrote:
    Thanks all.

Still quite confused though. I procrastinate over most things but when I'm looking at spending this sort of money (it's a lot for me) I don't see how I'm ever going to make my mind up.

Re: the Boardmans. I did pick up on a slight anti-Halfords thing going on but if they are solid bikes then is there a problem. Break the bike down and compare it component to component with other brands and surly there shouldn't be an issue.... or am I being naive.

2 points about the Boardmans though.
    1) I'll need to have someone who knows their onions when it comes to getting the right size etc and there is a niggle at the back of my mind that someone working in Halfords may not be the most qualified.

2) The Boardmans state that they're the 2011/2012 models where as the Scotts, Specializeds etc are all coming out with their 2013 models. It would be just my luck to go for a Boardman and then a few weeks later they come out with a new model. If I was to go for a Boardman then in the not too distant future I would be riding a bike that is already 2 years old.

Re: the Treks.
    I read in a few places that the 1.2 weren't up to much. Any thoughts on the 1.5 C H2 2013 or the Madone2.1 H2 Compact. They come in at similar price points to the 2 Boardmans and 2 Scotts I stated earlier.

PS. I'm new to this forum and am conscious that I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm sure the most common and therefore simultaneously most uninspiring posts are about what bike to get so I offer my apologies if indeed this is the case.

Mate, just get what you want. Bikes in any price range are, in comparisons between makes, much of a muchness – comparable weight, comparable quality groupsets/wheels etc. So it’s not as if, by purchasing in this price range and choosing your Tiagra equipped Allez Sport weighing in at 10kg, that that you are missing out on a 7.8kg Boardman equipped with SRAM Red, full carbon aero wheels and tubular slicks. Whatever bike you choose is pretty much the same as whatever you have not chosen. The only variables in my mind are style and comfort/geometry. Choose on that basis, I would suggest, and unfortunately only you know what fits you best
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    +1 to the above.
    You don't need a professional bike fit to know if a bikes too big or too small for you :|

To answer a couple of your points;
    Boardman don't update their bikes every year, but generally every 2 years.
    Halfords service and expertise questionable and varied. Some good reports, some bad reports. Do what I did and collect the bike still in the box. Easy to assemble without any intervention from Halfords.

I have noticed that some specs of bikes are lower for 2013 models than 2012 models, and there is a thread on this forum that debates this in more detail (can't remember where it is!), so worth looking at the differences.
  • I.T.B
    "Mate, just get what you want. Bikes in any price range are, in comparisons between makes, much of a muchness – comparable weight, comparable quality groupsets/wheels etc. So it’s not as if, by purchasing in this price range and choosing your Tiagra equipped Allez Sport weighing in at 10kg, that that you are missing out on a 7.8kg Boardma..."

I think you've got a point. It's probably safe to say I've been over thinking it.

I'm just eager to get the best I can for my money.

There's been some genuinely helpful comments so I say sincerely - thanks all.