Andy Murray interview

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Well quite good but expressing surprise at how long cycling got away with it, its all about watts and then claiming that tennis is about skill.

On the plus side he acknowledged there was precious little testing done. (21 ooc tests in one year accross the whole professional sport)

well presented but its all about the skill???????

note he talks about base and december, hmmmm no advantage in doping when working on base then...............

hes looking a lot bigger too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis ... cling.html

Comments

• Plus the cumulative effort of all that international travel through time zones throughout the year.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Didn't Murray have a whinge about how intrusive OOC testing was a couple of years ago?

Only 21 OOC tests in a year is laughable
  • Vino'sGhost
    r0bh wrote:
    Didn't Murray have a whinge about how intrusive OOC testing was a couple of years ago?

Only 21 OOC tests in a year is laughable

he did :roll:
  • Murray's quotes have a few examples of inconsistencies and nonsense (dismissing winning the Tour as no-skills-necessary is particularly daft).

However, lets give him a break - a person can see the light and change their position. At least he's now talking about tennis and doping controls in a constructive way.

Nike are mahoosive sponsors of tennis. The smart athletes need to start wising up and take a sponsor-friendly position re doping.

The absence of the use of blood tests apart from at French events, is interesting - echoes what Joey Barton said in his blog i.e. that the PL footballers only take urine tests, and that he'd only ever had a couple of blood tests in his career (I think?)

BTW Serena Williams didnt have any tests over the entire 2010-11 period.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i cant believe that anyone would suggest that serena does steroids. and of course the poor maid was frightened by out of competition testers one night and hid in her inner sanctum and seems to have got away with it. much on this on tennis blogs. it seems that it is not politic to bust her because she is rich, powerful and influential in the sport and the scandal would have enormous repercussions and hit sponsorship. now where have i heard all that before ...

yes, nice to see andy talking some common sense at last instead of his usual schoolboy rantings. i think he has been quite critical of intrusive and out of competition testing in the past but at least he is having it done and presumably passing which has got to be a good thing. It was interesting to see how he went from spindly kid to man mountain in a short space of time though
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Mikey23 wrote:
    It was interesting to see how he went from spindly kid to man mountain in a short space of time though
    That is all a bit too much Asylum for me. Any pro tennis player with personal trainers and all the time to train will bulk up in their early 20s. He was never freakishly large, freakishly young unlike Nadal.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    nathancom wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    It was interesting to see how he went from spindly kid to man mountain in a short space of time though
    That is all a bit too much Asylum for me. Any pro tennis player with personal trainers and all the time to train will bulk up in their early 20s. He was never freakishly large, freakishly young unlike Nadal.

I'm pretty sure I was as much of a "man mountain" in my early twenties - went to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, did lots of weights, it really wasn't hard. Murray's physique is nothing like Nadal's was when he first broke through. Not saying he's clean of course.
  • BTW Serena Williams didnt have any tests over the entire 2010-11 period.
    Much of that time she was not able to compete because of a cut tendon in her foot after stepping on some glass, although she did win Wimbledon in 2010 just before that happened.
  • Murray talks rubbish about technique. Most people a capable of being competent with a racket. I learnt all the shots and serves as a child.
    Tennis has changed a lot in the last 15 years. Less about technique and more about endurance and strength.
    In tennis there once were serve volleyers and baseline players. Now since the balls have been slowed for hard-court and grass-court, so baseline players dominate. Less skills required for this type of player but they need far more endurance. Tennis today is much more about wearing down the opponent until their technique suffers and they miss hit their shots.
    Epo and blood transfusions would have the same impact on tennis as it does with cycling. If two equally skilled opponents who doped played a match, the Rallies and games would last longer than without doping and the games would be tight. If only one were on it after a few equal games the doper would begin to dominate while the other just gets tiered and starts hitting the net and wide shots.
    Same for any sport (ie soccer) that requires technique. If you lose your breath, your technique and control goes out of the window.
  • BTW Serena Williams didnt have any tests over the entire 2010-11 period.
    Much of that time she was not able to compete because of a cut tendon in her foot after stepping on some glass, although she did win Wimbledon in 2010 just before that happened.

True, but that really shouldnt have any bearing on OOC tests surely?

Also she did win a lot during the period including Grand slam singles and doubles titles, runner up US Open 2011, and a fair number of non-Grand Slam titles.
  • nathancom
    Murray talks rubbish about technique. Most people a capable of being competent with a racket. I learnt all the shots and serves as a child.
    Tennis has changed a lot in the last 15 years. Less about technique and more about endurance and strength.
    In tennis there once were serve volleyers and baseline players. Now since the balls have been slowed for hard-court and grass-court, so baseline players dominate. Less skills required for this type of player but they need far more endurance. Tennis today is much more about wearing down the opponent until their technique suffers and they miss hit their shots.
    Epo and blood transfusions would have the same impact on tennis as it does with cycling. If two equally skilled opponents who doped played a match, the Rallies and games would last longer than without doping and the games would be tight. If only one were on it after a few equal games the doper would begin to dominate while the other just gets tiered and starts hitting the net and wide shots.
    Same for any sport (ie soccer) that requires technique. If you lose your breath, your technique and control goes out of the window.
    Tennis players have significant recovery times after each point though so doubt they are entering the red zone for very long at a time whereas in cycling once you are racing on a climb you don't have much of an opportunity to recover really which massively boosts the effectiveness of EPO, delivery bucketfuls of oxygen to your muscles when your opponent is already anaerobic.
  • Vino'sGhost
    nathancom wrote:
    Murray talks rubbish about technique. Most people a capable of being competent with a racket. I learnt all the shots and serves as a child.
    Tennis players have significant recovery times after each point though so doubt they are entering the red zone for very long at a time whereas in cycling once you are racing on a climb you don't have much of an opportunity to recover really which massively boosts the effectiveness of EPO, delivery bucketfuls of oxygen to your muscles when your opponent is already anaerobic.

