Avid Elixir - new brake fluid + brake pads but still rubbing

alex_uk
alex_uk Posts: 56
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Pads rubbing a lot, so I've replaced the fluid + put new pads in. Reset the pistons as part of bleeding. Lever is no longer spongy, but pads do rub a bit.

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bleed in does not fix a poorly set up caliper.

check caliper alignment and then go and ride it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alex_uk
    Yes, I tried the caliper alignment but there just seems to be no clearance between pads and rotor.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    This was before you started messing with them?

If now, there will be less clearance as you've got new pads. Reset the pistons right the way home. Or you've over filled.
  • alex_uk
    Was really rubbing before I started. And lever was very spongy.

I loosened caliper mount bolts (to the fork) and visually realigned it to be true.

Then followed the Avid manual for bleeding/replacing the fluid. So I don't think I've overfilled - in fact, if I let some fluid out presumably I would just be letting air into the system??

Now the lever is nice and crisp (not spongy any more). The pads rub a bit, but not as much as they did.

And yep, the pistons were pushed right back in as part of bleeding.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Well ride it then and let it all bed in.
  • alex_uk
    Cool. thanks for your help Chunkers and Nick.
  • alex_uk wrote:
    Was really rubbing before I started. And lever was very spongy.

I loosened caliper mount bolts (to the fork) and visually realigned it to be true.

Then followed the Avid manual for bleeding/replacing the fluid. So I don't think I've overfilled - in fact, if I let some fluid out presumably I would just be letting air into the system??

Now the lever is nice and crisp (not spongy any more). The pads rub a bit, but not as much as they did.

And yep, the pistons were pushed right back in as part of bleeding.

Sounds like you have to much drag on your pistons ( sticking pistons ) This is a very common problem with Avid Elixir and Juicy for that matter. You can get calliper rebuild kits that will solve this problem. Its normally easiest to get the full kit with new O rings and new pistons. Stripping and cleaning the caliper then rebuilding with these new parts should stop pad drag ( assuming your rotor is true ) and will also stop leavers pumping or up being stuck very soft.

For best performance, reliability and durability from Avids you must fully drain and refill the fluid regularly as well as clean and lubricate the seals/pistons.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Stripping and cleaning the caliper then rebuilding with these new parts should stop pad drag ( assuming your rotor is true )

HOWEVER before spending out on a rebuild kit - try cleaning the pistons, it will quite likely work to free up a sticky piston, and costs nothing, so would be a good first step.
    For best performance, reliability and durability from Avids you must fully drain and refill the fluid regularly as well as clean and lubricate the seals/pistons.

Overkill - once clean, fresh fluid is in there, and assuming there are no leaks, it doesn't need touching, probably for a couple of years.