Repairing tear in bib tights?

copperthorpe
copperthorpe Posts: 82
edited November 2012 in Road general
Has anyone got any tips on how to repair small rip on a seam of my Bib tights-do I replace them,take to someone to mend or try myself?
C49

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I ve the same problems and have found 3 options:-

Sew it up yourself (if you can sew, which I can't)

Stick a GoreTex repair patch over it (apparently)

Take it to a tailor

I'm away with work but when I'm back I'm trying option 3 as they re literally 1 ride old!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you repair yourself I would stick the join outside (which is the opposite of what you normally do) depending on the location to reduce it rubbing. Most dry cleaners will off a repair service. You can also get iron on patches.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Mine have had holes sewn up (not by me). They look fine, and haven't torn any further.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    had mine done by dry cleaners and you would never know (sewn up)
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    My mother in law fixed my hole.....ooh er missus! It was a rip in the knee from a fall so needed trimming prior to sewing. She used one of her old swimsuits to make a patch and then sewed that in brilliantly neatly. You can see it is a small patch, but very tidy and you can't see the stitching. They were double thickness at the knee, so she could sew on the inside of the outer if that makes sense...

PP
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If they are Assos they have a free repair service
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    i used a wetsuit repair kit (sheet of iron-on stuff, cut to size) to fix multiple holes on the thigh area caused by an off (this was on a pair of castelli body paint bibs)

applied patches on the inside, the patch is soft, there's no chafing/catching

the insurance got me a new pair, so i use the patched shorts for commute/training, they've done c. 400 rides+washes now, the patches are still smooth, it really worked well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    My wife fixed a small tear in my bib tights. The repair has lasted just under a year now. She just sewed up the hole with needle and thread.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Send them back to Assos for a free repair, if they are not Assos stop being so cheap. (Please note I dont actually own a pair of Assos bib tights, so I am one of the cheap people),
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    My mother in law fixed my hole.....ooh er missus! It was a rip in the knee from a fall so needed trimming prior to sewing. She used one of her old swimsuits to make a patch and then sewed that in brilliantly neatly. You can see it is a small patch, but very tidy and you can't see the stitching. They were double thickness at the knee, so she could sew on the inside of the outer if that makes sense...

PP

Is your mother in law now swimming with an exposed nipple? :lol:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Thanks everyone.....went down the mother-in-law path,all your replies remind me of two things
    1.Great forum for all problems
    &
    2.99.9% of cyclists are good,decent & helpful people.
    C49