stupid computer question

bobs bikes
bobs bikes Posts: 589
edited November 2012 in The hub
right, start to laugh now!

i have got my wireless router set up at work and the pc's work fine, connecting automattically and stuff.
i have gone a bit posh and bought me a new phone, which i can do wi fi, email and all that guff..... but here lies the problems.

..... i cant remember the passwords for the wifi to connect the phone!

is there any way of dialling into the router via one of the computers to obtain the password?

also, setting up email on the phone. it asks me for pop3 ports and smtp stuff, where would i find that info?

sometimes i miss my old nokia!
haha.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bobs bikes wrote:
    is there any way of dialling into the router via one of the computers to obtain the password?
    Yes. but you might need to have a wired connection to do it. Router password whould be on the bottom of it. there might even be the Wireless password.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • the POP3 and smtp settings are to do with who your mail is hosted by if your email is on a freeserve server then it would be pop.freeserve.com, the smtp settings are for who your phones with, so smtp.orange.co.uk for instance,
    if you type 'Setting up email on *insert your phone model here* into google you'll most likely find a detailed walk through out there, pretty much all phones are covered,

wifi wise, it depends who your internet is through, if its BT and youve not changed the original code then on the back of the hub is a pull out with the code on it, quite a few routers have the code on the bottom or back on a sticky label, most isp's will have an access point on the net that you can log in and view your settings, some you used to be able to access by configuration.adsl in the address bar, alternativerly, a quick call to your internet suppliers will reveal all the answers you need! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Not if they didn't supply the wireless router.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    RE email troubles, if its an android phone its generally much easier to set up a new Gmail account for it. The Gmail app also tends to work better than the email app for other accounts.

Unless you have changed the router password, the default should be written somewhere on it
  • hi guys, thanks for that info.

right, well, i have changed the password from the one on the router, but it was a long time ago and i really should have written it down!.... so i either remember it (which wont happen!) or i find a way round it.

the new phone is a sony android thing and i have gmail set up on it, although i need to access the works email which is on my own server. the email on the pc is running through horde?
  • If its your own domain name then chances are for the POP is will be mail.your domain name .whatever you have ie: mail.smith.co.uk your smtp will be the phone carrier
    Hth
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    bobs bikes wrote:
    hi guys, thanks for that info.

right, well, i have changed the password from the one on the router, but it was a long time ago and i really should have written it down!.... so i either remember it (which wont happen!) or i find a way round it.

the new phone is a sony android thing and i have gmail set up on it, although i need to access the works email which is on my own server. the email on the pc is running through horde?
    Just factory reset your router. There is usually a button or similar to do this. It will then default to its original password. Google the default username and password for your router before you reset it!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Or turn it upside down and find the password on the bottom
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2