My first fall

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Yesterday I fell on some newly resurfaced Tarmac. Back wheel slips from underneath me and hit the deck pretty hard. Nothing broken just bruised up and in pain.

However it has knocked my confidence a bit where I feel like whenever I'm riding in the rain I'm just going to fall. Any thing to overcome this or is it a case of just MTFU and keep riding?

Comments

• andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I wouldn't say MTFU as a few bad falls from my MTB left me feeling the same way offroad (oddly though it didn't affect my onroad confidence). However the only solution I had, and I think it's what others will say, is get back on the bike. If it was an accident caused by pushing things a bit too much, e.g. leaning hard in a corner, maybe don't go so hard next time. If it was one of those 'could have happened to anyone' because of an unexpectedly loose road surface just remember that you're no more likely to crash now than before, so get out and ride!

Beyond that there's the usual question as to tyres, but so long as you have a good pair I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Yes, just take it easier around the corners. I learned that lesson the hard way myself earlier this year (combination of new tyres and a grimy road did it for me). You're not alone!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited October 2012
    Welcome to the club, you know you've over cooked a corner when you go sideways.

I bust my shoulder last year, 20mph round a corner covered in diesel on knobbly studded tyres.

Keep riding and learn from it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. I live in buckshaw village and everything is still newly surfaced and I didn't go In particularly fast in to corner and was really shocked when I hit th floor. I think I must have gone in at least 5/6 mph. But I did most of my bike ride 21.1 miles in the rain without falling, only on the new part of my estate so I guess I shouldn't feel too disheartened. really wanted to go on the bike to work tomorrow but both knees, hips and shoulder bruised up so I gotta take some rest.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    When I fall, I find it takes a few minutes to compose myself and calm down, check my self and my gear over. Then take it slow for the rest of the way.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.