Errr at the risk of being abused by you, you're wrong on so many levels there.
  • nathancom
    nathancom wrote:

Go on then? Don't mind being educated if I am wrong. ;)

Oh and if i remember right you tried abusing me and clearly didn't enjoy the reply so grow up.
  • Vino'sGhost
    nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Oh and if i remember right you tried abusing me and clearly didn't enjoy the reply so grow up.

yup i was right, but self help might work, look up a bit about how people use EPO and when. And i believe my comment above was a reference to your style of attacking anyone in a purile and childish manner (see above for recent example)

muppet
  • nathancom
    nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

yup i was right, but self help might work, look up a bit about how people use EPO and when. And i believe my comment above was a reference to your style of attacking anyone in a purile and childish manner (see above for recent example)

muppet
    haha go argue with yourself, I couldn't care less.

Now if I am wrong please explain how.
  • Vino'sGhost
    nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

muppet
    haha go argue with yourself, I couldn't care less.

Now if I am wrong please explain how.

boring. try looking for something yourself instead of just using whats brought to you. If you cant find the truth about the benefits of epo from valid sources and rely on posters on a chatroom for your education then i probably cant help you.

I'm sure you'll need the last word

blocked
  • nathancom
    Handbags at dawn or you are a cad.

Want me to get your mummy for you?
  • Vino'sGhost
    that wont be neccescary, I'd get your dad but i imagine the list of possibles is a long one.
    Bring your boyfriend if you want
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    This comment is about right:
    Slow courts, 15-17 mins games, hard slog from the baseline, general lack of skill and versatility, serve & volley game banned to the history, super-human effort [strength required here] to belt the ball with ever more topspin but with diminishing benefit as far as increased ball-speed is concerned, etc., etc.

Bring back the natural surfaces, skill [à la Federer], serve & volley game and see that most of those problems with regard injuries will go away; tennis will become more pleasurable to watch.

I started reading the next comment but stopped after:
    Anyone who has followed cycling and tennis over the years would have to be wilfully blind not to see the similarities in the approach to doping:

- Negligible funding devoted to anti-doping
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Vino'sGhost
    when I see the amount spent on doping controls it makes me wonder if many sporting federations are really that interested in catching cheats. But then without enough funding, what can they do?

Do the orgnisors of these events (including cycling) not have to stump up to fund it in return for governing body approval?

If the tennis tournament organisers do and the total budget is just over a million dollars then the organisers must be making token payments. Of course if theres no problem theres no need to test particularly heavily........
  • This comment is about right:
    Slow courts, 15-17 mins games, hard slog from the baseline, general lack of skill and versatility, serve & volley game banned to the history, super-human effort [strength required here] to belt the ball with ever more topspin but with diminishing benefit as far as increased ball-speed is concerned, etc., etc.

Bring back the natural surfaces, skill [à la Federer], serve & volley game and see that most of those problems with regard injuries will go away; tennis will become more pleasurable to watch.

I started reading the next comment but stopped after:
    Anyone who has followed cycling and tennis over the years would have to be wilfully blind not to see the similarities in the approach to doping:

- Negligible funding devoted to anti-doping

....driven by zero interest on part of both sets of intl federations to kill the cash cows by having them test positive
  • I dont care what Andy Murray says, hes a miserable, Scottish c*nt.

I'll never forgive him for the English comments he made a few years back. The kid needs to remember who bailed his sh*tty little country out financially when the banks went tjts-up.

And lets be honest, he only won the US Open because Federer couldnt be bothered to get out of bed and Nadal was too busy hanging out the back of a couple of line judges.
  • Insideinfo wrote:
    I dont care what Andy Murray says, hes a miserable, Scottish c*nt.

I'll never forgive him for the English comments he made a few years back. The kid needs to remember who bailed his sh*tty little country out financially when the banks went tjts-up.

And lets be honest, he only won the US Open because Federer couldnt be bothered to get out of bed and Nadal was too busy hanging out the back of a couple of line judges.

See, that's what this forum needs. More of such intellectual, valuable and thought-provoking commentary and opinion.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Insideinfo wrote:

See, that's what this forum needs. More of such intellectual, valuable and thought-provoking commentary and opinion.
    :lol:
  • nathancom
    Insideinfo wrote:

He's the best tennis player to come out of Britain in the Open era...

1) he was still very young when he made those comments and what is wrong with Scottish people wanting their own identity? I am not Scottish but what he said is just a tongue in cheek jibe.

2) he won his major fair and square and there is no way it deserves to be belittled. He beat the best opposition available and he has played probably the best tennis of anyone this year, he should have won Wimbledon as well.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Insideinfo wrote:

aaaaaaaaaaaand breathe :)
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Insideinfo wrote:

Insideinfo. Congratulate yourself on being of the same opinion as 80% of all the other idiots in this country. You are distinctly average; a brilliant achievement.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Guys, will you stop arguing and slagging each other off. Please.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    De Sisti wrote:
    Guys, will you stop arguing and slagging each other off. Please.

Ach yes. Sorry. I never meant to get involved and then my fingers just went crazy and started typing! Sometimes its hard to hold back. :roll:
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Insideinfo wrote:

Heres the truth on those comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQsHBwkDgQ
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016