What would be your choice?

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have finally settled on a pay-out from the insurance regarding replacing my stolen bike (you may have seen some of my other threads on here :wink: ).

Basically I will have to get a bike from Halfords as the equivalent bike they came up with was a Voodoo Bantu (to replace my nearly two year old Mongoose Tyax Elite 2010) and if I didn't accept a bike from them (they also use Wheelies but the bike was some "land Rover" bike ?!!?!? ) then the insurance company would pay-out directly but it would not be to the value of £399, it would have been more like £299 because they don't get a discount from the supplier - all a bit of a con really but hey ho.

Anyway - I am now going to be sent a Halfords voucher for just over £600 (£399 to match the current price of the Bantu and a bit over £200 to cover the cost of the accessories, so..........

My options are:

1) Get a Voodoo Hoodoo (I think it would be more worthwhile spending the extra over the Bantu). Only 'slight' reservation over this is the paint work, I’m not sure how long that would last? This is currently £499 (Seen it cheaper recently though) but if I join the British Cycling Scheme I gather you get 10% off from Halfords so this would make it £449? Then get some accessories with the remainder of the voucher.

Or,

2) Spend most of the voucher and get a Boardman Comp. Currently £649 but could be £584 with the British Cycling discount? Then less accessories.

Voucher lasts for 12 months so in no hurry to get something immediately, might be a discount on some time soon with Christmas coming up?

Opinions please??

Comments

• Boardman. Get accessories for Xmas!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    If you already had a bike... What accessories do you NEED?
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    After reading MBUK november issue test they did I would look at the Carrera Fury for 600
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'd choose the boardman comp at that price point.
  • stiscooby
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    If you already had a bike... What accessories do you NEED?

Well, I had lights, lock, computer and pump. The light fixings were still on the bike as was the lock and the fixings and sensor for the computer. As parts for each were missing I can no longer fix them back onto the next bike so insurance is going to replace for new items.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check you can use discount with the vouchers before you decide....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stiscooby

Good point, I will check that :wink:

Anyone else got any comments regarding the bikes? :?
  • stiscooby wrote:

Good point, I will check that :wink:

Anyone else got any comments regarding the bikes? :?

My voucher has turned up today - It would seem I cannot use any other discount voucher with this so looks like the Boardman may be riding off into the sun set without me :cry: I have also noticed it's £699 not £649 as I think the cheaper one is the ladies version :oops:

How often do Halfords have sales on for the boardmans?

May well have to end up getting a Hoodoo?
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    They just increased that price this week. They bumped £150 onto the price of some Carreras to etc. i would wait a while, they will run some promotions soon for sure. They are doing it on the Apollo bikes the last few weeks so the better bikes will be on offer soon or they will have that spend 400 get 40 off etc
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Halford's pricing is about as coherent as Crudcatcher.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools