Vélo d'Or 2012

TimB34
TimB34 Posts: 316
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Wiggins was a shoe-in (and rightly so)

But best French rider Thomas Voeckler? KOM and double stage winner at the Tour, which sounds pretty good...

... until you look at who came second: Julie Bresset.

Now this is not the first time a woman has featured - Jeannie Longo was second in 1996 (when she was Olympic Road Champion), and it's not the first time a mountain biker has featured - Julien Absalon won from 2004 to 2007 (all the details here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9lo_d'or_fran%C3%A7ais)

But this year Mme Bresset is National Champion, World Champion and Olympic Champion, a triple that I'm pretty sure has only ever been achieved by one other cyclist in any discipline (Absalon in 2004, also in XCO)? I stuggle to think of what she could do to impress the judges any more (except either switch to the road and do it again in four years time, or possibly have a sex change).

C'est une scandale.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Voeckler:

Winner of Brabantse Pijl (absolutely owned the Belgians on their territory, in the pouring rain, solo)
    4th at Liège-Bastogne-Liège
    5th at Amstel Gold Race
    8th at the Tour of Flanders
    7th at the Worlds in Valkenburg
    7th GP Quebec

2 Huge TdF stages
    Polka dot jersey

HEAVYWEIGHT

And next year he is focusing on the Classics given how well he went this year (first time he has targetted them some). Good times. Looks like he has superb one day legs.

252-PIC272190907.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TimB34
    <Insert picture of rosy-cheeked Breton farm girl here>

I guess that winning the three biggest races of the year by crushing margins really doesn't count for anything against aesthetics.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    edited October 2012
    With you 100% Tim

She's won a handful of world cups this year too, not to mention featured in the final of some of the XCE's too!

wmtb_dsc4753_600.jpg

Julie-Bresset.png

3481769386_06f39cfa7c.jpg

Cos photos win the argument! 'sepcially the last one
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    I see your point, but you cannot belittle Voecker's achievements. 95% of the pro peloton would have loved that 2012 palmares.

I have never heard of that lady and I'm sure there aren't many that have. She also rides an mtb. And 2nd is a pretty good ranking don't you think...out of every single french cyclist, male or female.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    With you 100% Tim

She's won a handful of world cups this year too, not to mention featured in the final of some of the XCE's too!

You are an mtb rider tho not a road rider ; )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    This lady is French

tumblr_lvsv6iUEXj1qacyk6o1_400.jpg
    rodez_2011_062.jpg
    Pauline-Ferrand-Prevot-couleurs.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I see your point, but you cannot belittle Voecker's achievements. 95% of the pro peloton would have loved that 2012 palmares.

I have never heard of that lady and I'm sure there aren't many that have. She also rides an mtb. And 2nd is a pretty good ranking don't you think...out of every single french cyclist, male or female.

But the ranking isn't based on "most famous" or "who a fan of road cycling exclusively has heard of", it's the best overall rider. I'm split on who should win it, as I'm not sure how strong a field exists in womens MTB at the moment.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Very well played Frenchie, but this is the only French rider for me....

6374709439_7a67935fa6_b_600.jpg

Shame she rides CX not proper bikes though
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Mind you this on is making me waver...

IMG_8795-vi.jpg

What is it about the mud splattered look....?
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Decent one ^^. She rides in the US though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    ddraver wrote:
    What is it about the mud splattered look....?

Its an implication of "mucky". And we all enjoy that aspect.
  • frenchfighter
    Prevot also comes from cross.

2011-world-cup-heusden-zolder-32-pauline-ferrand-prevot.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Isn't this getting a bit, I dunno, sexist? Arguing that some women riders are more deserving of attention and praise because we find them attractive?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Are you trying to start an argument? No one has said anything close to what you are suggesting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dipping into this thread, there is starting to be a wee hint of perving going on, it has to be said.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Dipping into this thread, there is starting to be a wee hint of perving going on, it has to be said.
    yup . agreed. (i like it though) :D:D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Isn't this getting a bit, I dunno, sexist? Arguing that some women riders are more deserving of attention and praise because we find them attractive?

But they are.

No one likes a minger.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    edited October 2012
    I think Mme Bresset should be Velo d'Or becasue she's chuffing dominated all season...no more, no less.

Have the commuters taken over Pro Race or something?
    - @ddraver
  • Are you trying to start an argument? No one has said anything close to what you are suggesting.

But instead of discussing the rider at hand, you post up a load of photos of pretty ladies splattered in mud?

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited October 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    I think Mme Bresset should be Velo d'Or becasue she's chuffing dominated all season...no more, no less.

Have the commuters taken over Pro Race or something?

You, o rodent one, are a true admirer of top class exponents of the sport, and are clearly blameless of any perving :)
  • frenchfighter
    Are you trying to start an argument? No one has said anything close to what you are suggesting.

But instead of discussing the rider at hand, you post up a load of photos of pretty ladies splattered in mud?

Go and check the first reply to this thread.

Done?

Ok, good.

Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Frenchie...I am only teasing. A little.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567

Go and check the first reply to this thread.

Done?

Ok, good.

Thanks.
    Please carry on posting the pics - only a disgruntled goat could find a reason to object to pics of good looking women spattered in mud...
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    You all better behave yourselves or DDD will be complaining about the content of this thread. :D
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I've replaced the mud with something else in my head
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    So this Velo d'Or. It's a mud wrestling competition, right? Great. Is it on YouTube? Just point me to the ones with the blonde chicks, not the one with Wiggins and Voeckler - I don't want to see that. But I'll have a fiver on Voeckler anyway.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TimB34
    You guys are worse than a jury of French journos! :lol: