Stripped allen key bolt

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to remove the stock grips from the new bike to put on some more comfortable ones that I've used on a previous bike, I got the first three nuts loosened without difficulty using the 3mm allen key on my multi-tool.

However, the final one was tough, and in trying too hard I've stripped most of the inner from the bolt head without making progress.

Without wanting to make things worse, I've left well alone and replaced the other bolts. Any tips as to which tool would be best suited to resolving this? I thought perhaps a flat screwdriver might be able to be jammed in so as not to slip out, or in the worse case I can drill it out. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• try 4mm allen key and tap it in with a hammer, see if it will go, if not drill the head off
  • larkim
    Cheers - would have thought that 4mm would be too big, but will give it a go. Might struggle to tap one in though as I think I only have allen keys on multi-tools - might be a job for fleabay to get a 3.5mm one.

As I typed, I thought perhaps it might be possible to use some pliers to squeeze the grips a little tighter and get some slack that way, so I'll try that too.

Matt
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Try hammering in a torx head first, it would work much better.
  • ^^ that!! if youve a torx bit, tap one of them in, often works a treat!! have managed to do the same on some on mine and the torx bit worked,
    if youve any plusgas type penetrating liquid a little drop on it may help too,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If your getting rid of the grips have a go with a dremel or a sharp bit in a elecy drill and take the head off the bolt. Then apply brute force and or ignorance.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • larkim
    I applied both of the last two in the end. Couldn't get anything to bite at all, so tried wrenching it off. That worked up until the grip started to crack and came off in my hand leaving the bolted part behind.

Tried some more wiggling until I realised that was scraping the paint off the bars.

Finally ended up sawing through the aluminium part of the grip with a serrated kitchen knife, until I got too close to the bars to risk scratching further. In the end forced a small chisel into the channel I'd sawn and that finally popped it off.

Wish I'd never started :-)

Matt
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Get a hack saw and cut a line in it (centre) and get a flat head screwdriver on it problem solved
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Bit late. I also done this number of time soft metal. Try to borrow or buy a extractor set drill hole or tap in set to undo with bolt pincher holding body of bolt.

F8Wm9eON
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • larkim
    sigorman85 wrote:
    Get a hack saw and cut a line in it (centre) and get a flat head screwdriver on it problem solved

Would have done, but the bolt wasn't proud of the "gasket" so there was no way to get a hacksaw in to create a line across.

The other thing which helped me to struggle was the angle it was in at (under the bars, pointing diagonally upwards) as well as the fact that trying to tap anything into it required me to secure the bike up against something solid.

Lesson learned - don't try to remove tough bolts in the dark, and if it feels stuck - stop!!! - before you do any damage!!
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    [quote-The other thing which helped me to struggle was the angle it was in at (under the bars, pointing diagonally upwards) as well as the fact that trying to tap anything into it required me to secure the bike up against something solid.
    quote]
    remember you can losen the stem and rotate the bars :-)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    craigw99 wrote:
    [quote-The other thing which helped me to struggle was the angle it was in at (under the bars, pointing diagonally upwards) as well as the fact that trying to tap anything into it required me to secure the bike up against something solid.
    quote]
    remember you can losen the stem and rotate the bars :-)

And turn the bike upside down :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8