My first carbon road bike :-))

Comments

• daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    Very nice indeed....congrats. I've gone carbon recently and it's soooo much smoother than ally.

Is that the new 'stealth grey' Ultegra? I like!

Only one mudguard though?
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daveb99 wrote:
    Only one mudguard though?

Indeed - and if I was only going to put one mudguard on, it would be the front one.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Great looking bike (except for the mudguard).

Practical though they are - mudguards look hideous.
  • rolf_f
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Great looking bike (except for the mudguard).

Practical though they are - mudguards look hideous.

That's what Crud Racers are for - I reckon my carbon Ribble looks better with them on than without!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Thanks guys, front mudguard fitted today. Trek Madone 3.x have threads front and rear for guards - the front have eyelets that screw into the forks. The LBS didn't have the eyelets in stock so fitted the rear form me and ordered them in along with a carbon seat post. They arrived yesterday and I popped down there today for them to fit them for me.

I'll post updated photos tomorrow.

Thanks to Bridgetown Cycles, Cannock for all their help.
  • Gizmodo
    DSCF3093.JPG

As promised, an updated photo with both guards. Went out for my first proper ride on it this morning and was quicker everywhere - except at 11 miles when we had to stop to fix a rear puncture! Still, it felt great (not the puncture).

I know guards spoil the look of any bike, but I don't believe in Winter bikes - why would I want to ride anything other than my best? Can't wait to take them off in the spring.
  • rolf_f
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I know guards spoil the look of any bike, but I don't believe in Winter bikes - why would I want to ride anything other than my best? Can't wait to take them off in the spring.

This is the thing about Crudracers - they don't spoil the look of the bike. And taking the mudguards off in spring doesn't stop the bike getting cacked up by rain which does still fall all year round. Get yourself some Cruds asap :lol:
  • Gizmodo
    Rolf F wrote:
    This is the thing about Crudracers - they don't spoil the look of the bike. And taking the mudguards off in spring doesn't stop the bike getting cacked up by rain which does still fall all year round. Get yourself some Cruds asap :lol:
    Sorry but I'll have to disagree - all guards, including Crud Racers, spoil the look of a bike. But it's nice having a dry bum!
  • rolf_f
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Sorry but I'll have to disagree - all guards, including Crud Racers, spoil the look of a bike. But it's nice having a dry bum!

Naaah, my Gran Fondo looks rather better with the Cruds - but you do need to use the short tail on the rear. The long tail does spoil the look and the only difference is you soak the bloke behind but that doesn't matter!
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Thanks to this thread I bought myself some Cruds - so thanks for the mudguard chat! I agree that they do look pretty smart - in a "fit for purpose" kind of way. And come Spring 2012, when they come off again the bike will look, and therefore BE, faster. Sorted.
  • Gizmodo
    PhilPub wrote:
    Thanks to this thread I bought myself some Cruds - so thanks for the mudguard chat! I agree that they do look pretty smart - in a "fit for purpose" kind of way. And come Spring 2012, when they come off again the bike will look, and therefore BE, faster. Sorted.
    lol - From "My first carbon road bike" to "Thanks to this thread I bought myself some Cruds" - brilliant, glad to be of service :D

I definitely agree with your last sentence - "come Spring 2012, when they come off again the bike will look, and therefore BE, faster. Sorted."

To go back to the original subject, the Trek Madone 3.5 - BR have just done a review - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-trek-madone-35-12-45692
  • Looks proper smart, nice one.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    Thinking of getting a Trek, can you answer a quick q, are the mudguards specific trek ones, or will any do and what width tyres do you think you can run with the mudguards on?
  • Gizmodo
    andyxm wrote:
    Thinking of getting a Trek, can you answer a quick q, are the mudguards specific trek ones, or will any do and what width tyres do you think you can run with the mudguards on?
    Strange story there - they tried to fit the Bontrager guards in the store, the rear was no problem but the front wouldn't go between the forks. So they tried to fit Giant guards, but the rear didn't have the right bolt holes.

So I ended up with Bontrager rear, Giant front. I am sure that Trek have got them sorted now, I bought the first 2012 model from the store so they were very new.

Tire width, I've only ever used 23mm, never tried anything else.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Very nice but do yourself a favour and keep that mudguard off the bike. It's a beautiful bike, but a mudguard won't adorn it!
  • I have to agree until its right pissing down keep them off.....very nice bike congrats........ :mrgreen:
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    How the flippity blumen blasty 'eck do fit those sodding mudguards?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    p9uma wrote:

I got my LBS to do it as it looked a wee bit tight fitting........and the LBS agreed but did a great job for me.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Lovely bike, is that more of an audax ride, as the stem seems high (which I prefer?)
  • p9uma
    jay197 wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

I got my LBS to do it as it looked a wee bit tight fitting........and the LBS agreed but did a great job for me.

Is your the same bike? Which mudguards did you have?

Well, I have taken mine to another LBS, I got a message today to say my bike is ready, so I'll pick it up tomorrow, hopefully it will be done.

Fitting the specific Bontrager mudguards to this bike has been a pain in the bottom.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    Just got back from collecting the bike, all tickety boo. It needed extra long bolts to go in the threaded brake holder holes and a couple of spacers as well. Why the flippin eck don't that tell you that and supply what you need when you buy the bloody mudguards!
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Those mudguards are just Ranktastic, practical but grotesque all in one curve