The Spring Classics 2013 - how many days to go???

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
edited December 2012 in Pro race
I'm officially bored now of the Lance talk.

Time to start talking about the Spring Classics?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert ... f-flanders
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    This is exactly the thread we need in here!! I was in Belgium at the weekend and I also can't wait for the classics. I went on the Phil Gil ride and then drove up La Redoute. It really got me excited for next year.

COME ON GILBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AL
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited October 2012
    I know its not a classic, but before the big races kick off, I'm actually looking forward to the Strade Bianchi (3 Mar). A a beautiful race. Remember Fab's solo last year?
  • Wonder how Cancellara is going to do next year. If this year was Boonen's year, maybe next year will be Cancellara's!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What is there to fill the time to then? Getting a bit fed up of the tour of Burkina Faso! There was some track racing on eurosport but that seems to have gone now and the sky plus box never recorded the tour de France 2013 presentation.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 477
    Which are the best classics to go and see then? I am bit hooked after the world champs last year and fancy a bit of one day action across in belgium somewhere. Amstel / Flanders / Paris Roubaix?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    What is there to fill the time to then? Getting a bit fed up of the tour of Burkina Faso! There was some track racing on eurosport but that seems to have gone now and the sky plus box never recorded the tour de France 2013 presentation.

Cross! :D
  • Mooro wrote:
    Which are the best classics to go and see then? I am bit hooked after the world champs last year and fancy a bit of one day action across in belgium somewhere. Amstel / Flanders / Paris Roubaix?

Paris Roubaix. Without question! Even if it's not in Belgium. Oh and Amstel isn't either... :wink:
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Mooro wrote:

Roubaix awesome just because it's Roubaix. But Amstel is great fun - get down to Valkenberg, see the race pass 3 times and consume your own bodyweight in alcohol :)
    Liege also excellent - my (not particularly surprising) recommendation would be get on to La Redoubte.

Looking fwd to finally getting to see RVV this time round, if plans come to fruition - am excited already!

Classics always the best part of the season - GT's are fine, but they're not as good as the real thing ;)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Actually, the best thing to do is go for a week. So either do Flanders, Pino Cerami and Roubaix or Amstel, Fleche and Liege. Take your bike over and ride when there isn't any racing to see. :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Whatever happens, Hushovd won't win a monument.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I also expect Boonen to pick up another monument.
  • Oooh, I like it. Is there anyway to bookmark these predictions? :D
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Mooro wrote:

Liege Bastogne Liege is good, me and my girlfriend went in 2011, had a great time, milled around the start area looking at all the bikes and buses (in Liege main square), saw the start, then went to one of the climbs near the end, amazing atmosphere. I guess that is the case with any of the Belgian classics though.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 477
    Actually, the best thing to do is go for a week. So either do Flanders, Pino Cerami and Roubaix or Amstel, Fleche and Liege. Take your bike over and ride when there isn't any racing to see. :D

i like this option. The problem is the kids are in school, so i have to pull them out for a week (risking their total failure in life due to missing a weeks colouring and brawling (or so the teachers tell me)). [joke - any teachers!]

If i could find out when the 'lottery' for the amstel sportive is i would bag that definitely. At the moment i am favouring a week out to see some classics, and then the world champs again in florence.

Valkenberg is a bloody great place, and the saturday night after Vos won the WC was a fantastic atmosphere.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mooro wrote:
    Actually, the best thing to do is go for a week. So either do Flanders, Pino Cerami and Roubaix or Amstel, Fleche and Liege. Take your bike over and ride when there isn't any racing to see. :D

i like this option. The problem is the kids are in school, so i have to pull them out for a week (risking their total failure in life due to missing a weeks colouring and brawling (or so the teachers tell me)). [joke - any teachers!]

Do Flanders and Roubaix. Flanders is on Easter Sunday and Roubaix the week after so should tie in with school holidays.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I cannot wait for PR 2013. Getting emotional already!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Is Sagan going to target any monuments or will he target the green jersey a bit more?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Jez mon wrote:
    Is Sagan going to target any monuments or will he target the green jersey a bit more?

I think Sagan would destroy the Classics. The hilly Classics anyway...
  • Pross
    Jez mon wrote:

He's going to win them all in one season ;)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited October 2012
    I'm going to wheel out my "Sagan hasn't won a one-day race, apart from Slovak championship, since the GP Kooperativa in 2009" fact again.

I do expect him to win something big next year though. Maybe Amstel.

Most excited to see Geraint Thomas back on the cobbles.
  • Every race next season with any lumps is going to be prefaced by a chorus of 'Sagan's going to smash this', isnt it?

Sigh...

Yeah, Turfle, bring on G! Very much looking forward to seeing him back in action.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Mooro wrote:

Flanders. Spectators are mental. Great options of pubs and events with big screens close to parts of the route where the riders will ride.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sagan's aims for next year: Ronde van Vlaanderen, Paris-Roubaix, LBL, Fleche Wallonne and green jersey at TdF
    http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-divers_ ... 28636.html
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Turfle wrote:
    Most excited to see Geraint Thomas back on the cobbles.
    That's what I'm most excited about for 2013. (But then I'm biased).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    FJS wrote:
    Sagan's aims for next year: Ronde van Vlaanderen, Paris-Roubaix, LBL, Fleche Wallonne and green jersey at TdF

I wish riders would show more ambition! ;)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I wish riders would show more ambition! ;)

He named every race apart from the one I predicted him to win!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Until this year for previous 16 years a 5day (cheaper) trip by car (& bike) on the 7am Wednesday boat (for a big breakfast) and the drive to the Fleche Wallonne.
    Then 2 days Tourist before 2 nights in Liege for Saturdays presentation & Sundays Race followed by the dash to Calais for the 2100 ferry.
    Tourist could be Bastogne (Nuts City) and the German 1944 winter breakout, (the film was Battle of the Bulge) or nip into Luxembourg, Holland or Germany.

I've done R.V.V. and also Roubaix but the crowds are so large now and I hate Gridlock traffic so I watch TV. (well I know the roads)
    There are so many races over the Flanders roads to pop over with less traffic for a midweek race and join the locals in the bars. (with TV of course)

I am expecting something from the SKY team next Spring. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It would be great to see G and Stannard at the front at the business end of Flanders / Roubaix. Stannard looked like a monster on several occasions last year - British nationals, Vuelta lead outs, worlds and in particular Olympic road race. Big gap to close to Boonen based on last year, but he must be one of the most likely challengers.
  • deejay wrote:
    Until this year for previous 16 years a 5day (cheaper) trip by car (& bike) on the 7am Wednesday boat (for a big breakfast) and the drive to the Fleche Wallonne.
    Then 2 days Tourist before 2 nights in Liege for Saturdays presentation & Sundays Race followed by the dash to Calais for the 2100 ferry.
    Tourist could be Bastogne (Nuts City) and the German 1944 winter breakout, (the film was Battle of the Bulge) or nip into Luxembourg, Holland or Germany.

I've done R.V.V. and also Roubaix but the crowds are so large now and I hate Gridlock traffic so I watch TV. (well I know the roads)
    There are so many races over the Flanders roads to pop over with less traffic for a midweek race and join the locals in the bars. (with TV of course)

I am expecting something from the SKY team next Spring. :roll:

Bear in mind that at this rate we'll all be taking it in turns to DS for them...

However, I'm going to hold out hope that between Yogi, G and EBH, we get to see some Sky action which doesnt result in them being turned over like a kipper